Sunday, April 14, 2013

FROM FASHION TO NUTRITION

The Mulberry Story

Do you have a favourite Mulberry bag; maybe the Bayswater, the Alexa satchel, the Del Rey tote or the newly launched Mulberry Willow?


We are all familiar with the British fashion brand Mulberry, and their highly coveted leather accessories; I for one have surrendered to the temptation of possessing my very own mulberry tree adorned bag.



FROM FASHION TO NUTRITION?  So where does the nutrition come in?

I noticed an article in one of the Sunday paper supplements titled: ‘My sister’s death made me quit fashion - to grow the crop that could conquer bowel cancer’. Well, this tickled my interest for two reasons: firstly I wanted to understand why someone already working in fashion would want to quit what I perceive to be an exciting industry, and secondly as a Registered Nutritionist I was keen to find out more about this food crop and its link with bowel cancer.

On reading the article, I discovered the background behind the birth of the Mulberry brand - the company was named after the mulberry tree that grew in the grounds of Roger Saul’s  (the founder of Mulberry) old school, and in honour of the Mulberry Harbour built for the D Day landings in 1944, and the tree emblem was designed by his late sister – and found out a little about the founder’s personal life, from the death of his sister to his new business venture.

Sadly, Roger’s sister Rosemary died from bowel cancer in 2005, but during her suffering she had dedicated time to researching a high fibre crop called spelt. Spelt is a nutritious and ancient grain, which can be used in much the same way as wheat (e.g. to make bread or pasta) but with the benefit that it doesn't seem to cause the sensitivities often experienced in people who are intolerant of wheat. The significance of spelt is that it is a high fibre crop, and low levels of dietary fibre in the diet is linked with increased risk of bowel cancer, which is the third most common form of cancer in the UK.

Roger parted with Mulberry in 2003 and was looking for a new venture.  Roger decided to invest in a farm and, encouraged by his sister who had recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer and advised by her doctor to eat spelt, decided to grow spelt on his newly acquired farm. Since his sister’s death, Roger has developed his Somerset farm into the UK’s largest grower of spelt, and in his sister’s memory, he has joined forces with Bowel Cancer UK to jointly promote spelt’s benefits. You can find out more about spelt and purchase spelt products at http://www.sharphampark.com/ (NB: Spelt is not suitable for coeliacs).

This month is Bowel Cancer Awareness Month, when various organisations try to improve recognition of the causes, symptoms, treatments and outcomes of the disease, and as a Nutritionist I wanted to play my part in raising awareness and promoting the lifestyle changes that people can make to reduce their chance of getting bowel cancer. In 2010, more than 16,000 people died in the UK from bowel cancer and the disease is second only to lung cancer as the biggest cancer killer! For more information go to bowelcanceruk.org.uk

FIGHTING BOWEL CANCER THROUGH LIFESTYLE
  • Increase your fibre intake by including foods containing fibre in your diet: whole-grains (including spelt), fruit, vegetables, oats and pulses such as beans
  • Reduce your intake of red meat and processed red meat (e.g. sausages, bacon) if you currently eat large amounts
  • Be physically active
  • Maintain a healthy weight (this is a BMI under 25. You can check your BMI using the BMI widget at the bottom of my side bar)
  • Avoid drinking too much alcohol
  • Don’t smoke
  • See your GP as soon as possible if you have any suspect symptoms such as blood in faces, and constipation or diarrhoea - early detection is crucial!

How health conscious would you say you are?

“Keep an eye on your health, as well as the latest 
fashion trends!”

Later x




48 comments:

  1. great post as always! You always make me think about things I haven't thought and inspire me not forget my health!

    Love the camel one:)

    kisses,
    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely post, I like these pictures so much! :)

    Visit my blog? xx Miss Beatrix (http://missbeatrix.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart those bags! They are gorgeous! And lucky you! Your is so so beautiful :)

    http://everythingthatclicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just made my day with this fantastic post, i need to start eating loads of vegetable and fruits now and introduce spelt to my diet, i have never heard of spelt, can i get it in the ordinary store and how does it look like? love those bags.
    rock4less.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no need for you to specifically eat spelt if you are tolerant of other high fibre foods such as wholegrain breads, pasta, cereals, pulses and fruit and vegetables. It is however useful for people who are sensitive to wheat. You can find out more about spelt at www.sharphampark.com where you can also order online. Waitrose also sell some products too - not seen it in Asda, my local shop.

      Delete
  5. great post,i love murberry bags
    http://trendyrammy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a segue!

    Firstly, I remember you were eyeing up a Mulberry bag so congratulations - the color is nice and usable but complex all at the same time! I look forward to the modeling pics because you make it look better than still shots! :)

    Second, I am aware of spelt but I cant get into it. But sometimes I try and get stuff that is mixed with a little spelt just for the sake of it.

    But good on you for doing posts like this to raise awareness. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha I will pair the berry with an outfit soon and thanks! xx

      Delete
  7. this is awesome about the cancer awareness! we should all be cautious!!!! love the Mulberry bags btw! xo, ALma
    http://www.soulofashopper.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we should - it's the one disease that really does scare me, perhaps because through family and friends I've witnessed it.

      Delete
  8. Such an interesting and reflecting post! I think, that I'm quite health conscious. I try to eat well and healthy (basis nutrition), do at least twice a week some sports and prefer go for a walk instead of using the car for short distances. And I have my health checks regularly. - And WOW - your Mulberry bag is really amazing, cut and color are great! Kisses from Vienna, Katja

    www.collectedbykatja.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear Katja - keep up being health conscious!

      Delete
  9. that mint bag is amazing first off! since this year I have become really health conscience and have really made a you turn. I didn't realise how much crap I was eating.! I think the best lifestyle is one of a body builders all though not to the extreme! lool

    carol
    http://fashion-bells.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased to hear you have made a u-turn - keep up the good work Carol and don't be resorting to that "crap"!

      Delete
  10. Very interesting Post. The most time in my life I try to eat healthy. I don't drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes.
    My biggest unhealthy grave is sugar. But i try to limit choclate, cookies and co.

    Glamupyourlifestyle.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here- I have a sweet tooth too, but great to hear that the majority of the time you try to eat healthily.

      Delete
  11. Really interesting!! Love the mint bag!!!
    Kisses
    Francy&Stef
    Chic With The Least
    Also on Facebook and on Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore Mulberry bags!
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Mulberry! Great post! I really need to be more health conscious myself!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting post. I try to eat healthy. I do yoga!!!
    Beautiful bags!!! I love Mulberry!!!
    Have a good week, dear!! and my g+ for you!!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and like in bloglovin for you too!!!:)))

      Delete
    2. never tried yoga actually, but always intended too and thank you.

      Delete
  15. I have a friend who almost lost her father to bowel cancer... I didn't even know that a Bowel Cancer Awareness Month existed! Although, I'm not surprised. I started eating more fiber about a year ago because I read somewhere that only by eating a small amount of oats a day you do wonders for you bowel so I though why not and got used to it. Oats and flax seeds for dinner.:) But it has never crossed my mind to try something else - like spelt. I really have to check if I can find some products in our stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear, there's a ":)" on that tube.:) It's in blue, above the huge OLIVNIM.

      It was so refreshing to read that you won't have babies by choice - not the content itself, but the fact that you said it. I've never wanted kids, actually I've always wanted to not have kids but I don't even talk about it, because then you get bombarded with bullshit straight way. Last week my THREE-YEAR-OLD nephew asked me why I don't have a baby. The pressure is just insane.

      Delete
    2. spelt isn't that easy to get in local stores unfortunately (i had a look in my local Asda), but any wholegrain foods high in fibre are protective, but if you are sensitive to wheat, spelt may be an option.

      I've replied to your second comment on your blog

      Delete
  16. Interesting post, i didn't know this story and luckily for my health i don't like smoking and drinking so it's a start! But i must eat more vegetables and fruit...i'm looking forward to eating cherries =)
    Btw thanks for wishing me good luck for my exams, one month to go, i'll try to find more time to post some looks (especially with the white blazer!)
    Have a good week =)
    Kisses

    www.wallofstyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. my favourite bag is the burgundy one =)

      Delete
    2. Deffo more fruit and vegetables - I love cherries too! I used to nibble on grapes instead of sweets whilst I was studying

      Delete
  17. Congrats,you have a Mulbery bag,great post...

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you're a nutritionist! It's glad meeting people that really care about their bodys and realize that your body is a temple, a machine that keeps you moving that gives you the chance to live your life to the fullest. I made an awesome pizza today out of cauliflower crust. (topped with spinach, chicken & corn) so good!


    x Vik


    viktoriadimitrova.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes I've seen that recipe! I'm stealing it ha ha! x

      Delete
  19. Love the mint color bag, my love ^_^

    Lots of Love,

    Nicole

    www.nicoleta.me

    ReplyDelete
  20. So jealous of your mulberry, lucky woman! I'm dreaming of an alexa, but I have to keep on saving for that! I love your posts, they're always really interesting and this has made me a lot more health conscious, definitely need to focus more on what I'm actually eating! I didn't know that about bowel cancer :(

    Oh and I gave your facebook page a like :)

    A little bit Unique - Blog // Facebook // Bloglovin



    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, we should all be somewhat health conscious and don't be jealous, I'm a lot older than you hun.

      Delete
  21. I'm so totally in love with the willow bag! This is such a genius idea of making fashion flexible and invent yourself during the day! I perks ally prefer the nude or the black one but your choice of color is fantastic for this season! Nice post!!

    ox from Berlin

    http://THEURBANPROMENEUR.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the newly launched Mulberry Willow bag. Regarding your question I would say i am health conscious! I quit smoking years ago and I try to eat healthy.

    xxx
    Nina
    http://trendsurvivor.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Nina and congratulations on quitting smoking! The Willow is my favourite of them all!

      Delete
  23. A really interesting and informative post. I actually read about the spelt farm and the story behind the logo last week. I've been a fan of Mulberry bags for a while not only for their designs but also for their outstanding quality and my Bayswater just gets better and better with age. I love your new bag and I think the two in one Willow is a good idea. Great that you are raising awareness about bowel cancer and lifestyle choices.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually remember seeing your beautiful Bayswater in one of your posts - it is gorgeous! ......and thank you.

      Delete
  24. Many thanks, dear Colleen, to write about this very important theme and for mentioned the best lifestyle against cancer. The mother of my two (step-)kids died in 1999 so this theme has a high significance in our family. I´m sure that it is possible to do something with the own style of life against cancer - we all have the resonsibility for our life and to take care of ourselves.

    xx from Bavaria, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. It's a horrible disease that affects so many, but the consensus is that lifestyle can play a big part in reducing the risk, so you are soooo right - "we all have the responsibility for our life and to take care of ourselves" x

      Delete
  25. sure thing! glad you like it dear! it was amazing and definitely a much healthier option than a normal pizza as you get a big serving of veggies to your meal!

    hope you're having a great week too! xx

    viktoriadimitrova.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, I never knew Mulberry has such a history behind them o.o I thought they are just another pretty, classy bag. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this with us ;_; It's such a sad but touching story QQ

    I am not in a relationship for quite some time, I practically bailed out from my last one because I understand my ex, I just couldn't learn to accept our differences. Things becomes too hard so it's better that we end up as friend. I hope Ian's words can touch your friend as how it touched mine.

    mish
    www.mishberries.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a nice (but sad) story!!
    I'm VERY health concious 'cause I think that health is the key of life. You could be rich and famous but if you're not a healthy person... it's difficult you can enjoy you're life properly!! ;-)
    xoxo
    Patricia

    http://misstoptenimage.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/how-do-you-wear-stripes-readers-looks.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great informative post my dear! see you soon!
    Kisses from Miami,
    Borka
    www.chicfashionworld.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx