Monday, November 10, 2014

BROWNS: A RESTAURANT REVIEW

with an opportunity to indulge


It makes me chuckle when people display an air of surprise across their face at what I’m eating. It’s often assumed that because I’m a nutritionist I only eat, what traditionally would be categorised as, healthy food 100% of the time. I don’t believe in healthy/unhealthy foods per se, more healthy/unhealthy eating regimes or diets or lifestyles, etc. I tend to follow, and recommend, a realistic and sustainable 80/20 eating regime – 80% of the time I eat healthily and 20% of the time (for example eating out at the weekend or at an event) I treat myself to the food and drink I would usually avoid eating too frequently: crisps; sweets; chocolates; desserts; chips; Baileys; and creamy sauces to name my favourites. Last week, I decided to indulge at one of my favourite restaurants in Birmingham, Browns, and share afternoon tea with my friend.




THE REVIEW
I’ve always been impressed with the quality of the food, the service and the decadent atmosphere of Browns. The restaurant is perfectly situated within walking distance of the main Bullring shopping area, which makes it an ideal place to eat before or after some retail therapy. It overlooks the stunning St Martin’s Square and offers outdoor as well as indoor seating. Inside is tranquil and has a slightly rustic feel with a modern edge: a piano sits in the centre of the restaurant and photos of Birmingham’s heritage adorn the walls.




Afternoon tea is served between 2.30pm and 5pm and the fixed menu, at a reasonable cost of £16 for two, includes three tiers of beautifully presented, tasty food: a selection of delicately cut finger sandwiches including cucumber and cream cheese, smoked salmon and crème fraiche and egg and watercress; just enough mini desserts/cakes (salted caramel profiterole, Victoria sponge cake and Eton mess) to leave room for a generous sized fruit scone, which came with all the trimmings you’d expect with a cream tea – clotted cream and jam. You also get a large pot of tea with a choice of large leaf loose tea from Earl Grey to Rooibos, and unlimited hot water refills if you fancy a top-up.






What and where is your favourite restaurant? 

Later x


20 comments:

  1. Morning Colleen! I do believe in the same, I think sometimes, especially in the weekend, is good also to indulge in some treats and sweets. The restaurant sounds and looks very good, also the decor is lovely. One of the thing I always want to try is the afternoon tea, I never had one but next time in England I do for sure. I see you pampered yourself!:) Have a lovely day and week ahead, kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it will be god for you to try a traditional afternoon tea, just for the experience if nothing else x

      Delete
  2. One consistent place around the UK is browns. I like it and have do for the part 20 years. Almost an institution but I love wolseley in London for any meal and it's got a great atmosphere too which you need to try xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to eat healthily during the week also. I really do my best. Then I treat myself from Friday night. At the same time, I realise that when you get used to eating healthy, you don't really crave for the unhealthy counterpart as much. I notice that I've been eating less meat. It's not a deliberate and conscious decision. I'm just finding myself eating more fish lately. I love Browns! I loved that one in Windsor, although my favourite is still the one in Mayfair. I always order their crispy pork belly. The one in Mayfair is still the best so far, even though it's from the same menu. I have a friend who's also a nutrionist. Although she's vegetarian, she loves her spicy Malayasian food which we had last night xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh crispy pork belly yum, I'd find it difficult to be vegetarian but I am cutting back on my meat from a sustainability point of view. Yes my clients say that to me all the time: the more they eat the fresh, healthy foods, the less they crave the not so healthy foods x

      Delete
  4. I try to eat quite healthy during the week - but weekends are made for pampering and spoiling yourself with good food - whether if it's healthy or not :-) ... - Kisses from Vienna,

    Katja

    www.collectedbykatja.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I agree, although not too much ha ha

      Delete
  5. Dear Colleen, what a lovely place. At such a place it´s easy for me to pampering. I do the same, under the week i take care what i´m eating and at weekend i live in overindulge. (i hope this is the right word) ;)

    Afternoon tea would be perfect for me. I love to eat small bites.
    Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes that is the right word. Aaah yes small bites it certainly is. Thanks Cla

      Delete
  6. Hi Colleen.

    Thank you for your amazing comment on my blog.This is excellent review. Are you writing rewiews for food magazines as well?

    Lubi

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I write reviews for a couple of other Birmingham-based blogs x

      Delete
  7. That's a great attitude towards eating and one which I try to adopt although sometimes a few too many cakes just seem to creep in especially on holiday. You will know from my blog that I'm a huge fan of afternoon tea, a very civilised and tasty activity and this one is such amazing value too. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I've seen and had teas that are far more expensive, but not necessarily any better.

      Delete
  8. I don't really do restaurants but this looks so country,love the settings and your review makes it look like a very posh one.Need to visit a very good one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos!!! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks so yummy!
    And the environment is soo beautiful.
    I rarely eat at restaurants but this place looks very homey.

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx