Thursday, May 30, 2013

AU REVOIR.......BON VOYAGE

Why am I writing in French? I'm going to New York!



Tick-tock; the time is nigh… in just over 48 hours, I will be temporarily dwelling in one of the fashion capitals of the world - New York! My excitement is beyond words. The people I've told have immediately responded with some pun or suggestion about shopping, which is understandable; I do proclaim to be a self-confessed ‘shopaholic’ and fashion enthusiast. The truth is, I've vetoed the idea of spending my time in clothes shops and outlets, and instead I will be making the most of the city’s sites and the excursions on offer.

If any of you have been before and would like to offer any recommendations about where to go and where to eat, they would be gratefully received. It’s been a long time since I was last in the Big Apple.


Tee  River Island



Leather-look jeans Oasis
Tee River Island
Sandals  Steve Madden for New Look
Hat  Zara

When people go away on a city-break or holiday, some go with the intention, expectation and acceptance of gaining a few (or more) pounds (lbs), however others want to make a conscious effort not to put on any weight at all. If you are among the latter, and you’re off on your travels this summer, why not skim over some of my top tips for managing your weight whilst away:

SALADS
Salads are a popular choice when we’re in sunny, warmer climates. They are refreshing, light, healthy and seemingly low calorie, but beware of the salad dressings which can be a calorie trap. Ask for creamy/sugary dressings to be put on the side so that you can be in control of how much you consume. Balsamic vinegar and a squeeze of fresh lemon are low calorie/fat alternatives.

ALCOHOL
I’m not a party-pooper, so there’s no way I would tell you to avoid alcohol, I would just suggest that you moderate your intake and use strategies that can help reduce your overall calorie intake, such as having mixers with diet drinks (e.g. gin and slimline tonic, wine spritzer), opting for single measures instead of double and drinking water in between drinks. I did a whole post on reducing calories from alcohol at Christmas- check it out here.

FAST FOODS
Without naming any obvious brands, they are convenient and “tasty”, but LADEN with fat and calories. Eat fast food and take-aways as a treat, rather than every day whilst you are away.

SUGARY DRINKS
All that sightseeing, sun, sea and sand can of course leave you feeling parched, but be mindful of the calorie content of an average can of regular soda -140 calories! Considering how many times we need a drink throughout the day, opting for water or diet drinks would be a better choice.

PORTION CONTROL
Sampling the delicious cuisine is a ‘must’ when you are in a foreign country, but eating unnecessarily large portions isn't. You can still get a taste for the yummy food on offer, without going overboard with the quantity. Practice portion control techniques to offset some of the calories such as using smaller plates or sharing meals, sides or desserts with whoever is accompanying you. In addition, don’t be afraid to ask for smaller portions, or leave food on the plate if it is far too much.

BREAKFAST
Try to have a breakfast every day, this will usually prevent you picking at all the wrong unhealthy foods throughout the morning, and it will also give you the energy you need to tackle your day of fun and adventure.

SNACKS
We all love to indulge in snacks whilst we are away - think ice cream, donuts, chocolates, milkshakes.... now think calories, calories, calories. Try to limit your intake of high calorie snacks when you are out on your day trips, and perhaps plan ahead and take your own snack such as fruit, nuts, oatcakes and even a few squares of dark chocolate.

EXERCISE
I’m not suggesting you locate the nearest gym on arrival, I certainly don’t, but why not incorporate some holiday activities and excursions that really burn some calories - walking, cycling, swimming, rock climbing etc.-  rather than just relaxing on a beach all day, although that does sound tempting!

Do you have any other tips?

Happy travels for anyone else going away and I will look forward to catching up with all your blog posts on my return!

Later x






53 comments:

  1. Ha, you even managed to catch a shot of and airplane.:D Have fun, babe!! I'd give you a tip, but I haven't been to the great NYC, at least not yet.:)

    I have to check that post on reducing calorie intake while drinking, I already opened it in another tab.:) Although I must say I do pretty well regarding your other tips so I guess it levels itself out somehow.:)

    I really hope you'll relax and have a blast!! And buy something fabulous.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun, and I love the fact that you acknowledged that you should check out the drinking post ha!

      Delete
  2. I am so excited for you and can not wait to see pics! the thing with ny is that things get trendy then lose it but if you are into hot dogs then papaya king hot dogs are amazing. the museums are fab, some say go to brooklyn but between you and me i don't get it. meatpacking district with the vibe and walk on the highline! have fun xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestions Naomi.

      Oh by the way, if your birthday is within the next 10 days, have a great time! xx

      Delete
    2. Hey you! I am getting forcailini withdrawal;) no pressure just thought I would say hi xx

      Delete
  3. You look wow!
    Cute tee and hat.
    I want ur sandals sooo bad!

    Really nice tips.

    Have an amazing vacation! Waiting expectantly for the photos so that I would see New York via them. :D

    http://justporsh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting and I agree with you - there's always a temptation to shop but it's better to see the sights! If you need ideas then I recommend you visit Rosemary's blog http://www.nycstylelittlecannoli.com/ where she writes about the main attractions and also the lesser known ones too. Your sandals are lovely by the way and I enjoyed reading your useful tips. Have a wonderful time. Bon voyage!

    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this recommendation, I'm going to take a peek! Thank you

      Delete
  5. Have fun in New York, Colleen. You must go for drinks to the Bar on the rooftop of the Wythe Hotel in Brooklyn, a super cool place. I always visit the MOMA but this time I would go to the Met Museum, too.

    xxx
    Nina
    http://trendsurvivor.com/
    P.S. Thank you for your lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those recommendations - the rooftop bar sounds amazing!

      Delete
  6. Hi Colleen! How exciting! Is a city I always love to visit! Have fun, I'm just looking forward to see your reportage then!:) Great look, I like the leather pants with the tee, the sandals are to die for!:) I agree with your tips, one of the things I love most during a vacation is the breakfast, I like to do it with calm and have a rich and healthy meal, so I'm well and ready to the trip:) Added you on my twitter dear, kisses and have a safe and funny travel! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh yes a good breakfast - I am looking forward to those! Thank you

      Delete
  7. ohhhhhhh great! you have fun sweetie!!!...love your pants btw! xo, ALma
    ps. discount on Senso shoes at my blog!
    http://www.soulofashopper.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have an amazing trip, Colleen! I hope you`re going to wear that hat while you`re in NYC, it looks just fabulous on you :)
    xox,
    Cee
    www.cocoandvera.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hadn't planned on taking it, but I may just reconsider now! Thank you

      Delete
  9. I LOVE your top, you look wonderful.

    Have a super great trip!

    Kelly || DayDreamsDaisyChains.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a nice trip, Bon voyage, Gute reise.....

    I was never in New York, but I feel it's my city. Shopping in such a great city is really secondary. Side sighing is more intereting.
    Weight controlling in Vacation is not bad, but if I'm in another country I must check out all the typical food from this place. I like to go in the supermarket too and buy same cookies and chocolate from the country. I got a sweet tooth. ;)
    Dear Colleen, I wish you a fantastic time and by the way, do you have some space in your suitcase for me? ;)

    Glamupyourlifestyle.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even have enough space for my clothes, shoes and bags in my suitcase ha ha, but thank you x

      Delete
  11. How exciting!! I'm sure you'll be able to fit a teeny tiny bit of shopping In too? It would be a terrible shame not to...!
    I love your outfit - those black pants look amazing!

    I have no recs for NYC as it's been years since I was there.
    My biggest tip for remaining healthy while traveling is to walk. It's the best excercise there is, it's free and it is the best way to get a feel for a new place.
    Bon voyage, chérie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh well it will be hard to avoid the shopping, but I am going to try!

      There will be lots of flat shoes packed for all the walking!

      Delete
  12. Have a nice trip woman!

    Conquer NY for me! And yes, speak French while there. Why not?! Hahahaha...

    Cant wait for the photos xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaaw thank you. I only probably know 10 French words in addition to the ones in my title ha ha, but thank you.

      Delete
  13. So amazing, that you're going to NYC, Colleen!! Hope that you're having a great time there with a lot of fun, unforgettable experiences and success! So excited to see your posts from Big Apple!! And you've chosen the perfect outfit for this occasion :-) ... A big hug from Vienna,

    Katja

    www.collectedbykatja.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the tee!
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look amazing colleen, I love your tee. Have fun sweetie am sure you enjoy new york, Make sure you drive around so you not gonna get bored. You def enjoy NYC no doubt. Bring back all the goodies, you def get amazing handbags but clothings??? i would say NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
    http://rock4less.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah you're right, I've never really been impressed with the American high street! Thank you

      Delete
  16. Enjoy your trip...and shop,shop and shop....

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. you rock those pants. love this outfit on you.
    How nice that you will be in NY. I don't know many places there, as I don't go as much as I should but I know there are small (not famous) places where you can do great shopping. let us know how you do and have fun!
    great suggestions, I always relate vacations to great food and excessive eating so I have to do a conscious and continuous effort to remind myself all the time that is not healthy and summer breaks are not excuse to make myself sick. ... its hard.
    XX,

    ** Styleidnet INSTAGRAM **
    ** Style Id Net **
    * Bloglovin *
    .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing look, loving the shirt and hat!
    Kisses from Miami,
    Borka
    www.chicfashionworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh My God ....! It's Great look i love it so much :)
    http://femensleatherjackets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have an amazing trip, dear!!!! Love your look!!!
    Kisses
    Francy&Stef
    Chic With The Least
    Also on Facebook and on Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  21. First, dear Colleen, you look so good and healthy, it´s such a pleasure to have a look on you <3 And this outfit is perfect - for your wonderful body, too <3 And thanks for confirming me, that I looks like that I´m on the right way because it seems that I live still with your tips :)

    Wish you a great journey with wonderful impressions!

    xx from Bavaria, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  22. i like the bag! nice outfit ;D

    Invite you to enter my giveaways :D
    Luch Luch Craft OASAP Giveaway Click here :)
    Hope you will join :)
    Luch Luch Craft new post Click Here
    visit my blog ^^
    www.luchluchcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have a nice trip, dear friend!!! Buen viaje!!!
    and my g+ for you!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  24. sooo lovely!


    join my lovely giveaway:

    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh enjoy your trip! I've never been in NYC but i want to go there as soon as possible! Show us some pics =) And thanks for your tips! I'll go to the north of Europe this summer so i'll try to follow these tips and then i'll go to Sicily 'cause my grandma lives there and she cooks sooo many delicious things so this would be harder but i'll try to have a run on the seaside ;)
    Kisses
    Ylenia

    www.wallofstyleblog.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love those pants and shoes. xx

    http://crystalcosmicchic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, New York, have a great time and take a lots of photos. I was stuck in New York for 4 days, it was because our plane was canceled (we were traveling to Miami). It was last year in October during hurricane so I didn't see anything. It was a scary experience, but I'm still planning to come back one day and see New York in it's all beauty.
    Dusana :-)

    www.letnedni.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. How exciting this is!!! can't wait to see your pictures! I have never been en NYC but is such a dream to me!
    Have a nice trip and thanks for the tips ;)

    www.graceintemporelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow!!! I am so exiting for you.. it's one of my favorite cities in the world!!! I'm sure that your going to have a fabulous time just to walk in the streets of these amazing island!!!

    You look amazing! Love the way you paired the leather pant with the cool T and the hat just completes the looks perfectly!

    Watch out NY-a real fashnista is coming..

    Enjoy,
    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Girl, how exciting! I love New York!! I hop you have an incredible time. Do visit Soho and I recommend the food card vendor 'The Halal Guys' near Bryant park. Excited to see your pictures!!

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
  31. First of all... I ENVY YOU FOR YOUR TRIP!!! I went to New York 5 years ago and I'm dying to come back again...
    One of my tips while I'm away is to walk a lot. I love walking so as long as you exercise you can eat everything you want (with moderation of course!!)
    I remembered that I walked so much in new York that when I arrived home I've lost 3 quilos!! ;-)
    Enjoy it darling and do not forget to pay a visit to Century21 stores!!
    xoxo
    Patricia

    http://misstoptenimage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. New york!!! Ahhh Colleen, that is so exciting! Enjoy, and take lots of photos :) Looking fab as usual and as usual I'll be taking all your tips on board, you always have the best ones

    Ellen // A little bit Unique // Facebook // Bloglovin



    xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. the the monochrome look girl, and that hat! make sure you pack it. Have lots of fun in NYC. Great tips i think you covered everything!!

    carol
    http://fashion-bells.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful!have a hot weekend!
    Kisses from Miami,
    Borka
    www.chicfashionworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. great outfit, have a great time in new york!
    xx Kate

    The Style Department

    ReplyDelete
  36. http://gamesyork.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx