Sunday, September 28, 2014

FASHION AND HEALTH

Let's compromise









This week I visited the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, which does exactly what it says on the tin: it houses a collection of fine art, ceramics, metalwork, jewellery, archaeology, ethnography, local history and industrial history; it is situated in the town centre in Chamberlain Square and is free to enter.

Whilst wandering around the museum, I stumbled upon some history of fashion from the Victorian era, as you perhaps would expect to in a museum. It was quite nostalgic actually, not because I lived in the Victorian era of course, but because I suddenly found myself reflecting back to dressing up in similar attire during a few of my history lessons at school -  those were the days.


After engaging in some ruminant thought about how times have changed, my eyes caught the word ‘health’ at the information point; it was describing how looking good in Victorian times could seriously damage your health because the corsets that women wore compressed the ribcage and made it difficult to breathe and digest food. The sign then asked visitors to think about the ways in which we still harm our health for the sake of fashion; images of certain supermodels might spring to mind but I immediately looked down at my feet and discerningly thought about all the uncomfortable shoes that resided in my closet. That day I was wearing flats, but there have been many occasions where my feet and legs have been sore and my back has ached as a result of wearing inappropriate shoes, all for the sake of personal style and fashion! Here’s a selection of a few of the culprits. Despite the discomfort they cause, I still adore them and I'm proud to have them as part of my shoe collection.

For more information on how heels can affect your body/health click here.

These wedges are not forgiving - my calves after wearing them for too long.......ouch!

My little toe and the ball of my feet suffer if I try to walk for any length of time in these bad boys

So cute on, but oooh do they give me backache if I don't sit down regularly

These become a little tight after a while, I think my feet swell because they are so enclosed. I need to massage my feet after taking these pretty little things off

I can even feel myself walking hunched over in these -  so bad for my posture

Thank goodness for my Tods flats 
How many pairs of shoes give you discomfort and grief?

Later x

14 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen! The exhibit must be so interesting, did you really dress up like Victorian era during history lessons when you were at school?! So cool! Here we never had a similar thing! Btw, that healthy reminder is true, I remember a documentary on TV in which they were talking about the same problems in that time, which is still common nowadays as I see all the shoes you own! Lol, you made me smile when you wrote that, though the ache, you are still happy to have them! I cant blame, they are FANTASTIC!!! I didnt wear heels as before, I suffer so much and I cant resist for more that a couple of hours!:/ Have a lovely week, many hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we got to dress up in outfits relevant to the lesson. It made history so much fun; only a few lessons though x

      Delete
  2. I must be the only girl in the world but flats hurt me - heels I'm fine in! All through the summer I wear 3-4" wegdes - the most comfy shoes & I have them in every colour. On the odd occasion I wear flats - when rain threatens & I don't want to wreck my wedges - the muscles in my backside hurt! Can't wear them for more than a few hours! Come winter I'm mostly in my beloved boots of all heel sizes - I find boots much comfier than shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo, I've heard that before about flats being uncomfortable, especially if you have flat feet; a lot of people report to need a bit of a heel, but I think mine are probably just a little too high. I have some very comfy wedges that I'm still wearing now.

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen, Such a Museum must be very interesting. I think the fashion of the area was very fantastic, but for sure was it not healthy, The corsets of today are highheels. I love highheels, but my feet wants more and more flats and i listen to my feet. Sometimes ;;;;)))
    I live your shoes. Have a nice week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree: the corsets of today are high heels

      Delete
  4. Dear Colleen, I can imagine that this museum brought you to think ... the corsets were indeed a torture for each women who has worn them. I have to admit that I really like the shoes you show here, what a pity that they are not comfy enough. Fortunately most of my shoes are comfy, even if they have heels. There are only a few pairs in my closet which I can only use as decoration for my feet but not for walking :)

    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena

    International giveaway: Top form by the reasons of problems
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha 'decoration for my feet' - love it!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I have not only decoration for my feet, my husband calls also his shirts like this if they are very thin and not warm as "decoration shirts" :) Hope you enjoyed the weekend! Rena x

      Delete
  5. Firstly, what a beautiful building! I enjoy wandering around museums especially if there happens to be a fashion section. It's difficult to imagine how heavy and uncomfortable the Victorian dresses must have been. I'm guilty of wearing shoes which I know are not good for me! I have a pair of Lulu Guiness heels which I bought a few years ago and which I shall keep forever. On the insole there's a quote, 'We suffer to be beautiful' which always makes me smile! You have a lovely varied selection of shoes here - a pair for every occasion. I just clicked on the link - interesting to see that generally heels are not worn as much as in the 80s. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Lulu Guiness quote - it made me smile too. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  6. Art steps in when nature fails. I immediately thought of cosmetic surgery. As for corsets, shall we say that the tighest spanx are the equivalent? Can't wear them or too skinny (first of all, I'm not skinny) jeans--I suffer indigestion and trapped wind. I have quite a number of uncomfortable shoes, but it's very rare now that I wear them. I suffer all the pain you mentioned. If I do wear them, it's because I'd be sitting in the car, getting off it, walk from the parking lot to the venue and back. My collection of funky and chic trainers is growing. I tend to wear them more nowadays. Sometimes though, we need high heels to give justice to what we wear, and our hair, and makeup. Really liked this post! Have a good day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I call them date-night shoes where I'm just walking in between the car and venue. I need to get me some funky and chic trainers though, and yes get rid of a few pairs of skinnies because they're another pain in the #$€¥% x

      Delete
  7. GREAT post as always :) Have you had a lovely autumn so far ?? here in Gothenburg its sunny and warm like its summertime again

    Check out my new post ...Sexy classy bedroom inspiration :)

    have a fab week dear

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - inredning it's, Swedish for decor :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx