Sunday, 29 June 2014

I'M A DOMESTIC GODDESS

Well trying to be



People often assume that because I’m a nutritionist and foodie I like to spend most of my time in the kitchen utilising my culinary skills, standing over a hot stove and baking healthy, nutritious treats, but I’m not a chef; I don’t love cooking and baking, and the thought of hosting a gourmet dinner party for a group of friends or family unnerves me, however I do like to eat healthy, unprocessed food and this often requires me to opt for home-cooked meals or be really savvy when eating out.

Okay, so in my last paragraph I said I don’t ‘love’ cooking, this is not to say I hate it, I don’t mind it at all, it’s just I wouldn't call it a hobby or pastime, more of a necessity to achieve my health goals. Consequently, when I am cooking, particularly from a recipe, I choose healthy meals/foods that I can cook easily and quickly. If a recipe has a lengthy list of ingredients (especially ingredients that I do not commonly use) or fiddly step by step instructions, I avoid making that dish.

Weekend mornings are the time when I tend to experiment with different healthy, foodie ideas and I recently bought the ‘Eat Your Way to Lower Cholesterol’ cook-book to discover some new and tasty dishes. I don’t have high cholesterol, but I like how simple but nutritious the recipes are. One of the dishes I’m really enjoying at the moment is eggs with spicy tomatoes and beans. It’s a versatile dish that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner; it’s low in fat, sugar and salt, and it is high in fibre and protein which helps to keep you feeling fuller for longer, and best of all it’s quick and easy to make. 



I didn't strictly follow the recipe because I don’t like hot, peppery, chilli dishes so I just omitted the spicy ingredients, and I wanted to use foods that I already had in my cupboard.

INGREDIENTS
2 eggs
Half tin of beans
Half tin of butter beans (in water, not sugar or salt)
Onion
Tomatoes
Tomato puree
Virgin olive oil
Paprika
Basil or parsley for
(for spice you could add chilli and peppers)

INSTRUCTIONS
-Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onions for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and paprika and continue to fry for a further 2 minutes until softened.

-Stir in the beans and butter beans until hot, and then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes stirring regularly and allowing the tomato and bean mixture to reduce.

-Crack the eggs directly on to the tomato and beans mixture and leave to cook until the egg whites are firm. I prefer my yolk to be firm too so I tend to cook it a little bit longer.

-Garnish with basil or parsley and serve immediately.

-Lick your lips, give yourself a pat on the back - feel full (and smug) till your next planned meal!








More foodie picks on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook

Later x

9 comments:

  1. Hello dear Colleen, I understand you! With my profession it's the same: although I'm working as a purchaser I don't like it to do the normal shopping stuff in my private life, fortunately my husband has chosen this jobs for his responsibility. I like only doing online shopping for clothes, shoes and accessoieres ;) The recipe you show here sounds yummy and the best thing is it looks so easy!

    Wish you a happy and successful new week ahead.

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm Colleen, I think that even though you said so, you have the "gift" of the chef!:P For sure, I will give it a try as I love beans and also love to find and discover new healthy dishes, plus it also lowers cholesterol!:P I need that book as well!:) Many kisses and have a wonderful week ahead! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious, Colleen! Thanks fr that recipe - as a vegetarian, I loved it! I'll prepare it for sure! I think you are so right - in order to eat what we really want, we have to cook sometimes. For me it's quite difficult to go to restaurants, cause normally they don't have many options to a vegetarian and fussy eater :) But this recipe now is a win-win one for me :) denisesplanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cook every day for me and my daughter. But the last time i have no motivation and ideas for cooking. And my daughter is no help. If i ask her what she likes eat, she leaves me alone and day ... what ever you want.
    So i´m thankful for your recipes and for sure i will try it.
    Have a great week, dear Colleen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always pique my taste buds with images of all these yummy goodness u post on IG!
    Love!
    This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness - I must say, I always enjoy seeing your food snapshots on instagram but this dish has taken it to a whole new level. The end result looks amazing (and I don't even really care for eggs, so that's saying something!) When it comes to cooking, I'm afraid I only get involved in the kitchen when it's absolutely neccessary. I don't enjoy it and since my husband is a chef, I have an excuse to escape most of the cooking duties, luckily!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is looks delicious...I will make it...have a great day...

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly what you mean about recipes with a long list of ingredients - I'm put off by that too. In the past I would sometimes go out to buy all the unusual spices for one particular dish and they would not be used again (and then go out of date!!) Your dish looks and sounds so appetising and is ideal for a midweek meal. I'm always on the look-out for new healthy meals - thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi beautiful,
    I was just browsing through & stumbled upon your lovely blog - It looks gorgeous and it has interesting posts that I can relate to, I’ll come back for sure.
    Would you like to follow each other on GFC and other social media?
    Let me know and let’s keep in touch love <3
    http://xoxocitygirl.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx