Sunday, November 10, 2013

BOOST YOUR OMEGA 3 FAT INTAKE

With salmon fish-cakes



Some of you might have noticed a Facebook post last week stating that I attended the Nutrition and Health Live conference at the Olympia Exhibition Centre in London. I attend every year because it counts towards my CPD  (Continuing Professional Development) and it’s a great opportunity to network with other nutrition professionals, and taste all the yummy samples that the various health companies are promoting. There are also a number of speakers presenting the latest research in diet and nutrition. One area of research I was particularly interested in was the role of diet in managing ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).

As part of my role as a Registered Nutritionist, I have had the opportunity to spend some time in schools and work with children, teaching them about science and nutrition. There were a few children that displayed learning and behavioural problems, some of whom were formally diagnosed with ADHD. My younger brother has severe autism and was diagnosed with ADHD 20 years ago, so the management of ADHD has long been a topic close to my heart. One of the speakers presented research which showed that omega 3 fats contribute to the management of ADHD in under-performing children. This is something that I have been reading up on for some time, so it was refreshing to see the evidence in black and white.

Hopefully most of you will know how important it is to incorporate omega 3 fats in to your diet; the best way to do this is by eating oily fish, which is a particularly rich source. Omega 3 fats are important for heart health, skin health and immune function, and there is emerging evidence about them benefiting cognitive function too. We are recommended to eat at least two portions of fish each week, one of which should be an oily fish such as sardines, fresh tuna, trout, salmon, pilchards, however, surveys show that average intakes of oily fish in the UK are below the recommended target; that’s somewhat shocking given we are encouraged to only eat one portion a week.

Do you eat oily fish at least once a week?

Children are the worst for consuming oily fish……I know it wasn't on my list of favourite foods when I was a child, but I have found that fish-cakes go down a treat with the kids and adults in my family, so I thought I’d share my salmon fish-cakes with you – an omega 3 fat boost, without the really fishy taste!









Instructions

  • Chop 2-3 small potatoes (I used a combination of white and sweet potatoes) and boil them in water
  • Rub a 100g skinless salmon fillet all over with a little olive oil and a dash of lemon and pinch of pepper
  • When your potatoes have half way cooked, place the salmon into a colander; cover and place the colander over the pot of boiling potatoes. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until the salmon and potatoes are both cooked. 
  • Drain the potatoes and then mash them. When the mashed potatoes are cool put them into a bowl and flake the fish into it with 1 tablespoon of flour. Add half a beaten egg and some chopped chive with another pinch of pepper and then mix it all up really well. If the mixture is a bit wet, add some extra flour.
  • Dust a plate with some flour and divide your fish cakes into 4. You can freeze them at this point by wrapping them in Clingfilm and putting them into the freezer. If you plan to cook them there and then just pop them into the fridge for an hour before cooking – this will allow them to firm up slightly. 
  • Put a frying pan on a medium heat and add a couple of lugs of olive oil. When the oil is nice and hot, add your fish-cakes and cook for about 3 – 4 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Serve straight away and enjoy with a salad or some vegetables of yours or the kid’s choice.

    Later x


27 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks for sharing this recipe! We eat oily fish 2 or 3 times a week, usually salmon or mackerel or trout, but my kids are shocker and refuse to have anything to do with fish. Such a shame, as they used to love it when they were little.
    Shall try this with them. It's interesting and very encouraging to know that oily fish can have an impact on the management of ADHD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's kids for you.....if it's not fish fingers, they're not touching them!

      Delete
  2. Yes! The Mayr stress omega 3, 6, and 9 all the time. I also take Udo's as it is delicious plus makes it easy to consume and you can pour it over anything. But fishcakes are the yummiest way to ingest them. It is amazing how many people are deficient in omegas and children especially lack omegas yet are at a crucial stage and need it for brain development!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to take Udos, but I aim to get everything from food now; plus I wasn't keen on the taste. It made smoothies really......well really smooth! x

      Delete
  3. As I come from a family of medical practitioners, my parents have always stressed the importance of eating fish, so it's always been incorporated in my diet. My mum always just says to go easy on tinned tuna as too much of it can lead to elevated uric acid level which can lead to gout. I grew up in a coastal town in the Philippines also so fresh fish is always included in the menu. I always try to eat at least a portion of fish every week (a colleague commented on the smell; next time I'll tell him to bugger off! Haha). Speaking of fishcakes, I just spent on a variety of them from M&S! Hahahaha. Craving for it coz it's cold. I bookmarked your recipe. The Mr will do it one of these days :D Love fish and if ever I'll have kids, I'll force-feed them with fish! Haha. Have a lovely day xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I must admit M&S do some lovely fishcakes. Although tuna is classed as an oily fish, generally this only applies to fresh tuna because tinned tuna has very little omega 3 in comparison to other oily fish - not keen on fresh tuna though.

      I love the way you say Mr will make it one day, I know who wears the trousers in your household then lol x

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm so sorry for your brother, now I get how much this topic is really important to you. Honestly, I dont eat much fish..before I used to have it more but dont know why, now very less. Sometimes I dont like the taste and others yes, I know is weird. But it is good for Omega 3 fats as you said, so just made me think I should include more of it in my diet. The recipe you shared looks really good and healthy, need to try it too. Happy Sunday! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is a shame for my brother, although we've had two decades to get used to it now. You'll have to let me know what fish you try x

      Delete
  5. So sorry about your brother Colleen. Been here numbers of time to check out your new post but found none until i found this very interesting topic. Thanks so much for this great recipe,I have always loved fish right from my young age,my dad use to take me fishing when i was young and he also maintained a fish pound, I think that was where the love of fish came from, I love all kinds except for salmon fish which i hate so much. I learnt something from my mum, early morning before school my mum would put my vitamin sweets beside my plate, so i do the same with my kids.My kids love Titus fish and fish fingers so much,they eat this almost everyday. Thanks so much for this fish cake recipe, my kids will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim and aaaw how lovely that you used to go fishing, I've never been fishing! Did you eat the fish you caught?

      Delete
    2. Yes, we always do.
      Kisses...

      Delete
  6. This looks so delicious and is exactly my taste. I really like fish and i try to eat it a few times in the week. My favorite fish is salmon. Thank you for this yummie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's interesting, the link between Omega 3 fats and ADHD. I'm a huge fan of fish, salmon being a favourite so I'm definitely going to be trying your recipe and thanks for the tip about freezing them. It's worth making a big batch and they would be handy as a healthy stand by meal in the freezer. I really enjoy the way your posts are always so varied!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I freeze a lot of my meals for convenience and then it's just like having a homemade ready meal!

      Delete
  8. I'm basically addicted to tuna, so there's no worry about my omega 3 fat intake, but now they're saying that tuna and other large fish aren't healthy anymore because they contain too much mercury so it's safer to eat small fish (like sardines, mackerel, etc). They actually started to advise against eating fish during your pregnancy in Sweden. I know that neither one of us two are planning on getting pregnant, but what's good for pregnant women, it's definitely good for us too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the general recommendation is two portions of fish a week - they tend to restrict it to that amount because of concerns over things like what you pointed out.

      yep! no plans for pregnancy here!

      Delete
  9. I should have attended this conference, to see if someone could put healthy "habits" in my mind... I confess, I am terrible. My family is always worried about me and my health and habits. I don;t eat meat since I was a child - think of everything, fish, shrimps, etc... and I know it's so important... my brothers are so into healthy food and keep on telling me off... I simply don't like the taste of fish, meat in general, but I know they are important... but my doctor prescribed some vitamins... I have to be a good girl and take them! Hope the conference was nice to you! And keep the healthy habits - I am glad you like them, as I said, I confess I am terrible! denisesplanet com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well bear in mind that vegetarian diets are considered to be one of the healthiest diets around, so as long as you have a varied and balanced vegetarian diet, you don't really have to eat meat. A lot of people don't like the taste of fish, especially children but I find fishcakes can help mask the fishy taste.

      Delete
  10. I definitely don't get nearly enough fish in my diet, in spite of knowing the benefits that come from it. I grew up in a landlocked place where fresh fish was only available rarely and really never developped a taste for it. But I think maybe, just maybe, combined with all of these other delivious ingredients, I might find a way to get a little more fish into my weekly diet. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to let me know how you get on with your portion of fish!

      Delete
  11. I have to admit, that I eat oily fish very seldom but the recipe which you show and describe here looks and sounds like as it is a try worth :) And I´m really impressed about your engagement to visit schools and teach the children about healthy food. I think there is a big gap in the knowledge of healthy food by many parents and much to much unhealthy food is consumed ...

    Hope you enjoyed the conference I can imagine that it was interesting!

    Wish you a happy new week!

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rena, it has been great working with the younger people. x

      Delete
  12. Wow delicious!!!
    Have a good week, dear Colleen!! my g+ and like for your post!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Colleen.. this post is so important!!! Unfortunately I don't eat fish.. but now I know that it's important to consume omega 3 for my health! You are such a wonderful person for teaching children about the meaning and importance of healthy food.. You are rare hun..

    The recipe looks delicious!!!

    kisses,
    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a lovely weekend.
    Kisses..

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx