Friday, November 29, 2013

SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE

with a meat free, high fibre twist


If you were to ask me about my favourite food, I would have to say meat and poultry - I’m a carnivore through and through and I love me a good carvery. I realised this when I went through a teenage phase of trying to be a vegetarian - it didn't last long. Cover your eyes for a moment…..my favourite meats/poultry are lamb steak, duck, gammon, pork belly, bacon and turkey leg. I know, I know, what’s a nutritionist doing liking all this red meat I hear you ask. I won’t deny that some of my favourites are not the healthiest source of protein and that’s why I’m conscious not to overindulge on these foods; I might treat myself to a gammon and chips or lamb steak when I go out for dinner for instance.

It’s worth mentioning that although eating a lot of red meat is linked to bowel cancer, red meat is a good source of nutrients including protein, iron and zinc, so it’s more a case of cutting down on how much you eat and opting for lean cuts, rather than eliminating it from the diet altogether -  thank goodness!

Despite my love of meat, I always try to have a meat free day at least once or twice a week. There is an initiative called ‘Meat FreeMonday’ which is a campaign that encourages people to have a least one meat free day as a way to promote increased consumption of fruit and vegetables, whole grains and legumes in an attempt to improve public health and reduce our carbon footprint - animal livestock (such as the cows that are killed to make our beef) have been found to be one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions in the UK diet. I don’t necessarily have my meat free day on a Monday, but I’m sure to include one or two days in the week when I refrain from eating any meat at all.

This week, for my meat free day, I decided to go back to my university days when, despite training to be a nutritionist, I used to live on spaghetti bolognese made with Dolmio sauce, lamb mince and white spaghetti – it was a quick and easy student meal. So, this week I decided to make an equally quick and easy meat free, high fibre version. I haven't included the recipe instructions because most people know the basic method to cook spaghetti bolognese -  my aim here was to make an already simple and relatively healthy dish, in to a meat free, higher fibre meal: I replaced the beef/lamb mince with quorn mince and substituted the white pasta for wholewheat pasta. I know some people do not like wholewheat pasta so why not gradually introduce yourself to it by having half and half - half wholewheat, half white, oh and I made my own sauce with tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and red wine so I knew exactly what ingredients were going in to my meal - no nasties (sugar/salt/additives).

If you do want to know anything about the recipe I used or instructions, just let me know.........






Served with the remainder of the wine that I used in the recipe - Mama Mia!


Are you a meat lover or do you prefer more of a vegetarian-based diet?

Later x

25 comments:

  1. I love meat as I get older funny enough but what are your views on quorn and it's detractors. I would love to know your thoughts on it. Also some say tofu depending on constitution raises oestrogen. But I love steak and pork belly! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaah yes, they say you're eating mould because the mycoprotein, which the quorn is made from is from the fungus family, so of course, you will get some reservations about eating it, just like people have reservations about eating meat. Mycoprotein is a nutritious, meat free alternative and I wouldn't advise against it just because it's from the fungus family. There are reports of people experiencing symptoms from eating it, but people experience symptoms from eating bread and drinking orange juice so you have to be sensible. If it doesn't work for you, don't eat it. Back to the point about fungus, pencillin is derived from a mould/fungus, but most people wouldn't refuse an antibiotic. Edible substances from the fungus family have their place.

      There is so much scaremongering about certain foods including soy. Soy is actually useful as part of a cholesterol lowering diet and there are a lot of health related phytochemicals in soy. What you are probably referring to are the isoflavones which are weak phytooestrogens (oestrogen-like compounds found in plants). Isoflavone levels do vary in different types of tofu products but your body's oestrogen is much stronger than the oestrogen-like isoflavones in soy and no human clinical studies have found that soy or isoflavones adversely affect markers of oestrogen levels. So the general recommendation is that it is fine to eat moderate amounts of soy (not supplements, food) as part of a balanced diet. I don't like it though! x

      Delete
    2. True and you're right about that. But its just that there are so many fascist dictatorial trends with food it all gets muddled up! But I love soy and love it as a food so I continue x

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious and I always add a dash of red wine to my bolognese sauce too but I still haven't tried quorn. For a while now we have been trying to eat more fish during the week and chicken is so versatile too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama Mia indeed!!!:D You know I'm with you about the wine - in the sauce and in the glass.:) You'd be proud of me, I only eat wholewheat pasta. And bread and biscuits and everything basically. And I do love the taste of meat, a nice big juicy beef stake - heaven. But I feel so guilty afterwards... Now I mainly only eat seafood. Which does nothing for my protein intake in comparison to red meat but you can't win them all... Right?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow it's rare to find people who eat wholewheat pasta!
      Well seafood is a good source of protein too, so at least you are having something.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe ut's a meet free bolognese sauce! If I wouldn't read what your wrote I would never guess!
    It looks delicious.. easy and healthy meal! I have to admit I never do a bolognese with nothing but meat .. bet thanks to you.. I definably gonna try to make one!! Hope it'll turned out tasty as your!

    You such a talented person Colleen... a great stylist and a great cook!

    Have a great weekend hun,
    kisses..
    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaaaw that's sweet - "a great stylist and a great cook" - so I did manage to fool you all ha ha

      Delete
  5. Hi Colleen, well for me your recipe is perfect. You know, (and now I'm talking to the Nutritionist) I didnt eat meat anymore from a while now, it just happens that I stopped to like the meat flavor and I prefer a vegetarian-based diet, though Im not totally vegetarian since I eat fish. Btw, your recipe sounds good and the fact you replaced the meat with quorn makes it more interesting. I am curious to try it, is so appetiting and mouthwatering. I enjoy when you prepare meat free recipes or just give some nutriotion info, Im always interested about it. Many kisses my dear, hope you have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The spaghetti bolognese is my favorite food!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend, dear Colleen!! my g+ and like for you!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I eat meat not so often, maybe i could eat vegatarian, but sometimes my body wnat some meat. Your Pictures looks great and never thought it would be without meat. I thank you for the recipe, fpr sure i will try it.
    Have a nice weekend
    http://glamupyourlifestyle.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious!
    Would you like to follow each other on gfc and bloglovin? Let me know.
    www.vworldrocks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks yum and healthy.Nice recipe, love it!!!
    New post up.
    Have a fab Sunday evening.
    http://rock4less.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the opposite to you, dear Colleen, I don´t like meat very much, and I prefer it to eat food without food. Of this cause the recipe you show here sounds and looks really interesting for me, although I never heard before about Quorn. Now I must immediately look if I can get this in Germany, too :)

    Hope you had an enjoying Sunday in Advent, I wish you a happy new week with as meat as you want :)

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before anything else, I love the styling on the 1st food photo :) I've tried other Qourn products and can't complain, but I still love my bolognese to be made of meat. I just try to eat in moderation so I can eat full-fat and non-wholewheat. I just associate taste with satisfaction from my food, so I still go for the regular variety. The only thing I substituted is sugar, with honey. Going back to meat, I try to have it only once a week or even not at all. It's too much to digest, but I can't be a vegetarian, though I love vegetables. I didn't realise there's scaremongering about soy? I love it with mushrooms! And thank you for your explanation about isoflavones. Always great to learn something more each time :) Have a lovely week Colleen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG Colleen it is looking so tasty....have a great week and thank you for your amazing comment on my post......

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious! It's making me hungry.

    www.hungrycaramella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks really yummy!
    I loovveee meat!
    Loll!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Collen :) i'm italian! this recipe is perfect :D
    check my blog if you want too:)
    NEW POST -> tr3ndygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a great day my dear, kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a fabulous day, I need to see your next post soon,wanna see you rock!
    Kisses...''red cheeks'' lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I am totally cool with it, I don't have to cover my eyes :) I am a total vegetarian - not vegan, but vegetarian for decades (I was a child - under 9! when I decided to be a vegetarian). My parents couldn't convince me to eat meat again, but my whole family love meat. Honestly, the doctor said "she could have grown more", like my tall brothers. If I knew it at the time, I wouldn't have been so stubborn! Now it's too late :) I'm short for the rest of my time :) But it's fine! denisesplanet com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just checking on you. Have a perfect weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx