Thursday, May 02, 2013

FANCY A CUPPA?

Not for me thank you!


Britain is described as a nation of tea lovers.  When you visit family and friends, you’re offered a cuppa, and when you go abroad, it’s assumed you want a cuppa. 165,000,000 cups of tea are being drunk in the UK every day, and globally it’s reported to be the most consumed beverage second only to water. I’m not a tea or coffee drinker and in my years of existence, I've probably only had one cup of tea and it didn't leave me “dying” for another cuppa; I just found it rather insipid.  Apart from its quintessential association with the Queen, I don’t really understand the story behind our tea ‘obsession’.

My beverage of choice is water; yes I know this is equally as insipid, but it’s chilled and that makes it much more palatable for me. I drink water simply because it’s cheap (although I wouldn't mind trying the Bling H20 bottled water, just to see why it’s $40 for 750mls), zero calorie and great for your skin!

So the reason I wanted to discuss this today is because I belong to a community called ‘Yelp Birmingham’, which supports local businesses by holding promotional events. I attended one such event at the Greenhouse Café, which launched earlier this year. It was a brunch (yes darling, brunch) event and as we all ordered our food and drink, I was the only one who hadn't ordered a tea or coffee; this isn't unusual, but the person sitting next to me was surprised I didn't drink tea or coffee, and so I got in to the usual conversation about my abstinence from these hot drinks.

Anyway, here’s a few snapshots from the brunch at Greenhouse Cafe:



I was fascinated and impressed that the tea came out with an egg-timer, so that the tea infused to perfection - yes, you're thinking it doesn't take much to fascinate and impress me, well it does, I've just led a sheltered life when it comes to tea and coffee!





The person next to me had eggs Benedict and the person to the other side of  me had a bacon and egg bagel. I don't usually make a habit of taking pictures of my own food, let alone other people's food but everyone else was doing it, so I thought why not! We are not eating off newspaper by the way, they decorated the table with newspaper cuttings and then cleverly varnished over it.


And this was my choice -  pancakes with maple syrup and bacon; it was delish. I could have had them with fresh fruit, but I thought I'd treat myself! You see, I follow the 80/20 rule with my dietary regime - 80% healthy, 20% treat. And yep, that's my orange juice and water peeking through the background.



Despite my personal dislike of tea, I do still recommend, in particular green tea, to my tea-loving clients because of its powerful health benefits:
  • Tea contains zero calories, if you haven’t added milk and sugar to it of course, so it's great if you are trying to manage your weight
  • Tea can count towards your recommended daily fluid intake (1.5-2 litres per day) -  it doesn’t have to be just water
  • Green tea has been linked to a reduced risk of Alzheimer’s disease, stroke , certain cancers, improved heart health and oral health, as well as benefits in weight management
  • Green tea is rich in antioxidants, which can support the body’s cells in fighting oxidative stress, which can otherwise lead to disease. Specific antioxidants in green tea (flavonoids) are responsible for it’s heart-healthy properties
  • To maximise the beneficial effects of tea you should drink it throughout the day to maintain a high level of antioxidants within your bloodstream -  but remember pinkies up!
  • Whether the tea is hot or cold, the health benefits are the same, so if you are not a fan of a cup of hot tea, try iced tea like I do sometimes!

What’s your favourite thirst-quencher? – do you enjoy a good cuppa tea?

Later x

30 comments:

  1. I know how you feel, I dont drink tea or coffee either and people think im odd! It does nothing for me; Im addicted to apple juice instead! That food looks amazing too!

    sheworechic.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG another fellow non-tea/coffee drinker. Be careful of all that juice though - not great for your teeth!

      Delete
  2. Lovely post...I am drinking coffee. I am addicted to Costa late...

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots of the food!
    I'm with you on the tea - I wish I did drink it - but I'm a coffee gal as you know.
    However, you're not alone, my best friend doesn't drink hot drinks either but she is partial to the occasional hot chocolate. So I always keep it in the house, and occasionally we have it ourselves of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nah don't do hot chocolate either to be fair

      Delete
  4. I like tea, I drink the whole day green Tea at work. My second choice is water. I drink a lot of water if I'm at Gym.
    I think a have 2 -2,5 liter together with both.
    Your food-pictures looks yummie, you make me hungry ;)

    Glamupyourlifestyle.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  5. I drinks lots of water but I'm also a big fan of green and red tea!!
    I really enjoy having the classic afternoon tea when I was in London last February!!
    xoxo
    Patricia

    http://misstoptenimage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. awweeee. I respect you honey but I am a tea lover. Drinking tea is so relaxing for me. The food look yummy and I hope you had a wonderful time!

    Kisses,
    Bex
    Personal Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. hang on then - how do you get your caffeine fix or are you not addicted to coffee??

    i drink it all but i have to ease off a bit because i am not sleeping well due to increased intake of tea and coffee!

    I need to drink more water. everyone does right? But it is so true that we are dehydrated most of us arent we? I always think that everytime I water my plants. They always plump up after a watering so it must be like that with us!

    Have a lovely weekend babes - this week has just been so long for me!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get a caffeine fix, I'm not addicted to coffee; I'm addicted to life - no only joking lol!!

      It's impossible to tell whether most of us are dehydrated, nobody really ever tests for it and publishes the results. You can check yourself though personally when you go to the toilet. The colour of your wee is a good indication if you are hydrated enough. If it's a pale straw colour - good, if it's dark - drink up!

      I definitely notice a change in the plumpness of my skin if I haven't drank enough! x

      Delete
  8. I love water and drink a lot every day. But I'm also a coffee person, I do need my cup of coffee early morning.
    Have a great weekend.
    Dusana :-)

    www.letnedni.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yammy.. the food looks so tasty! I don't drink water at all (know that's a bad habit but can't can't find the strength to change it.. yet..)

    Instead I drink lot's of tea and don't start the day without 2 cups of coffee!!!

    kisses,
    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's okay, tea and coffee counts towards your fluid intake too!

      Delete
  10. It's good to find another non-tea-drinker!! I don't get the obsession either - it's hot water in which dried plants were soaked. ?!? I do like coffee, the taste and the effect, but I don't drink it any more. It was a personal choice to keep my teeth whiter, I guess I'm just vane like that.:) But I didn't know green tea can reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, stroke and cancers. Maybe I should suck it up and swallow it down, but I hate the taste!

    P.S.: Those eggs Benedict and the bacon and egg bagel look so good!!! But your dish, pancakes with maple syrup and bacon... That's a first for me.:) Sweet syrup and salty bacon together??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if I had thought about that in more detail on the day, that I would be eating sweet syrup and salty bacon together, I'd have probably not ordered it, so I'm glad I didn't think about it because it really was tasty. Oh, do try it with pancakes!

      Delete
  11. I am a tea drinker and always have been - I can't go a day without it! However, if you put milk or sugar in it, I won't touch it with a barge pole :) And where I'm from, the fact that I don't drink coffee is considered very strange, indeed. But it's just not my think, so I get where you're coming from :) This brunch looks wonderful!
    xox,
    Cee
    www.cocoandvera.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy tea especially to start the day and I enjoy trying different teas as a daytime drink but I'm a cappuccino fan too! I visited a tea shop in Manchester where they brought an egg timer. I am trying to drink more water during the day though. The brunch looks delicious - great menu.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like tea..sometimes..just feel I don´t have the time for it..weird, I know! Loved the post..getting hungry :)

    http://jezzdallasmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious post!!! I like tea and coffee!!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend!!! g+ and like for you!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Water is actually so much better for you than tea anyway, so it's a good choice! I'm partial to a tea or coffee every now and then, but I find tea can be a bit drying, I agree with you I don't seen the obsession!

    A little bit Unique - Blog

    x

    Oh, also I'd love if you'd vote for me in the Company blog awards, best fashion - newcomer, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Water and then coffee. I drink tea only in winter when it's really cold!
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really interesting, dear Colleen, that you don´t drink hot drinks! Because I like tea really (I think I drink about 4 - 6 big mugs a day) and coffee is also okay for me. When I don´t drink tea or coffee I drink water direct from our water pipeline because the water here in Bavaria has a really good quality. But sometimes this cold water makes me cold, too, and in such cases I´m so happy about the hot drinks. What I drink very very seldom is alcohol because I prefer it to have a clear mind ;)

    Wish you a wonderful Sunday!

    xx from Bavaria, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh yes I don't drink a lot of alcohol either, my friends definitely find me weird for this too. In fact this weekend all I've drank when I've gone out is virgin cocktails!

      Delete
  18. This looks delicious !
    xoxo
    parisian-fairytale.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  19. I quite feel the same way with tea,but this year tea became fashion for me lol, as a methodist we had tea almost every time after church especially during long meetings lol, i got addicted to tea because i would leave with an empty stomach in the morning so after church i would feel like an hungry lion lol, at least the tea would comfort me,my friends know me very well, you dare not offer me a cup of tea when i visit you cause i will reply by saying, i got millions of tea bags at home but i quite fancy the herbal ones at least before i take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have tried soya milk with coffee? that's the only milk i know for now lol..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a cold glass of soya milk and almond milk on it's own, but not in tea or coffee - well to be fair I've never really tried it lol

      Delete
  21. Oh how stunning,honey!Of course everyone loves it!;-)
    xx
    B.
    http://www.beeswonderland.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx