Sunday, May 11, 2014

I'M BACK

With my tail between my legs

Okay, I’ll admit, I’m slightly embarrassed; I mean, look how long it has been. I have just noticed my last post was the 1 March and while that month was a bit of a busy feat, I have no valid excuse for my absence in April and the start of May. You've heard the old adage that it takes 21 days to create or break a habit, right? Well I’m blaming it on that (although I've never found out where that rule/theory originates): I got out of the habit of blogging and struggled to create a new habit of re-commencing the blog writing. Nonetheless, I’m here and you all have Marj at Chinwags and Tittle Tattles to thank for my impetus to enter the blogosphere again – the lovely lady herself tagged me to share some random facts about myself and I thought this would be an ideal time and topic to start with.

I’ll start with just 5 light-hearted facts, it seems unfair to expect you to read an assignment-length post on your first visit back to my blog.

1. I’m an Instagrammer

I can’t believe I took so long to join the other 200 million Instagram users. I love photography, people-watching, discovering new fashion finds and food recipes, and yearning after things on my ‘To Do’ and ‘To Buy’ lists; Instagram ticks all these boxes and I’m therefore beholden to my former neighbour who encouraged me, on a number of times, to become an 'Instagrammer'. If I’m not following you yet, let me know.

Apologies to those of you that follow me already and will undoubtedly have seen these snaps before, but here’s a little round-up of the last week's #foodie snaps.

Instagram


2. I’m a fashion victim



You learn something new about yourself on a regular basis and last week I self-proclaimed myself a fashion victim. Why else would someone see these shoes on other blogs/posts, ridicule them as being one of the ugliest fashion items of the summer and then purchase them, however cheap they are? I can only suggest that person is a fashion victim – that person is me, wearing the ugly shoes!



3. I bought my first salad two weeks ago

Yes I’m a nutritionist, yes I aim to eat as healthily as I can, but I usually refute the idea of buying a salad as my main meal when I go to a restaurant. I never understood why people would choose to pay for a salad, and they’re not cheap, as opposed to some satisfying starchy carbs or meaty proteins – perhaps they are saving the calories for dessert? Incidentally, two weeks ago I was invited to a vegan/vegetarian restaurant where I had my first, delicious might I add, five grain salad. This salad lark ‘aint  bad at all!



4. I wanted to be a dermatologist

Before deciding on a career as a nutritionist, I wanted to be a dermatologist. Occasionally, my peers at school would comment on how good my skin was and often ask what I use or do. There was no magic solution I could offer, I think in those days it was just good genes, but it did inspire my interest in skin health and beauty products. It was my mum who put me off the idea, explaining, in graphic detail, that it wasn't just about squeezing spots. Ironically, I rarely write/post beauty posts; this is my latest one. Apparently if you rub these ingredients on your face, your skin glows - go figure, but don't quote me on it; I'm not a dermatologist!



5. I've essentially grown up as an only child

My brother is autistic. Unfortunately he is probably as far along the autistic spectrum as you can go – very severe. Consequently he has spent the majority of his life (and my life) in residential schools and homes leaving me to grow up essentially as an only child. I’m sure some of you with siblings envy the idea of being an only child, but if I could change any one thing in the world it would be to have my brother in mind, body and soul.


That’s a bit of a sorrow note to end on isn't it, sorry…………… instead I’ll leave you with my latest must-have: the Sophie Hulme jacket, the perfect accompaniment to my Sophie Hulme bag!


Later, but not too much later I hope x

25 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Welcome Back Colleen! Im so glad to see a new post from you, I almost couldnt believe it!:) The idea of the tag is just perfect to get the chance to make again return on the blogosphere, have missed you!:) Oh, Im an instagrammer addicted too now! Cant believe I joined it only in Dec, wonder why too!:) Your profile is always very lovely! You definitely are a fashion victim! But those shoes look very cool on u, Im so surprised!:) I didnt know you wanted to be a dermatologist, I love more your current job though. So sorry for ur brother..must be and have been not easy at all.
    The jacket rocks!:) Wish u a lovely week dear, many kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay babes apologies accepted. So -so happy you are back.Sometimes i do feel this way,almost didn't feel like doing any post lately but i felt like i needed to keep going. Am def trying that smoothie,love love your shopping,those flats and denim are damn... way too cool plus you look super stunning!!!Anything natural count me in,so am giving your beauty treatment a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, thanks for accepting my apology. You'll have to let me know the outcome of the beauty treatment x

      Delete
  3. Hi Colleen.

    I am glad that you are back, and please do not fell embarrassed, everyone deserve the break....

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Thank you for doing the Random Facts Tag--at least 5 of them for now :) I must say that I adore you even more for admitting that you're a fashion victim! Hahaha. Not that I think you are, but most people won't. The rest would prefer to label themselves fashion forward. I don't see anything fashion forward about being trendy. But anyway, hurrah to the fashion victim in you! Hahaha. You look great anyway, so I don't have a problem with that. Please get the leather jacket if you haven't :) The lemons and tomatoes I would eat rather than rub on my face. Haha. I was touched by your story about your brother. Bless him. And bless you. I hope that you see him sometimes? It's always great to learn more about someone you like, even from a distance. Again, welcome back and more from you soon!

    Marj x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marj.

      I think eating the face mask is probably a safe bet lol

      We see my brother every week/fortnightly - he doesn't live too far away and now my dad is retired he can see him more often x

      Delete
  5. Dear Colleen,
    glad to have you back in the blogger universe. Maybe you need the break, because now you have you old power for blogging back. The facts about you are interesting. I think dermatologist fits you perfect.

    I always enjoy your great pictures at instagram. Instagram is much fun and i like it too. And i saw this fantastic jacket at your instagram profile, so cool....
    I hope i will read more about you in the next time. Welcome back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by and you kind words hun x

      Delete
  6. God, that last fact ... It brought tears to my eyes. I've had my fair share of arguing with my older brother but if I didn't have it ... It would kill me. I'm sure you've had to be a strong family because of it. And strong individuals. But anyway, YAY, you're back!!! I saw that Miss CaTT tagged you and I was waiting for you to do the tag and here you are. I'm glad you shared these facts because I agree with you seven billion million percent - why would anyone order a salad?! Come on, you can eat that at home, order something you don't know how to make or you're to lazy to, have some sense.:) And there are TWO HUNDRED MILLION people on Instagram?!?!?! Pardon my French but FUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaaw don't waste your tears babes. he's okay and seems happy - it's me that's not happy.

      I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that about the salad hee hee.

      Maybe I've inspired you to be 200 million and one? x

      Delete
    2. Although you're very convincing and you make a strong case — no.:P

      Happy Wednesday, babe!
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Firstly, I'm absolutely delighted to see you back here blogging! I've missed all your lovely, varied posts so welcome back and this is an opportunity to thank you for all your comments too. You know I always appreciate your thoughts. I love the food images and I'd be happy to eat all of these! I know what you mean about buying salads in restaurants too. It must have been difficult for you growing up and not having your brother at home and I'm pleased you ended on a happier note with your stylish new jacket. You may have noticed that I was also tagged and I'm sure that eventually I shall write down a few random facts (I'm still thinking!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss B and I look forward to finding out a little more about you too x

      Delete
  8. Hello dearest Colleenn, how wonderful that you are back and I thank you so much that you in the meantime took your precious time to comment so often on my blog :) I'm so sorry that your brother is an autist. I can imagine that this is both hard for the partents and the siblings, too ...

    And yes, I'm also a fashion victim because I own similar shoes you show here and I must admit that I really love the look you wear with your shoes!

    Wish you a happy rest of the week and may the dream of the jacket comes true for you very soon!

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha fashion victims unite. I look forward to seeing your shoes x

      Delete
  9. Welcome back, Colleen! We all need a little break now and then but it's true, once you're out of the habit of something it can be hard to get back into it. It's been lovely to follow along with your adventures on instagram, though, and all of your healthy food photos have made me think quite seriously about the fact that I should probably be eating cleaner ;) I hope that beautiful leather jacket comes into your life soon... since you're back to blogging, I'm looking forward to seeing how you style it!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the foodie photos help somewhat, that's lovely of you to say. Fingers crossed for the jacket - haven't found it yet! x

      Delete
  10. I do miss your posts and this made me realize it that much more although I enjoy your instagram and having been busy recently I do realize how much easier it is to instagram things than blog it...

    I wish there was more research about autism and hope that there is something to manage the condition and cure it even...Certain diseases affects not only the person afflicted but family and friends. Thanks for sharing all different sorts of things about you Colleen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and thank you for your kind words and for popping by after so long x

      Delete
  11. Oh, guess what? My last post was on March 31st and then last Monday I restarted again! So, welcome back! First of all, the shoes... well, many people like, but I thik you did a great job - paired with red trousers the whole outfit looks beautiful - with the shoes too! As for salad, I always had the same opinion :) But as a vegetarian, there's not much choice for me in some restaurants, so I have to order salads. I know what you mean by being asked about skin - I never had problems and people ask me too "what do you do?" In my case, I say, genes and drink a lot of water - and I avoid sun... I don't really like it - people say I'm crazy! As for your brother, I hope he in good loving care at the residential homes. I have two brothers and I can't think my life without them, but my mum has no siblings and always said she didn't want to be an only child... so I suppose I understand you a bit. Hope you buy that jacket! denisesplanet com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Denise. I'm glad i'm not alone with the lack of blogging and the salad ha ha. Thank you for your kind words about my brother x

      Delete
  12. OMG! It looks so delicious:)

    theprintedsea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful photos and fun facts! haha I can not believe that you ordered your first salad just recently! Also, what is your instagram handle!? I'd love to follow you!
    And mm that jacket looks beautiful :) (like you!)

    <(') Hoda || JooJoo Azad ~ Free Bird

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx