Sunday, July 28, 2013

HEY SHORTY

I haven't seen you in a while






I don’t know whether this observation is just in my mind, but has anyone else noticed that there appears to be an upsurge in the number of teenagers/women comfortably wearing shorts on the street? I’m not talking about the kind of shorts that fall just above the knee, I'm referring to the Daisy Duke type shorts that fall just below the pubic region! I think mine are quite conservative in comparison to some I've seen.

This mightn't mean much to some of you living on the continent, or in Miami or Barbados, but in the UK, until recently, say in the past couple of years, it was quite uncommon to see people wearing these types of, what I call, ‘booty’ shorts so freely; they would usually be kept in the summer drawer until it was time to go on holiday or to visit a festival; before that, I don’t recall seeing people donning them to go shopping in the city or to a restaurant for lunch, but now they are everywhere!

Now that the summer has officially arrived in the UK, I'm finding that when I'm out and about, whether I'm in Zara, Asda or Nandos, I'm confronted with someone’s buttock cheek at least once every 10 minutes. When did this happen? When did it become acceptable to wear such, on occasion inappropriately, short shorts so casually on our home streets? The last time I wore these types of shorts (and as I say, I've seen shorter!) was a few years ago whilst on holiday in the Caribbean, and I really didn't feel out of place there, but at the time I wouldn't have dreamed of wearing them to go  grocery shopping or window shopping in Birmingham town centre!

There appears to have been a shift; short or tall, young or older, slim or overweight, we are wearing them. These shorts are no longer reserved for festivals, holidays and walking down to the beach; we are now comfortable enough to wear them on a day to day basis in our home city, just like a pair of skinny fit jeans – only shorter! 




Denim Shorts  Dorothy Perkins
Sleeveless Blazer  H&M
Shoes ASOS
Bag Zara

Do you wear shorts and how short do you go? Is there an age limit for wearing 'booty' shorts or Daisy Dukes?

Later x

26 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen, you totally rock those shorts!
    Here in Australia, arse-revealing shorts are everywhere too, but they have been for ages, probably due to the weather. I must say that I'm not really a fan - it's just horrid having someone's bum cheeks in your face - just too short for my taste.
    However, I have nothing against the slightly longer ones.
    I'm 45, so have stopped wearing very short shorts, apart from at the beach.
    If I were a bit younger, I'd probably wear them more often, just not the very short ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, short shorts for the beach and these will be going straight in the summer holiday/beach drawer given my age!

      Delete
  2. Dear Colleen. You look great in theses shorts and with your amazing legs you can wear such a short.
    I think not everybody can go short like this and it's not for a workplace. A women should have perfect legs like you. And in my age over 40 its just for the beach.
    Have a nice day, Cla

    Glamupyourlifestyle.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaaw you are being far too kind about my legs, but thank you. These will be just for the beach too!

      Delete
  3. I love your look :P I have the same hat, i usually wear it with shorts like u :)
    Do u want follow each other? let me know! :)
    http://miss-cosmo15.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look smashing babes!!! I love your shorts and your styling, looks very moderate, nothing too revealing!!! I see loads of girls these days popping in and out of shops wearing this tiny shorts looking like under wears ''eyes popping'' they even wear tops looking like bras HAa! Speechless.I don't wear such cause i feel it doesn't portray you as a decent person and makes you look kin of cheap but these days girls think boys or men care less about these stuffs, but that's not true you know? they still judge you on what you are wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head! Some of these overly short shorts are truly "eye popping" and sometimes you cant help but stare in disbelief!

      Delete
  5. i think as long as you have great legs then wear shorts. But then the shoes make the difference after that depending on age. I don't like the bum cheeks hanging out even if you have a great bum. it is just a little bit too much and i am no prude but this morning someone got on the tube and i just thought she is sitting on the seats almost naked, eeewwww....if i had great legs i would always go short! you look gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me no like bum cheeks hanging out either, especially on public transport - eeew indeed! xx

      Delete
  6. It's reaching new heights...err, new length in the UK :D I personally don't like seeing that line that separates the cheeks from the beginning of the thighs. If you're on the beach, just ditch the shorts and wear a bikini bottom. I love wearing Daisy Dukes but only in appropriate places..like the church..hahahaha...just kidding. It's still just the beach for me. You look great in these ones you're wearing!! And that's also how short I can go when not on the beach. Have a lovely week sexy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. phew......glad you were kidding there ha ha. I think mine are a little on the short side so they will be reserved now for the beach. Roll on beach time! xx

      Delete
  7. Wow Colleen.. you look gorgeous!!! the shorts look wonderful on you.. so cool!

    I think there is a limit age for wearing shorts.. but the magic is not what to wear, it's how!

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Colleen! What an interesting point, I love shorts, I am addicted to them not only in summer but all the year, though of course I wear them much more during the warm days so in S/S! Let me say you rock with them! Looking really cool dear, the whole match works so perfectly! The sleeveless blazer and the bag are a gorgeour and glam touch! Kisses dear, have a good week ahead! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! shorts all year round, you are brave ha ha

      Delete
  9. You look so pretty!!!! I love the shorts!!!
    Have a good week, dear Colleen!!! my g+ and like for you!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely look Colleen !!! Your bag is super cool!
    x
    Nina
    http://trendsurvivor.com/2013/07/26/ps-personal-style-floral-silk-top/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Colleen, first my congrats: you look great in shorts and I love your complete look <3 I like it to wear shorts since a very long time - and I know how happy I was when the shorts came back before about 5 years. I have a high pile with shorts in each colour and I´m waiting always urgently for the summer that I can wear them :)

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de


    ReplyDelete
  12. you look perfect darling (and your legs too^^)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look amazing...I love hats but unfortunately I can not wear them....

    I am working on your sketch...

    Have a nice weekend...

    Lubica

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how healthy and beautiful you look, fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx