Thursday, August 01, 2013

HATS OFF TO YOU

Well actually it’s hats on!
COVETING: Biba at House of Fraser Floppy Straw Hat; Asos Black Fedora Hat;
Diesel Charcoal Trilby Hat;  River Island Beige Bowler Hat

If I've been lucky enough to have you as a loyal, long-term reader of my blog, you may have noticed that I have a penchant for hats; I wouldn't say they represent my signature style, but I have worn them in quite a few of my posts – here, here and here for example. I've mentioned before why I love wearing hats, but I will repeat it here: they act as an accompaniment to a bad hair day; of course they keep the warmth in when it’s chilly; I always think a good hat really adds interest to an outfit; hats protect my Afro-Caribbean hair from turning in to a 'fro' (an Afro) when it rains, not a good look when it’s not intentional.

There are so many styles of hat, but my favourites have to be the ‘Trilby’, the ‘Floppy’, the ‘Fedora’ and more recently the ‘Bowler’ hat - I'm wearing the latter in my previous post.

Gals! There’s a new hat in town - well, a hat revival - and I've been debating for a while whether it should grace my wardrobe – the ‘Beanie’. I've seen quite a few girls wearing beanie hats and thought they looked super cool….on them. For me, on the other hand, trying to pull off the grunge look would be a step in the right direction to becoming a fashion victim, well…. so I thought until I was inspired by a few images from the catwalk. Why did I think a beanie hat could only ever achieve grungy, masculine status and be an obvious manifestation of casualness?

These gals look splendid in their beanies:

Source

Source


I've now learnt that with the right classy outfit and a stylish bag, there’s no reason why a beanie hat can’t achieve chic status. I'm off to find a beanie! Are you?

Later x

12 comments:

  1. I really noticed in the past your passion for
    hat´s.
    But you absolutily have a hat-face. And sometimes a hat can give a outfit a specual touch.
    Have a nive weekend, Cla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed before that you like your hats and you suit them too. I've never really been a hat person yet I always admire them on others. There's such a variety around at the moment and the floppy one here has caught my attention. As for the last three photos - well, they certainly have made the humble beanie hat look remarkably chic!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to have you back, my dear :-) ...!!! Great selection of amazing looks or rather hats <3 ...!! Looking forward to see you wearing hats in your next posts :-) ... What do you think about my today's look? Kisses from Vienna,

    Katja

    www.collectedbykatja.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are def a hat girl! a mad hatter if you will :)

    But I have tried but the most i manage is a hoodie. It just feels odd on my head. even baseball caps - i don't know what is wrong with me bc i do admire them on other people - but where are the modelling pics?? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee, I haven't found the right beanie yet for modelling pics.

      Nothing is wrong with you, there will always be something that doesn't suit you particularly well. Mine is skinny jeans with flats! I bet I could find you a hat that you'd feel comfortable in though xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Colleen! I know you have a passion for hats! I also got it, wear them very often through the year, recently I am addicted to Panama hats, just this morning I wore mine and was thinking to get another one!:) I think beanies are so nice to put on and, not only keep you warm in winter, but give a very cool and classy accent! Kisses dear, have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like beanies very much! They look great and also, protect us from the cold :) I loved your selection, especially hat number 1!!!! Actually, I won't buy a beanie now, but maybe in November :) denisesplanet com

    ReplyDelete
  7. just a view on the next season! i'm not so in love with hat, but in Italy winter is so cold!!so thanks ;)
    vale

    would you like to follow each other?
    La ragazza con la valigia | Facebook | Bloglovin | Last post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colleen.. As always I love to read your posts! You have a true writing talent hun..

    Hat are my thing.. Beanies not so much-Bad hair for them:) Good luck finding the one that you love.. Can't wait to see!

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, for me it´s the same, dear Colleen! During the last days I decided that I in each case must have a beanie at least in this Autuum - so I thank you really for confirming my thoughts and showing this great inspirations :) And regarding hats, I share this perference with you ...

    Hope you had a great weekend so far and you are happy and relaxed <3

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the hats!!!
    Besos, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx