Sunday, November 16, 2014

CHRISTMAS IN BIRMINGHAM

At the German Market





When did it all happen? I mean, one minute I’m wearing spaghetti string tops, sunglasses and gladiator sandals, and the next minute I’m wrapped up in my thermals with a hat and umbrella, walking along the streets of Birmingham town centre dodging my way past the hoards of shoppers and a mile-long trail of festivities that decorate the high street. Time has flown by and now it’s official: the Christmas countdown has begun and it seems to kick off earlier and earlier each year, doesn’t it? I don’t know whether the wave of anxiety that has swept across me in the past few days is an emotion of dread or one of excitement about the lead up to the ‘Big Day’ – probably a combination of both.

The Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market, also known as the German Market, opened for its 14th successive year last week; this is the occasion that marks Christmas in Birmingham. I’m not a huge fan of this annual event: I don’t drink beer; I don’t like Frankfurters; I hate overcrowded spaces; and I can think of nothing worse (well, maybe a few things) than standing outside in the cold and rain eating, drinking and trying to be merry – give me an afternoon tea in a chic restaurant any day. Anyway, apparently the market attracted five million visitors in 2013 and is reported to be the largest authentic German market outside Germany and Austria so my opinion really counts for nothing and is probably in the minority; I would, however, recommend anyone visiting Birmingham to go take a peek, even if it’s just for 5-10 minutes, like I did this weekend.

Walking through the market, watching people gorge on huge Frankfurters, pints of beer and various sweet treats reminded me why the average person is reported to consume an extra 500 calories per day - equating to a weight gain of around 5lbs - over the festive period. I wrote a blog post last year and the year before about managing your weight over Christmas and I thought I would be a bit of a Scrooge and take the opportunity to direct you back to these posts (here). Of course if you’re one of those people who have decided to forget about your weight and healthy lifestyle for the next month or so and start again in January, then go ahead and leave me a comment anyway, whilst you slurp on your Baileys and indulge on your mince pie.







Biker Jacket Firetrap (old)
Wide Leg Trousers Oasis
Jumper Zara
Trainers Adidas Stan Smith
What do you love and hate about the festive period?

Later x

14 comments:

  1. I dislike the lack of sun and it's hard for me to get too excited about British winters but having a reason to catch up with people is nice and a chance to recollect! Ps I love frankfurters with sauce with beer!!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true - the social networking is a plus and the winter wardrobe shopping! x

      Delete
  2. Dear Colleen, yes, the colder season has come really soon but fortunately we enjoy here in Bavaria a wonderful autumn. Interesting that in Birmingham already a Christmas market startet, here I think the first will be earliest in the last week of November. But I agree, I hear and see everywhere many things about Christmas, seems really to earlier each year ... Like you I'm neither a fan of such crowed events and I belong to the people who intends to maintain the usual weight :) Wish you nevertheless an enjoying rest of autumn and for sure a happy new week!

    Lovely greetings from Germany/Bavaria, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ours always starts in November - Christmas has certainly come round too early!

      Delete
    2. Obviously ... hope you had a good week and you enjoy at the moment your weekend, dear Colleen! xx Rena

      Delete
  3. Ahaah, you made me so smile Colleen!:D Well, to be honest Xmas markets are always something Id love to visit, unfortunately here where I live isnt something typical (you probably are thinking "lucky you"!) but just for that, is my dream to see one at this time of the year as they always look magical and very tempting. As German market in Birmingham. You are right, time flew and I neither noticed it! You look fantastic and have such a wonderful smile that makes me smile back! Thanks for that post, I soon checked it out and I will follow ur precious tips since I want to control this year (even though I know will be impossible!). Have a great week! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking lucky you!! ha ha. Thanks for your kind words x

      Delete
  4. Dear Colleen, i love Christmas markets. The whole atmosphere, the smell and all the delicious food. In Germany the Christmas market starts at 1. December and so many people visit the markets. Sometime for me to much people. So i avoid the rush hours. I like your beautiful smile with your dimples. (I hope the is the right word) ;) Have a great week, dear Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness so our German market starts even earlier than the German market in Germany! Dimples is the right word - they have grown on me, I used to hate them! Thank you

      Delete
  5. I read about this just today and got excited as if I'm meeting a new date. Hahaha. I love Germany and anything to do with it, so I thought this would be the next best thing. And I imagined I would finally meet you. Haha. What I hate about the festive season: it's my busiest at work, and I miss my family who are all away from me. What I love about it: I get to choose my gifts and I get to choose more expensive ones coz my birthday falls a few days after Three Kings. Haha. That's it really. Hope you're having a good week xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hun. Oooh yes that must be tough not to have all your family with you. I hope you get whatever expensive gift is on your wishlist!

      Yeaaah!! well if you do decide to come to the Birmingham market you will have to let me know and I'll try and keep the date free to meet up with you, depending on what else you have planned for the day of course xx

      Delete
  6. I think we were so fortunate this year to have an extended summer but as a result winter and Christmas preparations seem to have taken us by surprise! I've just returned from a couple of days in Munich where they were getting their Christmas markets ready to open this weekend. The Birmingham one certainly looks authentic and similar to the Manchester one too. I prefer to have just a quick look around when it's quieter and definitely not weekend! I can't resist a mulled wine as it just makes me feel so festive!

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx