Wednesday, August 28, 2013

CHILLAX

It’s good for weight control!


Some of you will know from reading my previous post or following on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter that I have spent the last week relaxing and forgetting about the little stresses of life whilst cruising the seas of the Mediterranean thanks to Royal Caribbean (and my House of Fraser Mastercard).

I mentioned recently on my Facebook page the importance of relaxation and stress management for weight control. According to some researchers, stress can cause weight gain, partly due to the body’s hormonal response system.

Cortisol is a critical hormone with many actions in the body; it is also referred to as the “stress hormone” because excess cortisol is secreted during times of physical or psychological stress. Excess cortisol in the body can promote weight gain, and can even affect where we put on weight (some studies have shown that stress and elevated cortisol levels can cause fat accumulation in the abdominal area [the dangerous area] rather than the hips [the protective area]).

So the message is keep calm, stress free and chillax! Easier said than done, right? There are a number of things you can do to control stress levels and I guess it depends on you as an individual as to what method works best. I don’t think anyone could deny though, that a relaxing holiday can do wonders for your stress levels (until you get back and receive your credit card statement of course!), but unfortunately this therapeutic option is not necessarily feasible every time you are feeling a little under the weather. If only we could all pack our suitcase and jump on a plane at the drop of a hat when our boss, partner, kids or financial worries stress us out!

Anyway, I thought I would take the opportunity to share with you just a small selection of images – a mix of stunning architecture, imposing views, historical features and yummy food - from my recent holiday that made me forget about all the little stresses awaiting me at home. 
On board Royal Caribbean
One of the views from my stateroom
Views of Marseilles, France

Views of Genoa, Italy

Apparently Christopher Columbus' renovated home in Genoa, where he lived as a young boy

Views in Genoa -  you know you're on holiday when you're sheltered by palm trees

La Rambla in Barcelona, Spain - just a few minutes walk away I bought this top from Zara



The Sagrada Família Church in Barcelona designed by architect Antoni Gaudi, and believe it or not, it's still under construction since building work commenced in the 19th century.

"La Seu" Cathedral of Palma

Views in Valldemossa, Mallorca
Valldemossa Village - could have easily sat here all day just people watching!
View from the cruise ship at Palma de Mallorca port

Valencia Cathedral, which sits at the heart of the old town of Valencia
Historical features in the Museum of Frederick Chopin, Mallorca - originally the monastery where composer and pianist Chopin lodged, but it has been turned in to a museum for our entertainment now. There's our tour guide in the background.
Historical features in the Museum of Frederick Chopin, Mallorca  -  one of the bedrooms in the monastery where the monks would have stayed
Romeo and Juliet dining room on board the ship
The breakfast I ate in the dining room most mornings: - nom nom nom - for a person that usually only eats Alpen for breakfast, this was a treat for me and I could never finish it!



Instagram

For my last night I wore one of my summer holiday wardrobe essentials: the Palazzo pants. These are from Matalan, and yes, I'm sporting my crop top....... again!


Later x
FACEBOOK    x      TWITTER   x   INSTAGRAM

26 comments:

  1. It looks amazing! You may have convinced me about a cruise now.... :) xx

    sheworechic.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, you really should give it a go - love them! x

      Delete
  2. Great Pictures, i´m sure you have fun. And just watching the Pictures keep my stress-level down. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing pics...I am glad that you back...

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. HELLO DEAR ...!
    I just got here in your Blog, Really great pictures!
    I would be really happy if you'd like to follow each other? ... let me know
    WAITING FOR YOU
    KISSES AND HAVE A NICE DAY!

    MY BLOG> http://mcaruso930.blogspot.it/
    FACEBOOK> http://www.facebook.com/ThisIsMyStyleByMartinaBlog?ref=hl
    ISTANGRAM> http://instagram.com/martina_caruso_style/
    LOOKBOOK> http://lookbook.nu/user/2222532-Martina-C
    Stylight> http://www.stylight.it/martina_caruso_style/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect way of easing stress, i wish i could do the same right now, I got too much stress to deal with huh?! Work stress, kids stress, home stress, name it! I cant stop counting lol. Like i use to tell my hubby that i got loads of surnames now Bimkim- kitchen, Bimkim--work, Bimkim- kids, Bimkim-bills,Bimkim-laundry, Bimkim-Nagging just name it. Right now i need a long holiday,I wish i get one soon. I am so jealous of your pictures, I giggled reading through the credit card joke, Omg!!! the credit card issue is no joke babes. Did i tell you that you made me buy the Zara bag, i saw the way you posed with it and i fell in love with the bag. My mum saw me starring at your pose and loved your pictures so much and bought one for herself too.
    Kisses...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAAAAH - big grin!! I'm so pleased you and your mum bought the Zara bag - I love it, enjoy it!

      Oh my goodness yes you have beautiful kids so I can imagine your stresses are 10 times that of mine, but I bet you wouldn't change any of it for the world x

      Delete
  6. Just looking at that second photo is making me relax! So serene looking out to sea there. Your photos are lovely and you visited some wonderful places. I love Barcelona and Valencia is one of those places that has been on 'my list' for a while. A cooked breakfast is one of those luxuries/treats which I enjoy on holiday or weekends away. That's a great holiday outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you. I hope you brought back that weather with you! Looks like you had a wonderful trip :D And the crop top cropped up again :D Love it! Have a lovely day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it did, sorry to keep showing you my midriff!! x

      Delete
  8. Welcome back gorgeous! Sooo.. How was it? :) By the snaps I can tell-Amazing!!!
    missed you:)

    and yes.. you are rockin this beautiful wide floral pants looking fabulous as always! p.s-lovely top form zara

    kisses,
    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for these wonderful and inspiring pics, my dear!!! I've to admit that I'm a bit jealous now - I'm dreaming of a cruise for such a long time <3 ... Think I've to do it in the next years :-) ... Great to be on your blog again <3 ... - Kisses from Vienna,

    Katja

    www.collectedbykatja.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Colleen! Your words are so true and I agree with them. I try to avoid stress and just keep things easy but sometimes is easier said than done indeed!:) Holidays are made for this, though every time I am back I suffer of nostalgia!:) Seems you had an amazing cruise, the tour you have done is awesome, I like all the places where you stopped by and what a concidence, last weekend I was in Barcelona too, isnt La Rambla so cool? I laughed over the guys with that weird sound with the mouth, have you heard it? Lol!:) Btw, handsome photos, you look so great dear, the palazzo pants suit you as well as the crop top!:) Have a nice evening, hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah yes yes I did hear it, those little whistle things in their mouths, so funny, nearly bought one, but I bought a fan instead x

      Delete
  11. The tour you have done is awesome!! I hope you enjoyed Spain...
    Have a nice evening, dear Colleen!! g+ and like for you!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cruise looks like it was on a great route! You look very vacationy - but very few can pull of palazzo pants - its one of those things that feel great and make you feel think and swishy but you need long legs...So true about cortisol - with me i tend to bloat when stressed and so i need to get lymphatic drainage. Ahh, almost the end of summer! no....it only just got going here didn't it? PS I dont know how i only just saw your post so a bit late to the party doll xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah I know what you mean about the palazzos, although to be fair I'm only a wee 5ft4" - there's always wedges I guess?

    Nooo don't say that: "end of summer".....I'm living in denial about that at the moment! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. are you seriously only 5'4??? you look about 5 9! I guess its your legs but for some reason you look tall...Ahhh see how you have a different idea about celebs ;P

      Delete
    2. Wow compliment or what! I should have kept quiet and just left everyone thinking I was supermodel height ha x

      Delete
    3. Babes, you and tom cruise have the same problem!!! ;)

      Delete
  14. Sooner or later I'll go on a cruise!

    Come back soon to visit me on…
    Nameless Fashion Blog
    Nameless Fashion Blog Facebook page

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dearest Colleen, I thought on you the last day because I knew that you made this trip with the ship! Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful photos, it looks like that it was indeed as relaxing as it was necessary for you :) And you look so beautiful in your outfit with the cropped top, and really happy, so I´m sure you had a great holiday <3

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, how I was wish!
    Boat cruise, dream cruise!
    Loll!
    Nway, dreams do come true.
    Someday!
    Beautiful pictures.
    Thanks for sharing. And welcome back!
    Xoxo
    Portia

    http://justporsh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, it would be heavenly if one could just take a vacation every time someone annoys and thus stresses them!:) I'm so low on energy and it's really starting to bug me so I'd die for a cruise like this right now!!! That first photo... For someone who's addicted to the sea (I LOVE everything about it, the smell, the air, the wind, the waves) that first picture is pure heaven...

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx