Thursday, March 14, 2013

BEAUTY FROM WITHIN

For that spring/summer radiant glow


I believe one of the best accessories to complement your Spring/Summer wardrobe is radiant skin, that’s why, with spring just around the corner, I have decided to dedicate this post to discussing some of my personal suggestions for achieving that red-carpet skin glow - yeah I know, the ladies above are likely to have had a bit of a helping hand beyond what I've suggested in this post!


Above you will see the products that make up my ‘cleanse-tone-moisturise’ beauty regime. I do not profess to be an expert in dermatology or cosmetology so I’m not going to make any definitive remarks about these products and/or what products you should use; instead I am just going to report that these beauty products work great for me - I love exfoliating and really see the difference when I do it!

I am however an expert in Nutrition and believe that what we put ‘in’ our bodies can have just as much impact on our physical appearance, if not more, as what we put ‘on' our bodies, so here are a few of the foods I include in my diet in an attempt to achieve and maintain a fresh and as clear a complexion as possible! 


Fruit and Vegetables – As well as being a major source of skin loving vitamins (such as vitamin C) and minerals, fruit and vegetables are rich in compounds called antioxidants, which fight free radicals in your body. Free radicals can cause damage and degradation of the skin’s collagen fibres, which can lead to reduced skin elasticity and resilience (=wrinkles) and a dulled, less plump appearance of the skin! To boost your antioxidant intake you should eat plenty of colourful (red, yellow, orange, green)  fruit and vegetables and aim for at least the government’s recommendation of a variety of five portions of fruit and vegetables a day. 

Vitamin E -  Vitamin E is also an antioxidant and very well known for it’s skin health properties. As an antioxidant it protects the skin from collagen damaging free radicals, and being a fat-soluble vitamin (so gets deep in to the fatty layers of the skin) it can give collagen maximum protection against free radical attack. Key sources of vitamin E include avocados, nuts and olive oil.

Zinc -  Zinc is another important nutrient renown for it’s role in skin health. As well as helping to regulate the hormone that can cause acne and blackheads, it’s is also reported to help regulate sebaceous secretions to avoid the skin becoming too dry or too oily. Nuts and seeds are a great source of zinc.

Omega 3 Fats– Omega 3 is a type of healthy fat (not all fats are bad!), which is important for skin health because of it’s anti-inflammatory properties, and it’s function in the skin’s cell membranes -  omega 3 fats aid better oxygen delivery to the skin, better transport of nutrients to the skin and enhances the skin’s ability to retain moisture (= radiant you!).  The richest source of omega 3 fat is oily fish, which includes salmon, mackerel, trout, fresh tuna (not tinned) and pilchards. I know a lot of people don’t like oily fish, but don’t despair, if you are not an oily fish lover like me (my favourite is smoked salmon), you can opt for a standard omega 3 supplement.

Fluids  I’m sure I’m not the first person to tell you how important good hydration is for skin health and one of the best drinks that I can advocate is good old water, sorry to be a bore!  The good news for any water haters out there is that generally any decaffeinated and alcohol-free fluids will contribute to a hydrated body and hydrated skin (herbal teas, low sugar squash, fresh fruit juice), but I opt for water; it’s cheap (if you’re not too proud to use tap water), zero calorie and it’s available pretty much everywhere so it’s a perfect option. 1.5 - 2 litres of fluid each day  is the general recommendation, maybe more if you live in very hot climates or do lots of exercise.

_____________________________________________

I could go on and on about other skin boosting foods, but I’m sure there are a few other blogs on your blogroll that you need to check out, so I will just leave you with an image of this book, written by a fellow Registered Nutritionist, that I highly recommend -  it’s great for anyone that has skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema too.



I would love to hear about your beauty regime (before you apply the make-up!) ladies…..

Later x


oh and don't forget to 'like' me...... FACEBOOK, but only if you like me of course

34 comments:

  1. Excellent post...thank you for sharing...I am also try to eat healthy - lot of fruit and veg but I can not stay away without chocolate...help...

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to give up chocolate altogether - I don't, instead try to have it as a treat. The worst thing you can do is deprive yourself of it, but at the same time don't overdo it either! Great news about the fruit and vegetables though!

      Delete
  2. So agree! Healthy food and drinks is what makes your skin healthy!! My best tip: Water!!! Always water...

    http://jezzdallasmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i forget how much food and water can effect your skin--good post!

    www.insparisian.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Elemis as well

    Do you use USO oil?

    Would like to know your thoughts on that. I am wondering I'd the perfect ratio makes a difference to the omega 3 6 9 balance. Or is it all the same thing?

    But need to drink more water. I think in the UK one feels,not so thirsty bc of the weather but ironically skin gets dehydrated despite the rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question as this can be quite confusing. I think you are referring to UDOS oil, which does contain the omega 3, 6 and 9 fats.

      Omega 3 is an essential fat and really the only fat that is lacking in a lot of people's diets, so if you don't eat oily fish I would recommend a standard omega 3 supplement that you can get from Boots or Holland & Barrett.

      The majority of us get enough omega 6 fatty acids because it is found in a lot of foods, so we don't really need to supplement the diet with these; and in fact too much omega 6 can actually be pro-inflammatory rather than anti-inflammatory so in that respect you do need to get the balance right between omega 6 and omega 3 fats. For this reason it is best to focus on upping your omega 3 (oily fish or supplements) rather than your omega 6

      omega 9 is not considered an essential fat because it can be produced by the body - you can find omega 9 fats in olive oil, avocado and nuts which can offer additional health benefits though, mainly for the heart.

      Key take home point: focus on increasing the omega 3, don't worry about the omega 6 and 9, they take care of themselves xx

      Delete
  5. This is a really great topic and a great blog post. I firmly believe that what you put in your body affects your skin. Amen to that. I try to eat well, take supplements (when needed), exercise, drink plenty of fluids, and use great products that work for my skin type. I'm doing well. This post is reminding me how important nutrition is in the care and maintenance of your skin. Thank you! I want that glow!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent - sounds like a great skincare regime, which explains why you have such great skin. Your photos are amazing on your blog!

      Delete
  6. That scrub looks divine! May need to order!
    Love all the info you've given - really helpful and interesting.
    Not long till I'm in UK!! whoop!
    www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scrub is quite harsh, it definitely doesn't suit a lot of people's skin type

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the tips on skin boosting foods, I really need to pick a few up and I love the scrubs from St Ives, they are amazing! Plus how gorgeous is halle berry, her skin is flawless!


    A little bit Unique - Blog // Facebook // Bloglovin



    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.....Halle may have had a little extra help beyond what I have recommended though - dunno, it is Hollywood!

      Delete
  8. Very interesting article. My beauty tip for glowing skin is cleaning with a mild scrub before applying make up.

    Thank you for your lovely comment.
    xxx
    Nina
    http://trendsurvivor.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic post, darling!
    I need more Omega 3s in my diet!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an informative post... Thanx for sharing.

    Thanx for visiting my page.
    Follow each other??? Let me know...

    platinumdivinity.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beyonce and Kim always look glowing - wish I had the willpower for a healthy diet!

    Be great if you could check out my latest NOTD post: Jessica GELeration in Venus Was Her Name by Nail And Beauty, Cheshire.

    I am also running my 1st blog giveaway here where you could win MAC, Jewellery plus other goodies.

    Thanks! Charlie xx LurchHoundLoves.com | UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh I hope you find that willpower - you will thank yourself for it

      Delete
  12. Thanks so much for the tips on getting that glowing skin! I think I need it! Love Elemis products!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  13. Will I turn into Kim Kardashian if I use these products?
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL try it and see - let me know how you get on! Good luck

      Delete
  14. This is really interesting, thank you for inform us.

    What do you think about following with bloglovin too? Let me know, I follow back

    Glamupyourlifestyle.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing post! Very interesting!

    Kisses,

    Babi
    www.voguebuster.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. Muy interesante, me parece de mucha ayuda la información que nos has dado!!

    xx

    http://unromanceconlamoda.blogspot.com/

    https://www.facebook.com/unromanceconlamoda

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow! interesting post! I put my MAC moisture studio 15 SPF (really love it) and that's it I have to admit! Definitely it's time to take care of our skin!! Thx for the info:)

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great blog. Love the style.
    Haley www.instyleforless.org

    ReplyDelete
  19. awesome post

    http://fashioncadet.com/

    www.alwand.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx