Sunday, May 25, 2014

ASPARAGUS

Taking advantage of their short season



I developed a sweet tooth from an early age, although I’m not sure whether I developed it through nature or nurture; my child-minder always had a pack of Skittles or Opal Fruits (now called Starburst) waiting for me on the kitchen table when I returned home from school, and my mother has had a sweet tooth for as long as I can remember.

One of the health implications of me having a sweet tooth, apart from the obvious affinity for chocolates and sweets, is that I’m not particularly fond of vegetables, though I love to gnaw my way through copious amounts of fruit which stave off my cravings for other sugary goodies. I eat vegetables because they are healthy, nutritious and contribute to my 5-7 portions a day, however I don’t believe in just ‘tolerating’ food if it doesn’t stimulate my taste buds or whet my appetite in some way, so every now and again (particularly when the weather is as dismal as it has been this weekend) I look for quick and easy opportunities to add a little bit of interest to the healthy foods I might otherwise avoid – this weekend I experimented with asparagus.

I was reading in a magazine recently that the spring vegetable, asparagus, has a very short season -  a mere 8 weeks from around mid-April to mid-June  - and given this year is whizzing by I decided to take advantage and see what all the fuss was about with this flowering perennial plant species, which I hadn't tried before now; after all it is high in dietary fibre and rich in vitamins and minerals, as most vegetables are, particularly folate which is important during the pre-conception stage – no, I myself am not trying for a baby!

After cooking the asparagus spears in boiling water for 3-5 minutes, heating a griddle pan with a tiny knob of butter, a splash of extra virgin olive oil and a drizzle of lemon juice to toast some almonds (blanched almonds are best) and sautee the asparagus, followed by transferring them to a plate where grated cheese was delicately sprinkled, I realised what the fuss was about. This asparagus dish was supposed to accompany my chicken dinner, but I ended up eating it as a starter/snack and was pleasantly surprised and impressed with how my palate took to it - nom nom nom!









Later x

Connect on Facebook  Twitter  Instagam

6 comments:

  1. yea dos nuts are mine.. i eat dem a lot
    my new post here
    http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/2014/05/kharkov-fashion-days-models-for-opapa.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen! I have a sweet tooth, too! But luckyly, Im fond of veggies and eat them a lot. Asparagus are one of my fav, Im glad you enjoyed them at the end, I usually eat them very plain, just oil and lemon or in the omelette, very yummy!:) Kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think part of its quality is the short season bc truth be told without the hollandaise i dont really go nuts over it - but your type of nuts in the example of almonds was interesting - i have never seen it in that combo. Now am curious and does seem like it might be a nice summer dinner with wine! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Colleen. Thank you for the recipe. I saw your pictures at instagram and was nosy about the recipe. Looks really yummy and of cause healthy. A great idea to take some almonds.
    Wish you a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, and the dish looks beautiful! Just like you, I hae the sweet tooth virus :) and I don't really dislike vegetables, it's just that between lettuce and chocolate, what wins? For me, chocolate, for sure! But, like you, I also try my best to add vegetables to my dishes. I love asparagus (I guess you saw some of my dishes), but I didn't know about all the good stuff about them, that you shared here. This dish looks good and delicious - I will include almonds next time! Thanks for the recipe! denisesplanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have probably realised from reading my blog that I have a sweet tooth. I don't really eat sweets as such (I remember opal fruits too!) it's more cakes and chocolate! I remember having to eat my veg as a child before being allowed my dessert. As for asparagus, for a long time I wasn't a fan but depending on how it's cooked I now enjoy it especially the baby asparagus. Thanks for the recipe which makes the asparagus more interesting (I love almonds) and the presentation makes it look so appetising too.

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx