Sunday, 13 July 2014

THE SUITCASE EDIT

The items that didn't make it

Lake Como, Italy




There is one stage in the whole holiday preparation process that I’d love to just completely delete: packing! I get excited when I book the holiday and I enjoy buying new things in advance of it, but I loathe deciding what to pack because there is always that anxiety of packing too much and exceeding the baggage allowance restriction, coupled with trying to decipher whether I will miss not having a particular item of clothing or accessory if I choose not to pack it.

Some of you will know that I took a short break to Lake Como last week. I was adamant that I didn't want to pay Flybe any additional fees to transport my luggage - I'm way too frugal for that, and I also wanted to keep my luggage with me in the plane's cabin rather than place it in the hold; the implication of this, however, was I had to take my smallest suitcase and thus be very selective with what I packed; cue the suitcase edit. Two of my most recent purchases did not make the suitcase edit - my Kurt Geiger heels and my Mulberry Lily. These 5-inch heels and tiny bag were just too impractical for a Lake Como vacay; I knew there would be a lot of walking and long days doing what tourists do, so what would be the point in having them unnecessarily occupy space in an already protuberant suitcase.

There is one other thing I try to avoid wearing when I’m abroad, especially if the temperature is tropical, and that’s black clothing. Can you see the theme of this week’s ‘photo shoot’?

What are your holiday packing strategies, if any?





Later x

17 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen! Hope you had a great time at the Lake Como, its a gorgeous place! I get u very well as far as I do love travel, I totally hate packing. Love to travel light though so Im very careful and tend to avoid useless items..lol heels and mini bag shouldnt be the best choice indeed!:P But you look super smashing in total black and your new treasures are just to die for!:) Have a great week! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both hate packing then ha ha x

      Delete
  2. Don't worry babes, Lily and KG will definitely go on holidays with you somewhere else :) You look great as usual! I'm anal so I have an Excel spreadsheet (I know, serial killer!). I divide it according to the days I'll be away then the headings are top, bottom, shoes, accessories, bag...even underwear. Hahaha. This way, I know which is repeated, so I can combine certain looks. I know, I'm crazy. I also check the weather so I have a back-up. And of course, due my short-haul trips disaster history, I try to be prepared! Haha. Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh forgive me, I'm chuckling. I love it - an excel spreadsheet. I try to avoid spreadsheets as much as I can for work, let alone packing lol. I think that's so cool though. You so need to do a post showing how you prepare for your holidays x

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen,
    traveling light is very important for my, i hate heavy bags and suitcase. So i take one or two shoes for 5 outfits. And for skincare i take little sample of my favorite products.
    You look great in your outfit and the killer heels are to die for. Lake Como is a beautiful place, i´m sure you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there hun.. just saw your comment :) I did take some breaking from blogging.. and hope to come back posting soon. you look absolutely amazing! your new shoes and that little gem are so perfect!
    Hope you had a fabulous time !!! you deserve it!

    kisses,

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear - enjoy the break x

      Delete
  5. Lovely pictures! I must add Lake Como to my travel wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang on...a whole week?? Wtf! Did u just walk around in a bikini?! I got hipped on easy jet bc I forgot they charge for luggage so got done 60 quid! Argh...x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always look stunning. Great pairing with those awesome heels and bag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look stunning...I hope you had a great time...

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Colleen, I got here from the lovely Lilli's blog. Lake Como looks absolutely picturesque and you look amazing in the black getup with the heels and sling which could not make it to the suitcase. I detest packing too. I could never pack half as well as my hubby. Often, he would ask me to put all the stuff which I want to bring for the trip out and he would help me to squeeze them ever so neatly into the luggage. I hope you had a great time by the lake!

    Jo
    Jo's Jumbled Jardinière

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog Jo. I did have a great time in Como and lucky you having the clever-packer hubby ha.

      Delete
  10. I hate packing too or rather deciding what not to take. Even though I travel often, I still take far too much (especially shoes!) A shame you had to leave behind those glamorous heels and your lovely Lily bag but you were very sensible. Lake Como looks so picturesque. I think I was about twelve when we went so I can't really remember too much (!) but would love to return sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi dear Colleen, unfortunately I haven't really any working strategy for packing ... I think this is also a reason why we almost had excess baggage in our actual vacation :) At least I discovered to pack in similar colours to enable to combine this colours together, but I know I have still much to learn regarding packing ...
    You look elegant and stylish in your look, I hope you enjoyed the time at the Lago di Como! Wish you a wonderful start into the new week <3

    xx from Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx