Friday, 13 December 2013

#SELFIE

Word of the year?


It's that time of year when all the nominations for best 'this' of the year and best 'that' of the year are announced. Most of you will have probably heard that the term ‘selfie’ has been named the word of 2013 by Oxford Dictionaries (with ‘twerk’ not coming far behind!).  Now The Guardian and The Telegraph broadsheet readers would be questioning why the world has become so ridiculous, whilst The Sun and, to some extent, The Daily Mail tabloid readers will be embracing the word by taking even more selfies – sorry for the generalisation, I’m just guessing this could potentially be the case. Being a reader of both types of newspaper essentially puts me in the middle of this dichotomy of opinion and this might explain my confusion about the role of self-portrait photographs.

In my view, it’s strange enough asking someone to take pictures of you just to post them on your blog, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, especially when you're not a model or promoting a brand, but selfies baffle me even more. Despite the fact that I myself engage in the blogger tradition of taking selfies - albeit clearly not limited to bloggers as shown in the photo below - I still don’t understand their purpose.

US President Barack Obama, UK Prime Minister David Cameron,
and Denmark's PM Helle Thorning-Schmidt taking a selfie at Nelson Mandela's memorial -  I won't say anymore about that contentious issue!

When I see someone taking a selfie, more often than not they are with a friend, family member or colleague, which begs the question, why search for a mirror or fiddle around trying to frame yourself in a self-portrait photo when you could just ask the person accompanying you to take a picture of you, if you are that desperate for a photo. I’m not knocking you folk that do this, because I’m guilty of it too. I’ll ask my friend to hold my shopping bags whilst I position my phone camera in the mirror, sometimes chopping off half my face in the photo just to be able to write the ubiquitous noun '#selfie' on Twitter or Instagram. It all sounds rather absurd, narcissistic and gratuitous, but it is almost becoming just as acceptable to do this as it is to take pictures of beautiful sites on holiday. Why do we do it? I’m afraid I don’t have the answer.

I also question whether there is an age limit for taking selfies; I’d be mortified and disturbed if I were to see my mum or worse still my grandma taking a selfie, whether they posted it publicly or not. I’m sorry to refer to Kim K for the third time in as many posts, but I’m using her to guide me on how old is too old because she’s around the same age as me; so, as long as she’s taking selfies, I've decided it’s acceptable for me to do so too.

There is definitely a place for selfies though:

1. If you literally are on your own and happen to stumble upon a full length mirror and you catch a glimpse of yourself looking trendy and chic, then it’s worth taking a selfie to post your 'Outfit Of The Day' on your preferred social media medium.

2. If you are in a fitting room and can’t decide which garment to buy, just try them all on and take a selfie of each one, post it and ask your loyal followers to choose for you.

3. You are out with you friend(s) and are too lazy or embarrassed to ask someone to take a group picture so you nominate one person to stretch their hand out with the phone to capture all of you, then simply post and tell everyone what a fabulous time you are having with all your mates.

4. If you are trying to lose weight or bulk up your biceps and triceps, selfies are a useful way to monitor your progress; you could keep a photo journal to help you visualise and track your transformation. I've even recommended it to one or two of my clients who hate having their picture taken by other people.

Anyway, I don't think I'm an avid selfie snapper and I have no excuse for the ones below apart from that it was a little bit of harmless, cheesy fun in hotel rooms and House of Fraser. 






Do you take selfies? If you’d like to see more of my selfie behaviours you can following sites - #selfie!

28 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen! Lol, have no answers too to the question. I am not a big selfie snapper as well, though sometimes I do, especially when I have to catch the make up I've done. Generally, I am shy to do it, the most of time I am alone and have no one who could kindly take a pic of me. But you know, I find the thing funny too..there is no age..at least I hope to not make it as granny!:P Looking gorgeous in all your selfies, you rock with that yellow dress! Have a great weekend dear, kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been fascinated by languages whether foreign or our own and it's interesting the way they evolve. I read that selfie had made it into the dictionary and hasn't the Barack Obama and friends selfie caused a stir! Your outfit in the last image is lovely. I definitely need a new camel coat and I know I've admired yours before. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whao! Loving all your selfie photos,They all look amazing!!!
    http://rock4less.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! your yellow dress is stunning!!
    Kisses
    Francy&Stef
    Chic With The Least
    Also on Facebook and on Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful looks!!! I love your yellow dress!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend, dear Colleen!! my g+ and like for you!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Colleen. i´m not such a big selfie snapper, because i have always a silly face at such a pictures. I don´t know why. ;) Sometimes i do this with friends just for fun.
    Your selfies are very good and i´m in love with these yellow dress. You look so beautyful.
    Have a nice weekende, Cla

    ReplyDelete
  7. II don't take selfie but that's bc I am a lazy cow.

    No but seriously I have seen especially the teenagers have no shame in taking selfie and aren't self conscious of it. Whereas I think when a fifty year old women takes selfie as I saw on the tube the other day then it looks odd. Not bc I am ageist bc I think she should know better. But I think selfie are useful to see a third view in an outfit bc the naked eye can't see things. It is a done thing in art and decorating and stylists used to do this before digital. But also there is a new etiquette to selfie don't you think. As with most things there is an elegant way and a tacky way. I like your selfies tho xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do agree with the development of etiquette when taking a selfie - I'm trying to go more in that direction rather than the 'teenager' direction x

      Delete
  8. Hi hun.. missed you! selfie is defiantly the word of the year! I don't take selfie.. I always look on them short, fat and ugly:) not like you looking fabulous rokin different styles and looking gooood!!!

    I think there is no age for that but there is age for good taste and the understanding what you should show to the world and what you should keep to yourself and your love one!!

    I adore that yellow dress! it's your color!!! you look absolutely divine in every snap and every outfit!!! you have an amazing sense of style!! cant wait to see more...

    Have a great weekend,

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that with age, you should consider how appropriate your selfies are!

      Delete
  9. First of all, you do well-composed selfies, and I think I've seen all of these ones! Hahaha. First read the word 'selfie' on Daily Mail. The article was talking about Kelly Brooks who's notorious for selfies (she does look great in most of them). Then the word became viral and now, as you say, it's an Oxford dictionary 2013 word! I don't take selfies just because I prefer to have someone take photos of me. I think I'll share via Instagram one of my favourite photos of myself taken by one of my favourite photographers when I was still working for a magazine. You can limit your audience now on Instagram. Whohoo! The very few selfies I took were with friends years ago and they never made it to any social media platforms just because they were taken before I signed up for facebook. I'm still not prepared to take selfies, but as my mantra in life is to try anything (i.e. what I can handle), I'll give it a shot one of these days. Have a lovely weekend my dear xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do it, do it, do it! I'll look out for your selfies and the photo taken of you from your magazine days - dont forget now.........x

      Delete
  10. Love your yellow dress, and that camel coat is perfection!
    I'm probably far too old for selfies, but I take them for my blog, as there's usually no one else to ask to take them.
    It is a strangely narcissistic phenomenon, though. I was far too modest and shy to have posted pics of myself anywhere as a teenager/young adult (plus there was no internet or social media!). I still struggle with it even now, as it does seem presumptuous to think that people are interested.... I feel this way about blogging too, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. You are not too old for selfies, well I don't know how old you are, but you certainly don't look too old. I believe you fall in to the category that Naomi was describing above - the 'new etiquette' selfies.

      Delete
  11. First, I really love that yellow dress you have on.

    I think selfies are a great way to document your style and improve on it if you don't have a blog but want to be aware of how you dress and how to improve on it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I´m smiling about myself as I never shot a selfie in my life! I´m the inpolite person who nerves her family members always with the question: "Do you have time to take some pictures of me and my outfit?" And I´m sure I wouldn´t be able to shot myself as cool as you do this! Btw the outfit with the cropped top and the denims is awesome!

    But thank you I know now on which occasions it is okay to make a selfie, thanks for that!

    I wish you a happy new week, dear Colleen <3

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    International giveaway for your good figure
    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rena - I'm sure you'd take a fabulous selfie

      Delete
  13. Ok, first off, I want your stomach! You're so fit, it's killing me... Very hot, babe. And you should definitely take all the selfies you want, the world can see more of you, no doubt.:) Your second selfie argument's very justified, I do that too, but I send them to a friend, I kind of feel weird posting selfies online. Whereas taking your pictures with a DSLR camera and a tripod is ok but that's kind of the same thing, isn't it? That's selfie on steroids.:D Are those double standards or are those two separate things??

    And YES, Micah is frigging HOT (she also has a killer stomach, just like you, by the way). Thanks for mentioning WWW, I didn't know about her, but I do know and follow Kayture, she's amazing. But she's the girl I was telling you about when you posted that 5 Inches and Up story, that she didn't answer your question, so I said I'm not going to promote her blog by mentioning or linking it - as if she needs any more promotion!:D

    Happy Monday, gorgeous!!;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm afraid I have to say those are double standards ha ha, but hey selfie with or without steroids, who cares!

      Yeah WWW has a softer, more friendly approach to the the others I think, but is pretty much just as successful in terms of brand promotion and readers. Aaah yes I can imagine Kayture being like that, but I guess as a 20 year old the success goes to your head!

      Dober dan

      Delete
    2. :) Dober dan?!?! You rule.:D

      Yeah, she's 'a baby'... But a very successful baby, so we should just stand back and learn from her, I guess.

      I just wanted to leave another link, I don't know if you already know her or not, but I think you might enjoy her style and photos. Karla's Closet

      Cheerio!;)

      Delete
  14. Hi Colleen.

    Very cool post, be honest I am not very fotogenic so I am not taking a lot of selfies...have a great week..

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes!
    You are the number one killer of black outfits I know. You always make black look damn good.
    But...
    Color looks awesome on you!
    That yellow dress is hot! Love!

    Regarding selfies, I think it takes talent to be able to take a good pic of yourself. I try to no avail. So I'm kinna handicapped in the sense that if there's no one around to take pics of my outfit, that's it, no pic.

    But there should be an age limit like u rightly said.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a very sweet evening babes,Sleep tight!!! Been here but found no new post,You such a darling.
    Heart you babes.

    Kisses...
    http://rock4less.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Friday dear Colleen! Kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I started using the word selfie, for sure, because that's what I have been doing. I do a lot of numbers 2 and 3, for sure. Why do I do a selfie if there are friends around? Because they don't like taking pictures; because I know I take a better picture and I position the camera in the right way to catch a touristic monument and myself; because I like to have the register of that, where I was, when, and how I looked in year 2009, for example. To compare in the future. Sadly, having said that, I am about to restrict my pictures on the blog, for the absolute lack of people to help me with pictures and I don't have a place for a full body selfie. At least for some months till I meet my family :) I loved your pictures! You know that you always look impeccable and beautiful! I loved the beige coat!!!! denisesplanet com

    ReplyDelete
  19. The yellow dress was made just for you and I do take selfies sometimes, it helps me access my outfit. Am a new blogger plss drop by to check out my blog. www.realcilverly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx