Monday, 16 June 2014

NutriShion

A new business name




If you follow me on Twitter, you will have possibly noticed that I have changed my business name from Forcailini Nutritional Styling to NutriShion. Most of you will know that I run a nutrition consultancy and because of my penchant for shopping and fashion I decided to incorporate a complementary personal styling/shopping service as well – the business slogan being ‘Look First-rate, Feel Great!’.

I started out only providing nutrition services for women, and thus I felt the name Forcailini (see last paragraph of the About page here for the meaning if you don't know already) had an appropriate fit, however, over time I introduced the fashion side of the business (personal styling/shopping) and also started providing nutrition advice to men, so I decided to change the name to something that more closely reflected my clientèle: NutriShion, which, if you haven’t worked it out already, is an amalgamation of the words nutrition and fashion.

I toyed with the idea of changing my blog name and Instagram account, but with further consideration I decided I did not want to part with my Forcailini brand and actually saw this as a nice opportunity to separate aspects of my business from the personal activities I do as a pastime. You never know, you might now see a few more risqué snaps on the blog and Instagram -  *wink* (don’t get too excited, I’m joking…….I think?).

The reason for this blog post was not actually to promote my business, but to put down in writing something I was thinking about over the weekend. I attended the Blognix event in Birmingham, which is a blogging conference that enables attendees to learn more about blogging, connect with other bloggers and be inspired by other bloggers' stories. I attended chiefly because it was a national blogging conference based in Birmingham - that’s rare……. so I wanted to show my support, and of course I always appreciate a new piece of wisdom, particularly with things I’m involved in.


Blognix was a great event, but what captivated me was the focus on making money from your blog: being able to go freelance; monetising your blog; negotiating brand collaborations; and even doing tax returns for your blog were the main themes of the day. I've never really looked at my blog as a potential money-making machine, I've always just relied on my 9-5 work to pay the bills and buy myself some of life’s little luxuries, but I was quite surprised and inspired to hear just how many people make a living from their blog. I think I've perhaps been a little ignorant as I assumed it was only a select few, the fash-pack, the super-bloggers, the 500,000 hits a month folk who ran successful blogging businesses. It has left me questioning though the real purpose of blogging: what do people get out of it if they are not making money; is your goal to profit from your blog; and what really determines the success of a blog?

Below is one of the worksheets from a workshop I attended -  I found it quite thought provoking. Perhaps you could note down a few aspects of your reader profile in the comments section; I'd love to read them.



Later x

15 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen! First of all, I agree and like your idea to change the Twitter name making more for your business and separating from IG and the blogging itself, love also what the name meant as well as the name of your blog. I think you could keep it for it in fact. And regarding the conference, you did right to partecipate, that kind of events are much interesting and inspiring. You know, I blog for passion as my blog is about what I love most but Id love if I could monetize too..though I know is a very hard thing! Regarding the questions my readers are fashion girls who share my same interests and who have themselves a blog, so is more like a friends connection, at least for me. Have a lovely week ahead! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words about the business name. I think it's lovely that blogging helps form friendship connections - that's definitely one of the perks for me too. x

      Delete
  2. I love the name: NutriShion! So very you :) And it's admirable that you're looking into earning from your blog. Should be the case when you know and feel there's a potential. It would be great to leave a 9-to-5 job doing something you love. So I wish you all the best! I'm just here to support you. Have a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh noo I wasn't saying that I was looking to earn money from my blog, I was just saying I was surprised how many people made a living from their blog and was just wondering what other people's motives were for blogging. I'm happy plodding along with NutriShion ha ha. Anyway glad you like the new business name xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Colleen.

    You have wrote such interesting post. As part-time blogger I am always puzzled how many bloggers are making money from theirs blogs and I am struggling to direct traffic to my blog. I have 9-5 job and it would be scary to leave it and reliable just on blogging.I would like to do something what I love but "girl needs to eat".

    Have a great week...

    Lubica

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha "girl needs to eat" love it and so true. I agree it must be scary to leave the security of a day job for a blogging job.

      Delete
  4. It's a pity you couldn't sneak in nutri-shoe-in somehow. That would be really you hehe! but seriously great name. I also find it odd and intriguing how some people make money - some I get it and see it but others I am flabbergasted but then again I know nothing about that side of things. I don't know exactly why I blog but I find it interesting and it surprises me that i still learn something every few weeks whether it is a technical thing or something that arises from it. Ironically I think when people do make money from their blog in most cases it loses its appeal bc now they have to start kissing butt so it is a balance act. I could see you making money from your blog if you chose to - maybe not the main income but a supplementary if you chose to. you should consider it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee hee "nutri-shoe-in" I know, I know. Yeah I agree I have that same confusion over how some blogs make money, it's quite obvious in some cases, but others......... Love that you're still learning, me too!
      Thanks for your kind words hun - I don't like the idea of kissing butt but never say never LOL, we shall see x

      Delete
  5. Hello,

    Great ! :D

    Sarah, http://sarahmodeee.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Colleen. it´s a great idea to change the name for your business. I love the thoughts behind the name. I blog for passion, but it´s not bad to make some extra money. I´m sure you will go your way and i wish you good luck.
    Have a great week. Cla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can make money from your passion, that's the ultimate win! Thanks Cla

      Delete
  7. Firstly, I think your Nutrishion logo is really eye-catching in green and pink with the apple and shoe. This was such a thought-provoking post and attending the conference sounds like it was time well spent as you came away with new ideas. As for blogging, I enjoy learning about the technical side of things (even if it can be frustrating when it doesn't work properly!) but more importantly, I like to connect with like minded people from the UK and all over the world. I've learnt so much not just about new trends in fashion and beauty but about different cultures and cuisines. Of course receiving comments makes the writing of posts worthwhile and so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to your business and all developments - so proud of you, my dear!! Good luck for the future and all your projects! - Liebe Grüße aus Wien,

    Katja

    www.collectedbykatja.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Colleen, your new concept including the new name sounds very convincing and I wish you the success you deserve - namely as much as you are able to manage! I think a new name gives a project new energy and now I'm looking forward to the development of your new business. And I'm curious what you will post now on your blog - as this is now a more private space than before :)

    Happy new week!

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have been thinking about that myself - with it being my private space now. Thank you x

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx