Friday, September 27, 2013

TO EAT CARBS, OR NOT TO EAT CARBS

That is the question!


 I am still surprised by the number of people who choose to eliminate all carbohydrates from their diet in fear of gaining weight or not losing weight. In fact, just this week I heard a couple of celebs on the Emmy's red carpet (via TV of course, E News to be exact) boasting about the fact they had starved themselves of 'carbs' for weeks in an attempt to fit comfortably in to their couture gowns. Carbohydrates are not the enemy folks, but the type and amount of carbohydrates, and what we put on them can be, if we are not careful.

Let's take an example. I know quite a few people who refrain from eating potatoes because “they are fattening”. It is worth pointing out here that gram for gram carbohydrates contain the same amount of calories as protein (4kcals/g). What tends to make carbohydrates fattening is the amount we eat and/or the fats we add to them.  Mashed potatoes are a classic case in point. A common accompaniment to most meals; we pile the mashed potatoes on to our plate, our mouth salivating as we see this creamy, fluffy dollop fall off the spoon. Creamy because we've mashed it in with full fat milk/cream, lots of butter and finished off by melting in some cheddar cheese. Delicious, yes; calorific, I’m afraid so, especially if you’re one of those people who haven’t quite got to grips with serving smaller portions or leaving food on your plate. Read more about carbohydrates here.

Now I’m not going to suggest that you never eat your favourite recipe of mashed potatoes again, however, I was having some potatoes myself yesterday and thought I’d write a quick post on my oven roasted potato and sweet potato wedges: high in fibre - low in fat/calories. These might not suit everyone’s taste, but for someone like me who actually loves chips, I feel the wedges are an easy alternative with much less oil and less need for salt!

Grab yourself one sweet potato or a Maris Piper potato, whichever you prefer, or both -  I used both. Each packs a powerful nutritional punch, although sweet potatoes have the edge nutritionally over white potatoes. In addition, despite the name, sweet potatoes have a lower GI than white potatoes, so they should keep you feeling fuller for longer.


Scrub the potatoes clean and cut them in to chunky wedges. Don’t be tempted to peel the skins as they provide us with the extra fibre.


Grab yourself some seasoning/spices - I used paprika, dried mixed herbs, ground black pepper and grabbed some thyme out the garden. You really don’t need to add salt. Rub it all in, so that every wedge is covered with flavour.




Spray the roasting dish with a couple of sprays of ‘one-cal spray’ and spread the wedges in one layer.



Pop them in the oven on gas mark 6 for 45 minutes whilst you get your protein and vegetables ready. Serve with a low sugar/fat/salt dip or sauce such as salsa, or you could make a homemade dip. Beware of creamy dips though, which can be laden with oil!


I had mine with chicken and salad - nom, nom, nom! What would you have yours with, or are you still a zero-carb fiend?


Later x

19 comments:

  1. I love sweet potatoes and potatoes but had not thought about roasting them together - they look so appetising too with the paprika sprinkled over giving them a good colour. I think I'll try them with chicken and salad too. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to buy some thyme as our plant which had been in the garden for a few years for some strange reason died earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised mine is still alive to be fair, I'm not a garden person!

      Delete
  2. Must say i am not a chips eating person, I love your presentation so much,You make me wanna fall in love with potatoe wedges,Am always very careful with stuffing in carbs or fats because have got big bones so i rather build up muscles cause slimming does not really work for my body. I love raja so much especially for making soups.Great tips on how to cut carbs. Have a lovely weekend babes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. love paprika on most things!! could eat chips everyday...i keep forgetting to eat sweet potatoes so i must start adding them.also i find that salt makes up for lack of cream tho i know i need to beware of sodium...have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to experiment more with paprika actually! x

      Delete
    2. try proper sweet paprika from a deli - makes a big difference plus cayenne sprinkled is good plus doesn't it speed up the metabolism?

      Delete
    3. I'm quite a fussy eater when it comes to flavours remember so too sweet (with savoury) or too spicy doesn't work for me really, but I will certainly give it a try - thanks for the tip.

      The active compound in hot peppers, known as Capsaicin, appears to stimulate the metabolism according to research, but of course people'd have to eat quite a bit of it for it to make any real difference to a person's weight loss efforts. x

      Delete
  4. Your roasted potatoes looks so appetising and it´s exactly how i like my potatoes. I´m not afraid about carbohydrates ,but same day i eat more and the next day i be careful with carbohydrates. And so i hold my weight level constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Colleen! Well, let me tell you that I am totally a chips eating person as well lol.Love eating potatoes in every way possible and never get tired of their delicious flavours!:) Im pretty shaken about what celebrities said about carbs..I think is totally wrong to eliminate them. Just pay attention on the amount and in which way they are cooked. Plus is so wrong the message they send with their words. Btw, your dishes looks very good and healthy, would love to have it right now!:) I pin the photo dear, very appetizing!:) Kisses, have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your roasted potatoes are looking (and probably tasted) so delicious!!!
    Love the fact that you share not only your great style but also your talent in the kitchen!! :)

    Have a great weekend hun,

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never was and never will be a zero-carb fiend. Eating rice is in my genes so not having any in one week makes me weak and grumpy. I love sweet potatoes so your recipe 's a great alternative to just plain chips. Plus I sprinkle paprika on anything really (here's a fave: chips topped with a fried egg then with a dash of paprika!). Between shoes and chocolate, I can live without chocolate but not without my high heels. Hahahahaha. Hope you're having a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh haven't tried paprika on eggs yet!
      Yep agree - shoes over chocolate any day! x

      Delete
  8. Wow delicious!!!
    Have a good week, dear Colleen!!! my g+ and like's for you!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Colleen, exactly this discussions if carbs are bad or not we have nearly every day in our canteen. I personally eat carbs because I like e. g. pasta and potatoes and bread. And fortunately I don´t have any problems with my weight although I normally eat what I like to eat at the moment. And this is often salad but also some things with carbs. Of this cause your recipe with the potatoes is absolutely my taste - and it´s so funny that I make them nearly in the similar way when we have a barbecue in summer :)

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  10. All my fav meals consists of huge portions of carbohydrate and starch (I'm Ibo/Nigerian, its in our genes. :( .)
    But starting from today, I've decided to treat my body right n all by staying away from most of d carbs. Its not gonna be easy, but I wnt to give it a shot.
    Your potatoes look soo good!
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nooo that's exactly what I don't want you to do babes. I don't want you to eliminate carbs, I just want you to be choosy with which carbs (choose whole-grain-high fibre) and the portion size!

      Delete
  11. it looks so delicious...I will try it...thank you for sharing...

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank god there's somebody out there that posted this! You can get fat from carrots if you smother them in butter or eat a tub of them. No food is fattening in itself, it's about moderation and combination. Yo.:) I love your recipe, babe, I prepare a similar dish from time to time, I just put sliced onions in the pan too. And I had no idea sweet potatoes had a lower GI than white potatoes, that's really surprising to me actually!

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx