Thursday, April 25, 2013

TREND ALERT - MOD FASHION

Should I leave it to the fashionistas?


Whilst watching TV, perusing a glossy, admiring a runway show or surfing through the blogosphere, when it comes to fashion/style, I've always been drawn to individuals who have a similar personal style to me; they are the ones that inspire me to want to either save for or go out and buy what they are wearing, because I know it will suit me too. However, more recently, and when I think about it, since starting this blog, I have become increasingly fascinated by outfits and styles that previous to this blogging lark I would have perhaps skimmed past quite absent-minded, simply because I didn't think I would personally be able to wear it. 

One such style I’m referring to is representative of the swinging 60’s - the MOD TREND; a trend re-envisioned (aren't they all) by designers like Michael Kors, Moschino and Louis Vuitton. In my mind there’s no way I could pull off wearing this particular spring/summer trend; it’s defined by all the whimsical fashion that I would usually shy away from:

-Short hems and A-Line silhouettes
-Bright colours, block colours and pastels
-Psychedelic prints and funky stripes
-Feminine fabrics and shiny embellishments
-Low heels -  maybe kitten heels, court shoes or loafers
-Quirky  sunglasses
-Statement colourful and retro accessories





all images courtesy of www.fashionising.com
Now I’m pretty sure you won’t have seen much of a hint, if any, of this trend in my outfit posts, but my question is: to what degree can and should we experiment with fashion? Is there a rule or guideline? Should we remain true to ourselves and stay within the boundaries of our own comfortable personal style, which I believe the term is a ‘stylista’, or should we think outside of the box and be a ‘fashionista’ sometimes. If it’s the latter, then this would suggest that despite my reluctance to feel self-conscious in what I’m wearing, I should occasionally be risqué and dabble in a trend that I would have otherwise avoided; after all fashion is supposed to be fun, and I think it should be experimental, not rigid!

So,  I decided to have a little mooch online to see how I could capture this season's mod essence without looking like a fashion victim desperate to get snapped by a street-style photographer. This is what I found; as you can see my obstinate character came through and I decided to incorporate my favourite (and safe) SS/13 trend - monochrome.


Topshop dress; Topshop sunglasses, Miss60's bangle, House of Fraser Bowling bag; Zara shoes, Dorothy Perkins headband; Chanel Rouge lipstick.

What do you think of my mod high-street style edit, for me or you  – do you even like the mod trend?

Later x

35 comments:

  1. Your high style edit is better than marc jacobs actually!

    The funny thing is that now if anyone were to wear that dress - it would be fashion CSI - beyond victim

    i adore the shoes, dress, bangle.

    unless you are the absolute first person or the designer then iconic dresses kinda look tacky...so the only time to wear them is when they are considered weird and ugly hehe.

    cant wait to see you model the stuff xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with you on that point about the iconic dresses, it is so true. If you're a trendsetter or a celebrity, you can get away with it.

      I do love each of the pieces individually, but despite it being my style edit, I'm still not sure I could pull it off - it's very 'girly' for me. We'll see xx

      Delete
  2. Amazing pictures! I completely heart this look!
    Kisses from Miami,
    Borka
    www.chicfashionworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the repetitive square of LV. It's bold and I love the vintage style.

    Kisses,
    Bex
    Personal Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Colleen! I think in fashion is always good try to experiment! Though, I have to confess, when I see my looks, I tend to be always more classic without daring too much! At the first, the mod fashion that is so treny at the moment, didnt catch my attention. Dont know why, maybe cause I see it everywhere on magazines editorial, I'm almost lov it, especially the LV collection, the best (love the B&W, nude and white looks):) The look you created is perfect, the dress is very lovely! Kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree entirely - I tend to play it safe a lot, but we should definitely, well I should anyway, experiment more!

      Delete
  5. love the trend! don´t know if it´s my style though!!! ;) xo, ALma
    http://www.soulofashopper.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your choices which are a toned-down version of the trend - gorgeous dress! I like the beige and white combination too (I wear far too many neutrals though already!) and the three-quarter length sleeves.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this trend. I will be on the look out for similar fashion in the stores :)

    http://everythingthatclicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always been a lover of the 60's and Lolita stylings. So this trend definitely 'fell' in my comfort zone. Allthough I really love experiment with new clothes and stylings as sometimes I find pieces looking great on me (which I would have never thought). I think Moschino & Louis Vuitton did the most amazing work on MOD this season!


    x Vik


    viktoriadimitrova.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MOD would definitely suit you Viktoria!

      Delete
  9. this is such an interesting post!
    I just found your blog and I love it!
    click -> Tr3nDyGiRL Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice lovely collection
    I really like this post
    xoxo
    www,welovefur.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in love with 60' dresses, but I'm not sure if they suit me... Anyway, great post, Your trend allerts are very interesting :)

    http://ika901.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, I ask myself quite often why I wasn't born in the sixties, I do love the mod and all the A line dresses with sun glasses. I agree with you however, that style shouldn't be rigid. Mrs. Wintour says it should not be boring. I think you can adopt almost any trend, and take risks, while showing who you are (which saves you from being a fashion victim). My g+ for you on this great post!

    www.graceintemporelle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalia and I'm glad you agree

      Delete
  13. I don't like the mod trend so much. This style is just not for me. But it's funny, because I like your selection. I think your choice is more a klassic style.

    Glamupyourlifestyle.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it was definitely the best I could find that would be 'suitable'

      Delete
  14. But you kinda need the legs to show off a short skirt/dress like that. Regardless, I like the trend!

    http://jezzdallasmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. just came by to wish you a rocking weekend, and to invite you to check out my latest post! would love to know what you think!
    Kisses from Miami,
    Borka
    www.chicfashionworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this kind of print!
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    ReplyDelete
  17. First, dear Colleen, I like this Mod-Style really and I could imagine to wear many pieces which you show here.

    And regarding your question: I think it´s a really good thing to experiment with fashion, because I´m not totally sure about my own personal style ;) Of this cause I try often new things and combinations, which sometimes looks okay but never ever always! It is boring for me always to wear the same clothes (to be bored repeats unfortunately in different matters in my life) and a day could bright for me with an successful new outfit style!

    xx from Bavaria, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know Rena, I don't think I'm sure what my personal style is either - after all these years I can't say I have a defined or signature style. Trying new things is always a good thing though I agree x

      Delete
  18. Colleen, I'm actually really loving the mod 60s trend, I think it's so girlie with a twist! I know what you mean, it's hard to know whether to stay true to yourself or "follow trends" I think it should be a little bit of both, experiment and have fun with clothes after all that's what style is all about!

    A little bit Unique - Blog // Please vote for me in the Company blog awards, best fashion - newcomer

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! a little bit of both sounds good! x

      Delete
  19. I'm really liking this trend .. bur only cause it suits my and my style! It's nor to tight.. colorful but not loud and so ladylike!

    Following trends just because they are the "it" thing for now is to be a "fashion victim" not a fashion lover:)

    kisses,
    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does suit your style. I loved you in your mod style dress.

      Delete
  20. Great pictures, I'm loving that yellow dress.
    Dusana :-)

    www.letnedni.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always pick and wear whatever I think looks good. At one point I though I'd never wear fringes and I cut them off of everything, but then I found a gorgeous fringe bag and I was sold. Or better yet, the bag was bought.:)

    I do think you could pull that look off!! Those heels look perfect for you. I don't know you know you, but the notion I have of you would wear those heels.:) And that dress is cool so I say just do it.:)

    As for recycling old eras... I think it's really funny that so many people find RECYCLING old stuff revolutionary. My mom always says: "We've done that already." And you open Vogue or whatever and those copycats are called geniuses.:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. ha ha, I can't believe you bought stuff with fringes and then cut them off, and yep my mum says the same thing and I just reply "yeah good for you, well we haven't".

    ReplyDelete
  23. such a great trend! I would love to follow, let me know when you follow me with bloglovin and facebook and I follow all back. XJess babe
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx