Thursday, August 21, 2014

THE DAY AFTER THE WEEK BEFORE

The recovery process











Okay, so that’s enough of the cheery Kodak moments from my latest cruise venture across the Mediterranean, courtesy of Royal Caribbean. This post is all about the day after the week before – what I do to recover from my trip before the holiday blues kick in.

Despite exultantly voyaging from city to city in the environs of a well catered cruise ship, by the time I return home I feel like booking myself in for a spa weekend to relax. You see, I’m not a beach bum (nor babe) so lying on a beach day after day doesn't really appeal to me; I like to get out there and be a full on tourist exploring what new places have to offer. The downside of this is that it well and truly wears you out, especially in temperatures exceeding 30 degrees.

I love going on vacation, but in the words of Dorothy, there really is ‘no place like home’, and once I've endured a 9 hour recovery sleep in the comfort and familiarity of my own bed and home, the next day I wake up with a vengeance to get back on track physically, mentally and emotionally – almost like a 12-24 hour detox.

I don’t work out as often or as intensely as I should while on holiday so one of the first things I do is get myself on the treadmill and do some toning exercises in the garden.

My skin feels fabulous when I’m basking in the sunshine abroad, but by the time I exit Birmingham airport it feels dry and ashy so I always like to indulge in exfoliating and moisturising my face and body the day after I return.


 Although I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables on holiday, particularly because they are refreshing and hydrating, I make a conscious effort to incorporate lots of fruit and vegetables as soon as I get back from my trip.

 I do miss home-cooking when I’m away so I peruse my cookery books for inspiration for the week ahead.

 I slurp down litres of lemon and mint water throughout the day to take my mind off all those cocktails and contribute to my 'detox'.

Mid-afternoon, I like to take a seat in the garden (weather permitting) to relax and casually catch up on social media and emails, without extortionate roaming charges! I also like to reminisce on my holiday adventures by flicking through my Kodak moments.

                                           
How do you like to recover from a holiday?

Later x


15 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen! Ive followed your dreamy cruise on IG and the one thing I can say is just WOW!:) Im glad you had an amazing time and I see you visited many gorgeous places! As u, I prefer to get out and explore what the new places have to offer. Im as you once back from holiday, try to work out move, eat healthier and more fruit/veggies and take care of my skin which always needs some extra treatments. The last photo of you is fantastic, you have such an amazing smile!:) Have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Colleen, i saw the prictures of your trip at instram and was a little bit jealous. ;) I´m sure, such a trip is so much fun and very interesting to see all these great places. After vacation my hair and skin need some vacation too and i take care of them a little bit more.
    Have a nice weekend, dear Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes hair and skin tend to most affected don't they.

      Delete
  3. Super cool photos!! ! :)
    I see... I need holidays, too :D
    xoxo from Munich

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went on a cruise once and loved it! Looks like you had a great time. I like holidays obviously but don't like short breaks bc they tire me out and are rarely worth going away ruining a routine as one gets older. But I must say that just puttering around the house is a great way to get back into the transitional phase to real life which is ultimately a very comfy place right? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit I was intrigued by the title! Firstly, you took some stunning and varied photos and the cruise gave you the opportunity to experience so many wonderful places. There are times when I like to relax by a pool with a good book or magazine but you will have noticed from my blog that I like to see all the sights too and it can be exhausting in the heat. I like all your post holiday tips. Plenty of sleep and then getting back to my aerobics or Zumba class is always a good way to recover.
    PS The last photo is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, you visit some amazing places, it would be a shame for you to spend all your time gazing at sea and sand.

      Delete
  6. Like you I love it after the holiday to cook as I miss mostly my home cooked stuff really much. Further I enjoy our children, the house, the cats and the complete environment - not only as I normally like it much more to be home than on holiday ;) Nevertheless you shared wonderful pictures and it looks like you had not only a good time back at home but also on your vacation.

    Happy new week dear Colleen!

    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine it must be very different when you have children and pets, both of which I don't have x

      Delete
  7. Oh my, why didn't we see each other in Pisa?!? I was there too and I must say your photo of the bloody leaning tower is better than mine! Haha. I love your Nike's! Like you, I'm not a beach babe, so I can't have a 7-day beach holiday. 3 days max, and sometimes I don't even need it coz I get my desired tan in half a day (sorry, gloating). I love cultural holidays (as you know). Now that we're all back to our beautiful UK weather, my goal is to get back into shape. No more bratwurst, currywurst, gelato, capricciosa, and beer. Haha. Glad you enjoyed your break! Have a lovely week xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, can you imagine bumping in to each other in Pisa - that would have been hilarious, in fact I would have probably walked past you in disbelief ha ha xx

      Delete
  8. Although I have seen some of your pictures on facebook, it's much better reading the story here! You know that from time to time I vanish, and then I come back! I loved the pictures now, and just like you, I am not a beach person - I mean, I looove beaches, but I don't stay under the sun. I also love to walk and explore a place. What I do to recover is simple - I just sleep many hour a day for a week :) that's the best I can do. After a week I feel like a bear and leave my hibernation :) I'm about to d that again soon! denisesplanet.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx