Friday, 20 December 2013

CHRISTMAS (WHOOP WHOOP!)

Tips and gifts

It’s the weekend before Christmas, so in my book that means two things: dishing out all the ‘how to manage your weight over Christmas’ tips, and last minute shopping for gifts for me my family and friends. I’ll start with some of my weight management tips, which I presented at a local corporate well-being event last year, to set you in good stead for the reported 6000 calories we will all be consuming on Christmas day.....no, not in the lead up to Christmas, actually on the festive day itself. If you are not particularly interested in weight management, you can gently dab the mince pie crumbs from your lip as you scroll down to the fashion bit.

1. Damage Limitation with Alcohol
There’s no doubt that alcohol plays a big part in being responsible for our excess calorie intake over the festive period. Not only is alcohol high in calories, it also reduces your restraint, which could result in you eating lots of calories as well as drinking them. You can reduce your calorie intake from alcohol - without being a party-pooper - in the following ways: alternate alcoholic drinks with water or a diet soft drink; order a small glass of wine instead of a large glass; be mindful that creamy liqueurs like Baileys and creamy cocktails are higher in calories than other alcoholic beverages; ask for single measures rather than double measures; dilute alcoholic drinks by opting for mixers such as gin and slim-line tonic or Bacardi and diet coke (both of which are approximately only 60 calories providing you go for a single spirit measure). 

2. Practice Portion Control
It’s Christmas, so I’m not going to ruin the experience by saying that you can’t eat some of your favourite treats, however simply by reducing the serving size of your meals and/or desserts, you can significantly reduce your calorie intake. Try going for 2 roast potatoes instead of 5, or a small fun size pack of chocolate rather than king size and two scoops of trifle rather than four. This way you are not depriving yourself and you get a taste for the things you enjoy, without overdoing it on the calories. You’ll feel better for it too, rather than suffering with that ‘stuffed’ feeling.

3. Increase your physical activity
Don’t just focus on the calorie intake side of the equation; remember you can burn off a few of those excess calories by increasing your physical activity. This may be an extra Zumba class each week, going out for a walk with your other half or the kids, or even getting up on the dance floor at all those parties.

4. Avoid being famished when you arrive at a party
We've all heard the diet tip about not going shopping when you are hungry, well I believe the same applies for parties where calorie laden nibbles are plentiful. Try to avoid going to your party hungry as you are far more likely to impulse eat and overeat. Instead, have a light meal before you go to take the edge off your appetite and hopefully reduce cravings. You could otherwise quite easily blow a whole day’s calorie consumption in an evening of grazing.

5. Ensure your cupboards aren't stocked with high calorie seasonal snacks
Restaurants and parties aren't the only places we tend to overeat. Cuddled up next to a glowing fire watching your favourite Christmas TV can lend itself to comfort eating. If trifle, mince pies and Quality Street are readily available in your home, the likelihood is you are going to eat them. Try to limit the amount of calorie dense foods you keep at home. If it’s there you will eat it, if it’s not you can’t…..


So those are some of my health and nutrition tips -  good luck if you are trying to manage your calorie intake over Christmas; the festive season is most probably the hardest time of year to do this, with holidays abroad coming a close second.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the last minute shopping for family and friends; well that’s what I have planned for this weekend, but of course you've got to get your priorities right first and make sure you treat yourself to some new party shoes, so that’s exactly what I have done. I have ASOS to thank for these pretty, patent Mary Jane 'lookalikies'.










HAPPY CHRISTMAS!
............ xx ...............

20 comments:

  1. That's what I say - if it’s there you will eat it, if it’s not you can’t! So I just don't buy crap.:) Then my boyfriend comes over and complains why don't I have any chocolate or cookies and other shit. Because I'm smart, that's why.:) As for your 4. advice... I'm ALWAYS starving when I get to a party because I don't eat anything the entire day since I know I'll eat later at the party and then I stuff myself like a pig. Feel free to call me an idiot, yes.:D

    P.S.: You got yourself some fabulous shoesies, babe.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, you're not an idiot, it's just how we humans rationalise things in our mind. Its rational to save the calories during the day so you can pig out in the evening: rational, but not sensible.....

      Delete
    2. At least I'm rational if I can't be sensible.:D I must not pig out this year, damn it...

      Did you see this?? I love Kim in this, she's so calm and cool... And real!!

      CLICK

      Delete
  2. I never seem to find anything on asos...but everyone else finds the cutest things! But actually for me Xmas isn't that bad bot winter as a whole. I eat more biscuits and sweets plus I don't want to move so that's a bad combo. But I am taking vitamin d sporadically this winter so we shall see. But merry Xmas to you and yours xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not alone: more comfort food and less time in the great outdoors affects us all. Damage limitation is key, never deprive yourself of the things you enjoy, but have strategies to deal with the amount you have. Have a good one Naomi xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Colleen! Thanks for your nutrition tips, Ive read them carefully and be sure I will follow them, though is Christmas and Id love to not pay much attention on calories (even if then I will regret!:P). Btw, you have been sooo spoiled yourself, well done! Those shoes are to die for, great choice dear! And let me say that your Xmas tree is utterly magic and you look so cute under it!:) Kisses dear, Merry Christmas and happy holidays, hope you have a beautiful time! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips Colleen! Honestly,this advice was meant for me.I need to kick my two favorites Rice veggie and Cakes they are killing me lol. Yeah,back to those killer heels you purchased at Asos. I love them to bits,they so chic and they look sleek on your legs. Nice Christmas tree babes,sob! sob! I don't have one here,am not feeling this Christmas at all. You know why? Too many deaths.I lost love for Xmas 2 years ago,it died a long time. I only scream it because of my Kids. Have a perfect Christmas in Advance.Bless you babes. Muwah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh babes I'm sorry you are not feeling Christmas and to hear of your sad news; I can fully appreciate your reasons. You have two beautiful children so I hope that together you can enjoy the festive period and I wish that life deals you some happy times for 2014 x

      Delete
    2. Thanks colleen,Wishing you and your family a Fabulous Xmas with all smiles.Kisses. I plan on visiting the church with my kids on Xmas day and i bought some bits from Iceland and other food stores yesterday would have preferred morrison but Man! It's very far from me.
      Heart you babes..
      rock4less.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
  5. Oh your christmas tree are so wonderful and your pictures with you under the tree are so cute.
    The shoes are really amazing, i want these too.
    And thank you fpr the nutrition tips. I take care the whole year, at christmas i´m a little but lazy. ;)

    I wish you a merry christmas, dear colleen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi hun.. first of all-Merry Christmas and happy holidays!!! the tips that you wrote are so important - you always write things that open up my eyes and mind..

    The pumps are so gorgeous, you are killing me with your magnificent accessories!

    the chrism's tree is so beautiful, you are a true talent !!

    Have a great weekend, kisses-

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing post...thank you for your nice comment on my blog...

    xxxxx

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely! shall we follow by facebook and bloglovin?
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loll!
    Christmas is usually the time most people gain back all the weight they spent the whole year trying to burn off.
    The food and drinks are quite tempting.
    Luckily for me I don't take alcohol (like ever! The taste, not so nice) , I don't attend Christmas parties (so no snacky temptation) and I spend the whole day cooking for my parents and siblings (when I'm done, my tummy would be filled with the food scents that there would be lil or no room for actual food).
    Loll.

    Those shoes are beautiful and shiny!
    I love shiny!
    Loll!

    Have an amazing Xmas holiday.
    Xoxo
    Portia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips!!! my g+ and like for your post, dear Colleen!!!
    ❊..(
    ✿.(,)
    ❊|::::|.☆¸.¤ª“˜¨
    ✿|::::|)/¸.¤ª“˜¨˜“¨
    ❊|::¸.¤ª“˜¨¨˜“¨
    ✿%¤ª“˜¨¨ᴳᴼᴼᴰ
    ❊#ª“˜¨ ᴺᴵᴳᴴᵀ﹗
    Feliz Navidad y Próspero Año Nuevo 2014!!!
    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. The way you're holding your shoes is exactly the way my sister holds her newborn son. Hahaha. Same here Colleen, got an ASOS box waiting to be unboxed under the tree. My drinking and eating begun over the weekend and will resume tomorrow night. Goodluck to me! Happy Christmas to you! And have a lovely week xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee hee, that's exactly how I treat my babies......I mean shoes xx

      Hope you had a lovely day x

      Delete
  12. I shall try to follow your excellent advice but I know there will be plenty of choclate treats. Tonight I'm catching up on my advent calendar - looking forward to opening four windows!! I see you have plenty of clementines under your lovely tree. They will be my healthy snack! Gorgeous shiny new shoes. Have a wonderful Christmas and thank you very much for all your comments during the year. I always appreciate your visits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Colleen, you have a wonderful tree and the Asos shoes are really pretty! And I like your outfit with the white sweater and the black pants.

    I think you tips are true and helpful. Normally I don´t gain weight during Christmas - maybe because I don´t drink alcohol and we move a lot outside during the holidays? But I don´t know what happens this year with my weight ;) Btw, I can´t believe that you have fear to gain weight as you are always so slim!

    Merry Christmas!

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    International giveaway for your good figure
    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those shoes!!!!!
    http://crystalcosmicchic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx