Sunday, November 23, 2014

A LITTLE SNACK BEFORE I GO

and then I'm ready to party


I wouldn't call myself a party animal, those days are long gone, but I do enjoy all the festive parties and celebrations that appear in my calendar at this time of year, especially the ones that other people are paying for; and as expected, every event involves calorie-laden food and alcohol.

Call me strange but, more often than not, I like to have a little snack before I go out for dinner/drinks. Of course it mops up some of the alcohol, but it also prevents me from being over-ravenous and consequently craving and eating foods and quantities that I would otherwise avoid. If I’m not starving, I tend to be more sensible with what I pick up at the buffet table or what I order off the menu. I do treat myself when I eat out, but it is more of a case of damage limitation rather than an all-out blow-out; Christmas lasts 6 weeks these days so I can’t afford (weight wise and money wise) to be completely blasé about my food choices.

One of the snacks I enjoy is hummus because it’s a versatile, healthy snack that’s actually quite easy to make at home. Yes I hear you saying, ‘why don’t you just buy hummus instead of making it?’, but I say where possible why buy it when you can make it. It’s just more satiating physically and psychologically when you’re eating your own fresh, home-cooked food, right? And in some cases it’s healthier too because you essentially know what ingredients are going into your own dish.

So here is my hummus dip recipe, which depending on my mood and appetite I eat with pitta break, cracker breads such as Ryvita or crudités. The ingredients in hummus are heart-healthy too: chickpeas provide soluble fibre, which can help lower cholesterol and olive oil is high in the heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.

What are your favourite snacks -  in general?

                                                      ______________________________

WHAT I USED
A whole can of chickpeas in water
A lemon
3 tablespoons of olive oil
Herbs (salt, paprika, cumin)
Tomato puree
Red onion



WHAT I DID
After draining and rinsing the chickpeas, I put the majority of them in a food processor together with the juice of the lemon, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, a teaspoon of cumin and parika and a dash of salt. (reserve some of the chickpeas for the next step).

Once the hummus was blended to a paste, I sautéed some red onions in olive oil, paprika and tomato puree, and then added the reserved chickpeas to fry with the sautéed ingredients.

Once the chickpeas had cooked down, I added the sautéed mixture to the blended hummus.

The whole chickpeas and sautéed onions add a nice texture and flavour to the finished dip.


I served mine with warm pitta bread, and I've had the leftovers with cracker breads the next day too. 









#yum -  now I'm ready to partaaay!

Later x

13 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen! If there is a thing I never did is just this: eat before going to a party/dinner/event. And now you make me think its just wrong as I really tend to overeating especially when there are rich buffets. Now I will definitely do it! Btw, Im vegetarian so I often have hummus to get proteins but I always buy it instead of making it at home. Im always curiout to try though, so your recipes is just perfect. Plus, looks so appetizing and Id love to have it right now with a pita, yummy!:) Have a wonderful week ahead dear! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well I'm not promising it will work, but it is worth a try to see whether it prevents you overeating. Wow I didn't realise you were vegetarian. x

      Delete
  2. i always put tahini in mine for that creaminess but i like the idea of tomato puree. i am like you though and am known to eat before dinner parties bc the host usually ends up serving food at 10!!! its best not to get me hangry as the term is now known!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I've seen a few recipes with tahini but my taste buds are very particular AKA boring - I have a sweet tooth and like the sweetness tomato puree give is. 'hangry' - noted x

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen.your tip is very helpful and sometimes i really eat a little snack before i go to a party/event or something like this. But my problem is, i eat at the event again.;) I wish i would have your discipline. I´m a weak if i see a cookie or chocolate. But i´m working on it.
    Dear Colleen. Can you tell us more about your eating routine. i would be interested what you eat the whole day and the whole week. I searching for a healthy eating plan.
    Have a nice week, Cla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to tell you more about my eating regime, I'll write a detailed account in a future blog post x

      Delete
    2. Thank you dear Colleen for telling me more about your eating regime. I´m i glad right now to read your post about the details.
      Have a nice day.

      Delete
  4. Same here, I always eat before going out, especially when I know that the party will involve more drinking than eating. I tend to eat a number of small portions anyway as I easily get hungry. I've never had hummus with tomato puree. Hmmm...very interesting. Something new to try! Hope you're having a good week so far x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomato puree gives it a slightly sweeter taste - me and my sweet tooth and all! x

      Delete
  5. I absolutely agree! I find it's always a good idea to have a little snack to avoid being too ravenous. We often eat the most amazing hummus when we visit the Middle East and I love it with fresh pitta bread. For a while now I have been disappointed with the supermarket variety and it just doesn't compare with home-made. I shall definitely try your version. Thanks for your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to try real authentic hummus. Marks and Spencer do a very nice Moroccan one, but I'm sure nothing beats the Middle East's

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hummus, and it's quite easy to make your own and tailor it to your tastes. This look delicious. I will definitely be eating before holiday parties, as I don't really eat sweets at all. I also love fresh cilantro, roasted pine nuts and roasted garlic in hummus.Enjoy your week!
    /Madison
    Weekend Style Files

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx