Sunday, September 21, 2014

FRUIT CRUMBLE

The nutritionist's way





It’s commonplace to have my weight management clients disclose to me their food vices: bread, potatoes, crisps and chocolate to name a few of the more common ones. Some of my clients are shocked to hear that I, as a nutritionist, have some of these food vices as well; mine are of the sweet kind with chocolate, sour sweets (think Haribos) and desserts being my biggest weakness. I deal with them by following an 80/20 dietary regime, which involves eating/drinking ‘healthily’ 80% of the time and ‘treating’ my palate to the less healthy food 20% of the time; I often suggest it’s okay to occasionally indulge your guilty food pleasures because denying yourself them could potentially lead to overeating.

This weekend I decided to make a dessert that would fit into my 80% regime: fruit crumble which traditionally, with its buttery, sugary and white flour-base crumble, would feature in the 20% regime. I decided to make the crumble with whole-grain oats, nuts, almond butter and a sugar substitute made from 100% fruit, and I used a combination of mixed berries and apple for the fruit base which are naturally sweet. This is not necessarily low calorie, but the ingredients I used turn the crumble into a dessert that is rich in whole-grains (oats), healthy fats (nuts, almond butter, rapeseed oil) and low in refined sugar.

Do you have any food vices? What is your favourite dessert?

Ingredients:
1 apple (Granny Smith or a cooking apple)
1 handful of mixed berries
3oz of rolled oats
2oz mixed nuts
1 heaped tbsp of almond butter
2 tbsp of rapeseed oil
1 tbsp Sweet Freedom sweetener





INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Throw some mixed berries and a chopped skinless apple (I didn't have a cooking apple to hand) into a saucepan and heat gently with 15mls of water to soften the fruit.
  2. Blend the rolled oats, nuts, oil, almond butter and Sweet Freedom in a blender until crumbly. Add more oil/butter if it is a little too dry
  3. Spoon the fruit into an oven-proof dish and add the crumble topping
  4. Bake for 20 minutes on gas mark 4 and voila!
  5. I made a simple home-made vanilla sauce using cornflour, Sweet Freedom, vanilla essence and milk.







Later x

5 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen! Oh, I have many food vices, unfortunately! Im a foodie and greedy, I indulge in them as I agree with you, denying them would mean overeating them. Chocolate, pizza and fries are just some of my "sins" just to list some :) Btw, your fruit crumble looks very yummy, I think your version is healthier and tastier, definitely I need to try it!:) I love when you share recipe Colleen, thats for sure one of my fav thing of you! Have a great week, many hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will know from my blog that I have many food vices. Desserts, chocolate, cupcakes in particular but I do try to balance my love of sweet things with healthier foods and I enjoy eating plenty of fish and salad. Our home-made plum crumble last week was the more traditional variety but I shall definitely try your healthier version as it looks so appetising and I'm sure it was delicious. You captured it so well in your lovely photos too. Have a great week and thanks for your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Crumbles but never try a healthy one. I have so many food vices, i love sweets. But i try to eat healhy too.

    I thank you for the recipe. You can be sure i will try it. The fruit crumble looks very yummy.
    Have a great week, Cla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it looks delicious. I love healthy food, but indulge myself in some vices too: chocolate, pizza...in the weekend. I think it's important not to be obsessed with a healthy diet. Have a great week!

    Jasmine x
    For a Real Woman - Instagram - Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crisps. Chocolates. Potatoes. Guilty. Biting my lip now. I probably do it 60/40. I try healthy sometimes but sometimes fall prey to doughnuts. Haha. Ok, I know it's not a laughing matter. Thanks for your recipe. I'll see if I can manage to do it the healthier way, which is your way :) Hope you're having a good week so far xx

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx