Wednesday, October 03, 2012

COLLEEN'S STYLE & DIET PROFILE


As a small part of the work I am doing on this blog, I intend to search near and far for fellow fashion enthusiasts to find out about both their personal style and their personal eating habits. I know this sounds strange, but I do it in my job as a nutritionist sometimes. Occasionally a patient walks in to my room who looks exceptionally great in the clothes/accessories they are wearing, I ask them where they got ‘it’ from and we have a little 2 minute natter about that; then I ask them about their eating habits. Two interesting pieces of information that stimulate me, so why not blog about it!

Thus, the Style and Diet Profile outlines a person’s fashion style and their typical day’s diet. I then comment generally on the diet by carrying out what I call a DIET MOT

I thought it was only fair that I start off with a few of my very own Style and Diet Profiles and Diet MOTs, so here’s the first one!



NAME: Colleen Campbell

CITY OR RESIDENCE: Birmingham

OCCUPATION: 
Registered Nutritionist and I guess I can now call myself a
blogger…..?

PERSONAL STYLE/TAG CHECK:

FEMININE ANDROGYNY 

 In this photo I’m at work, and I’m wearing: Trousers Asos Collection, Top Oasis,  Wedges, soyoushoes.co.uk

WHAT I ATE TODAY:

Breakfast: a bowl of no added sugar Alpen with semi skimmed milk and a glass of fruit juice

Lunch:  turkey roll with wholegrain bread, a pack of Kettle Chips crisps and a small carton of fruit juice

Dinner: spaghetti bolognese with grated cheese and salad, and a glass of sparkling water with a dash of no added sugar cordial

Snacks: fruit, nuts

Drinks: water with a squeeze of lemon first thing in the morning and then water in between my main meals



DIET MOT
(The diet MOT uses the reported day's diet to assess 10 key principles of a healthy eating regime)

1. BREAKFAST

I always start the day with a glass of water and the juice of one whole squeezed lemon. It's really refreshing and I feel cleansed, revitalized and ready to start the day -  well of course I haven’t had a drink for 7 hours when I wake up.

I have never skipped breakfast in my life; even when I am not hungry I eat breakfast. Studies show people who eat breakfast have a more balanced diet than those who skip this meal, are less likely to be overweight, lose weight more successfully and have a reduced risk of developing diseases. I tend to go for a carbohydrate based breakfast, because after an overnight fast I find it really refuels me mentally and physically. My fruit juice counts as one of my 5 A Day (of fruit and vegetables!).

2. WHOLEGRAINS

Since the Atkins Diet revolution, there’s controversy surrounding the consumption of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are not fattening. In fact gram for gram they contain the same amount of calories as protein. What makes carbohydrates fattening is the quantity we eat and the amount of cheese, sauces and butter/oils we put on them. I always go for wholegrain; it’s more nutritious, containing various vitamins and minerals and it works wonders for the bowels. The Nurses Health study showed that women who consume more wholegrain weigh less and have less heart disease. I enjoy my turkey roll, it keeps me away from the vending machine mid afternoon. 

3. FRUIT & VEGETABLES

Unless you have been living in another universe you will know that government policy recommends we eat five (80g) portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables each day -  5-A-DAY. Studies show that people who eat a large variety of fruit and vegetables each day are at lower risk of developing diseases such as obesity, heart disease and some cancers. They are low in calories and high in fibre so they can of course help with weight management too.

Today I have snacked on fruit  -  grapes, plums and apples. I enjoy my fruit. I have a sweet tooth and whilst I'd love to munch my way through a pack of Haribos, the grapes and apple in particular tend to satisfy my sweet tooth throughout the day. I do have a second glass of fruit juice with my lunch, but this does not count as a second portion of  my 5 A DAY. A glass (150ml) of unsweetened 100% fruit or vegetable juice counts as a maximum of one portion a day, however much you drink. That's mainly because juice contains less fibre than whole fruits and vegetables. Although healthy, if you are trying to lose weight I do not recommend more than one glass of fruit juice per day simply because of the calorie content.

The salad represents the vegetable portion of my 5 A Day of fruit and vegetables.

4. PROTEIN

Today I've had spaghetti bolognese with a sprinkle of cheese and a salad. Yes you can mix carbohydrates and proteins! Just out of preference, I tend to use quorn mince. I'm not vegetarian, I just think it's tastier and the added bonus is that quorn is lower in calories and saturated fat than beef mince. The quorn is still a great source of protein. I've also opted for turkey in my sandwich which is another good low fat protein source.

5. DAIRY

From your Mid 30's (yep that nearly includes me!), you start to lose calcium causing a thinning of the bone, therefore calcium is important for strong bones and teeth throughout the life cycle, not just during childhood.

Two great sources of calcium in my diet are the dairy products - the milk in my cereal, and the cheese I add to my pasta. I do use cheddar cheese, but you do need to be careful with this as it is high in saturated (bad) fat, which can raise blood cholesterol levels if eaten in large quantities, and it is also very high in calories. A daily portion of cheese is equivalent to a matchbox size and no more!

6. HEALTHY FATS

Not all fats are bad. We actually need some fat in our diet to function, so do away with those zero fat diets, you will only be miserable. Fats which are considered better for our health are the unsaturated fats/oils and omega 3 fats. In fact these healthy fats can reduce our risk of heart disease. I cooked my evening meal with olive oil, which is a type of monounsaturated fat (MUFA). Fortunately I prefer the taste compared to other oils. MUFA's can actually promote the healthier type of cholesterol in our blood. In addition I snacked on a  small handful of nuts  (my pack contained brazils, walnuts and almonds), which also contributes to my healthy fat intake. You will notice I had a pack of crisps with my lunch. Yes I’m a nutritionist eating a bag of crisps! As part of a balanced diet, you are allowed a very small amount of the‘naughty’ foods each day, but I am picky with the types of crisps I go for. I opt for crisps that are relatively low in saturated fat (the bad fats) like the Kettle Chips.

7. SUGARS & UNHEALTHY FATS

Unhealthy fats AKA bad fats AKA saturated fats include all the yummy foods we like  - full fat cheese, meat and meat products such as sausages and pork pies, pastries, pasties, butter, lard, cakes, biscuits, chocolates -  you get the picture. High intake of these types of fats are linked with raised levels of bad cholesterol and of course weight gain!

I've been very good with my sugar intake today. My main vice is sweeties, especially Haribo's - they really are made for grown-up's too. If they are in front of me, especially open, I would struggle to resist temptation.

8. SALT

I do add salt to the water when I am cooking pasta, but I am very mindful of the amount I use because I know too much salt can increase my risk of developing high blood pressure, which is a risk factor for heart disease and stroke. The problem is that salt is hidden in lot of ready made foods, even foods you would not expect like bread and cereal, which could porbably account for why on average we eat 2.5g more than the recommended salt limit of 6g per day.

9. FLUID INTAKE

The general recommendation is to drink 1.5-2 litres of fluid each day to reduce the risk of dehydration which can leave you feeling tired, constipated, nauseous and increase your frequency of headaches and urinary tract infections. Drinking fluids replaces lost fluids and helps get rid of waste products.

Generally all fluids count towards your daily fluid intake. Water is my ‘in between meals’ fluid of choice. It’s the gentlest on my teeth and it’s zero calorie content affords me my crisps treat at lunchtime. I go through about 1 litre of mineral water a day. It doesn't have to be mineral water, that’s just my choice. Tap water is perfectly fine, although I feel sorry for you guys in the hard water areas. When I lived in London I realized how lucky I was in terms of drinking water to have been brought up in a soft water area lol.


10. ALCOHOL

 I do drink some alcohol occasionally, but I haven't today! 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen,

    Just to say how informative your blog is. I have learnt more about nutrition and you have provided some practical advice on how to lead a more healthy lifestyle.

    Can't wait to read the future updates.

    Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaaw thanks Mel, and yes there's loads more to come...

      Take Care

      Colleen x

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx