Monday, November 03, 2014

SOMETHING OLD, SOMETHING NEW, SOMETHING BORROWED…….

...........But nothing blue



We all have a friend or family member that we like to borrow clothes or accessories from, right, no? Well I do; I may borrow a bag or a bracelet or a hat from my cousin or friend, just so I can wear something 'new' without the expense. It’s perhaps not as common to borrow clothes from your mum though, especially when she's nearly 30 years your senior, but why leave mums out of the equation if their closet contains some stylish pieces too.

Five years ago my mum lost a lot of weight and I noticed that she started to take more pride in her appearance: getting her hair and nails done more regularly; buying new clothes and accessories each month; and venturing out of the house more frequently. In my opinion, the benefit of her weight loss was two-fold: firstly and most importantly, she became a healthier and happier woman, and secondly, she shops more often and tends to ask me to go with her (whoop whoop!), for company as well as advice, and she knows I’d never say no to a shopping trip!

At the beginning of September, mum asked me to accompany her to purchase a new coat that would be suitable for the milder days of autumn (or fall, as the  Americans call it). I happily obliged and chose the Per Una patterned coat that I am wearing in this post; this lightweight, versatile piece is from Marks and Spencer. Call me selfish, but when choosing clothes for family and friends, where possible, I try to select clothes that I could/would wear. I had tried the coat on before my mum even had an opportunity to and when I looked in the mirror the decision was made that this would be my mum’s new coat (that I could borrow from time to time *wink*). The size is one size up from what I would have bought, but with the oversized trend plaguing the high street this season, I didn't see this an issue.

So in this outfit I’m wearing something old (the bag), something new (the Chelsea boots) and something borrowed (coat); I’m just missing something blue and a silver sixpence in my shoe.

Do you borrow clothes/accessories from your friends or family?






Coat  Per Una at Marks & Spencer
Jeans  Topshop
Chelsea Boots Dune at Selfridges
Bag D&G (old present)
Later x

20 comments:

  1. My mother has the best shoes but she has small feet and I stopped fitting her shoes when I was 13..,I don't borrow so much anymore unless I have an event but I do tend to lend but it's hard getting the stuff back!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm very selective about what I lend to people! x

      Delete
  2. Hi Colleen! Lol, you made me smile, you gave a great advice to your mom on buying that coat, is so stylish and the pattern is really trendy. But most of all, I see it very good even on you, you did well to borrow it! Lookins smashing and classy dear, an outfit Id like to wear it. I tend to borrow stuff too, from my sisters or mom as well. Many kisses and have a lovely week! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lillii, I'd love to have a sister so we could play dress up together and borrow each other's clothes x

      Delete
  3. How funny! I think that in my family, I am the one that everyone borrows from more than anything, although I do have some lovely vintage pieces of my mum's now hanging in my closet. Convincing my mum to go shopping isn't always an easy matter, however, so I envy you that. And I envy you a mum stylish enough to wear a printed coat like this one - what an utterly fabulous piece!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cee, I do love the fact that mum doesn't mind shopping x

      Delete
  4. Dear Colleen, what a nice story. My 25 years old daughter always borrows some of my clothes, But what a pity for her, we have not the same shoes-size. ;)
    Your outfit is great and the black and white pattern of the coat matches perfect with your black outfit. Your boots are also fantastic, i love flat shoes at the moment. Now i know where you got your great style.
    Have a nice week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes that is a pity that you're not the same shoe size. At least she has a very stylish mum to borrow clothes from though x

      Delete
  5. Finally getting back into some kind of routine after my holiday and enjoying catching up on your posts. I would not have guessed that this was a Per Una coat - looks great oversized. A clever idea to help your Mum choose items that you know you might borrow sometime. There's generally less of a gap between generations nowadays. I especially like the last photo with your boots in the autumn leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss B and I think you're right about the generation gap.

      Delete
  6. Such an amazing fall look, my dearest! Especially felt in love with your coat <3 ... Unfortunately my sister an mum live 700 kilometers far away - so we can't wear each others clothes :-/ ... - Kisses from Vienna,

    Katja

    www.collectedbykatja.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice coat...you and your mum have a good taste in fashion...have a great weekend...

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, my mum's taste is influenced by me

      Delete
  8. You look super chic,your black demin andcoat, perfection!!!
    http://rock4less.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Colleen, wow your Mum must be really fashionable after she lost weight as the coat is really wonderful! You gave here such a good advice and the coat looks fantastic on you! Love also your new boots and for sure the bag :) I have to admit that I constantly borrow socks and t-shirts from my husband ... and our daughter has constantly demands on my closet ... and if you recommend your friends/family members what you would shop I'm sure that they get the best advice as I know about your good taste <3 Happy new week dear Colleen!

    Lovely greetings from Germany/Bavaria, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha love that you borrow socks and t-shirts from your husband x

      Delete
  10. I like the coat; it has an Aztec theme going on about it :) And I dig the oversized cut. Well, I never borrow from anyone. Sorry. Haha. I don't let anyone borrow from me either. Sorry again. I'm very territorial when it comes to my clothes, shoes and accessories. But that's why my 10-year-old shoes look like I just bought them. Everyone knows this about me. I can lend money and time but not my bags :D Hope you're having a good week so far xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaah well I'm very selective about what I lend and to whom: the Sophie Hulme, Hindmarch and Mulberrys would be staying firmly placed on my arm and I never share shoes! xx

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx