Thursday, January 31, 2013

FASHION VERSUS FOOD


What wins?

Credit















FROM FASHION TO NUTRITION 



Further to my previous post -  ‘Loving My Berries’ - where I discussed my love for and the health benefits  of strawberries,  I thought I would build on this topic a little more after coming across a recent study on how strawberries and blueberries may cut heart attack risk in women. Now even if I wasn't a Registered Nutritionist, I’d take note because: 1) I’m a woman and 2) three times more women die from heart disease than breast cancer.

So this study, which was published in the journal Circulation, reported that women who ate at least three servings of blueberries and strawberries per week may reduce their risk of heart attack by as much as one-third.  This is down to the healthful antioxidant (you've probably seen this word on your facial creams) content of the berries that provide cardiovascular benefits. I must point out that this research does not suggest that other fruit do not have cardiovascular benefits; it’s just strawberries and blueberries were used in the study because they were among the most popular fruit consumed.  

I, of course, have always supported the consumption of fruit and vegetables as part of an overall balanced diet, but eating a variety  is key - not just 5 apples a day, or 5 oranges a day. So here are my simple words of wisdom: aim for at least 5 portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables each day, and try to incorporate at least a few servings of strawberries and other berries each week. I know berries are not in season right now, but frozen berries are just as good! For more information see my previous post 5-A-Day.

My favourite way to eat strawberries is with some low fat natural yoghurt. Do you like strawberries and how do you like to eat them? Oh, one other question, would you say you eat the recommended 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day?

 Later x

KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR HEALTH, AS WELL AS THE LATEST FASHION TRENDS LADIES!

12 comments:

  1. I don't like the berries in the uk, partly bc they are not in season and yet they sell year round. I like in season berries...but I don't think about 5 a day to be honest! But I would eat that Chanel berry bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, in-season berries are the best. Can't wait till Summer. oooh but you must try to get in your 5 A Day hun. I was indulged by the bag too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such interesting seasons, I love berries!!

    http://alittlebitunique.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great article on latest fashion. I really appreciate your thought process and having it explained properly, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    After visiting your blog, I invite you to join us in the "International Directory Blogspot".
    "International Directory Blogspot" It's 165 Countries and 8790 Websites !
    Missing yours join us
    If you join us and follow our blog, you will have many more visitors.
    It's very simple, you just have to follow our blog, enter your Country and your blog url in a comment, and you will be automatically integrate into the Country list.
    We are fortunate to be on the Blogspot platform that offers the opportunity to speak to the world and to share different passions, fashion, paintings, art works, photos, poems.
    So you will be able to find in different countries other people with passions similar to your ones.
    I think this community could also interest you.
    We ask you to follow the blog "Directory" because it will give you twice as many possibilities of visits to your blog!
    Thank you for your understanding.
    Please follow our blog, it will be very appreciate.
    I wish you a great day, with the hope that you will follow our blog "Directory".
    After your approval to join us, you will receive your badge
    We ask that you follow our blog and place a badge of your choice on your blog, in order to introduce the "directory" to your friends.
    Regards
    Chris
    I follow your blog, I hope it will please you
    To find out more about us, click on the link below:
    http://world-directory-sweetmelody.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow amazing pictures.... if the garments look like this, I wouldn't mind wearing fruit on me ;)
    Have a happy weekend,
    kisses from Miami,
    Borka
    www.chicfashionworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, that berries bag is amazing!
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that! Health and Fashion, they def should go hand in hand

    love from San Francisco,Britt+Whit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, and I'm totally with you on your healthy call!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg this is a great post! Food and fashion are the best things ever, so if they could be "friends" it'd be cool for us, fashionista and food lover haha. I'm hungry now uh. I followed you on GFC, maybe follow back? :)
    xo
    parisian-fairytale.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad some of you are with me on the health kick! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO outside of the box! I love this idea :)

    www.whats-alexandrawaring.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx