Sunday, November 30, 2014

FLAT LAYS

The skin essentials edit

Source: Pinterest
If you follow the fashion bloggers on Instagram, you’ll have probably noticed the currently trending ‘flat lay’ photos displaying Daniel Wellington watches, Chanel Boy bags, Ray-Ban sunglasses, rock-stud Valentinos, YSL cosmetics, the latest glossy and Canon cameras, to name a few blogger essentials. Flat lays have become the new ‘in’ thing on Instagram according to Vogue who declared that ‘they’re a classic, simple and chic way to show off your favourite objects and current addictions in a pretty way’.

With the skin-biting, crisp, wintry weather in full force and all the festive parties yet to come, I thought I’d do my version of a flat lay (I cheated a bit by putting all the pictures together as a collage rather than a traditional flat lay) and show you some of my favourite things and current addictions that I do/use to help me achieve radiant, healthy skin. They include (but not limited to):

  • A diet rich in healthy fats and vitamin E -  vitamin E is an antioxidant and very well known for its skin health properties. As an antioxidant, it can protect the skin from collagen damaging radicals. Key sources of healthy fats and vitamin E include avocados, nuts, seeds and olive oil
  • Oily fish – oily fish, such as salmon, is rich in omega 3 fats which are important for skin health because of their anti-inflammatory properties and function in the skin’s cell membranes:  omega 3 fats aid better oxygen delivery to the skin, better transport of nutrients to the skin and enhance the skin’s ability to retain moisture
  • Water  -  for good hydration of the skin to reveal a more plump appearence
  • A diet rich in antioxidants – these are found in many foods but my favourite source is fruit and vegetables, particularly berries. Antioxidants help fight free radicals, which can cause damage and degradation of the skin’s collagen fibres, leading to reduced skin elasticity and resilience (=wrinkles) and a dulled, less plump appearance of the skin! 
  • Skin cleansing, skin toning, skin brushing, exfoliating and moisturising - working on the outside as well as the inside
  • Exercising – it’s like giving my skin a mini facial sauna without the artificial heat. Exercise can help open the pores and boost circulation giving you that all important glow


What are your current favourites for healthy skin?

Later x

13 comments:

  1. Morning Colleen! Ive noticed that trend on IG too and to be honest, for what I always see around, is like is always the pic lol!:P Btw, your version of flat lay pic is much cooler and interesting as Im obsessed with healthy skin and everything about it. Love to eat nuts and avocados but I should have more oily fish, I like salmon but u reminded me I dont eat it from ages, bad!:) Have a wonderful week my dear and Happy December! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are other sources of oily fish too including trout, fresh tuna and mackerel, but salmon is my favourite - enjoy! x

      Delete
  2. My skin has been going crazy lately due to the weather change but i am starting to realize that as you say that exercise is key and need to do it as it affects not just weight. i am taking acupuncture as well. Hopefully I will have clear skin again by the end of the month! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather does play havoc - I tend to up the topical applications and skin brushing at this time of year x

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen, you know the most of the time, i try to eat healthy.Fish, fruits and vegetable. So i don´t know why, but at the moment my skin gets a little bit crazy. And know my skin is at moisturizer diet. ;)
    I just feed my skin from the inside, with nuts, almonds and fish.
    The flats are to die for. ;)
    Have a great week dear Colleen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are other factors beyond diet that can affect the skin such as environmental changes, hormonal changes, medications and cosmetics but feeding the skin from the inside with a balanced and varied diet may help to reduce the effect of these factors. Thank you Cla

      Delete
  4. I prefer your flat lay Colleen, I am start to felling that the fashion blogging is about big labels such as Chanel and Valentino and nothing else exist......amazing tips how to stay healthy, thank you for sharing...

    Lubica

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaaw thanks Lubica and you're quite right - it is about the big labels; I think it always has been.

      Delete
  5. I have been noticing more and more of these photo arrangements but I didn't know they were called 'flat lays.' I wonder if that will make its way into the Oxford Dictionary! I like your version which is much more interesting and your tips are perfect for this time of year. I go to two exercise classes a week and I enjoy oily fish such as salmon and trout. As you say, it's about combining healthy eating with other routines to help achieve that radiant glow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had also thought that about the Oxford Dictionary - joining the newly added word 'selfie'. Watch this space I guess.

      Delete
  6. Flat lays are such a funny thing - they look so simple but they're actually very hard to get right and in all honest, every time I think about doing one, I ask myself, "Really? Am I spending this much time just arranging my possessions in a pretty way so that other people can admire them?" That usually stops me fairly quickly. But as for my skin, I can never do too much or spend too long! Eating healthy is always an uphill battle for me because I have the kind of genes that don't punish me even when I don't - but I still know I need to! I've added smoothies to my morning routine and I'm also trying to eat more fish (but I'm very fussy about the quality and let's face it, the best stuff isn't always exactly affordable.) Baby steps, right ;)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true - it does appear to be a bit of an effort, I couldn't even be bothered to do it properly for this post; I ended up doing a collage instead ha x

      Delete
  7. Dear Colleen,
    it's a pleasure for me to write about my current favourites for healthy skin :) First I try to avoid to touch during the day my face with my hands. Than I do daily consequent a beauty routine, I don't drink alcohol, I eat very seldom sweets and sugar, I rarely eat meat, I'm each day on the fresh air but I avoid sun tanning especially in my face. And I use Nivea cream :) Hope you are well, dear Colleen and I like your flat-lays here.

    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena
    International Giveaway: Christmas Surprise with Self Interest
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx