Sunday, December 28, 2014

CHOCOHOLICS

It's your time of year!

Since Wednesday 24 December (2014), I have indulged in chocolate every day and today is no exception. Unfortunately I’m not a, ‘I can take or leave chocolate’, kind of person so  I don’t typically include chocolate on my shopping list. In fact my mantra is, ‘if it is there you will eat it, if it is not you can’t’, so I only tend to buy my foodie 'treats' (Haribos, Haagen-Daaz, Ferrero Rochers, Baileys) when it’s a special occasion. Of course, this past week has been a very special occasion……………….!

This weekend I decided to christen my Costa latte cups which were bought for me as a Christmas gift by one of my clients. I don’t drink coffee/lattes or tea, but I am quite partial to a cup of hot chocolate, but I’m not talking about any shop-bought packet hot chocolate, I’m talking about a thick homemade hot chocolate made with pieces of real chocolate and a large splash of Baileys - very festive!



I used 6 pieces of 70% dark chocolate and cocoa powder in my recipe. Dark chocolate, minus its high fat, sugary, creamy contents, is higher in cocoa solids and flavanols than milk chocolate. Flavonols are naturally occurring antioxidant phytochemicals which are reported to have cardiovascular benefits i.e. lowers heart disease and stroke risk. Cocoa powder is one of the richest sources of flavonols in the diet and as a general rule the higher the percentage of cocoa solids in a chocolate product and the more bitter the taste, the more heart-healthy flavanols it contains; but be warned, this is not a passport to eat as much as you like - it still has calories - it's just a better option than milk or white chocolate.


I melted the pieces of chocolate and 2 teaspoonfuls of cocoa powder in 300mls of unsweetened almond milk by pouring the milk into a saucepan and bringing it almost to the boil over a medium heat. I added half a teaspoon of cornflour to thicken, and half a cinnamon stick for that festive flavour and let the mixture simmer over a low heat, whisking occasionally with my Aerolatte milk frother. I finally added the magic ingredient -  Baileys; you choose how much you want to add to suit your taste buds and let the chocolate-Baileys drink warm through.







Now curl up by the fire and slurp away!

Have you used any of your Christmas gifts yet?

Happy New Year! x

20 comments:

  1. Morning Colleen! Oh, Ive indulged in chocolate and other treats too much these days too, now Im also seeing your recipe and Im so drooling over it! A good cup of thick homemade hot cocoa is the best treat during the holidays, I usually make it plain but adding the Baileys makes it more appealing and tasty. How cute are the cups, your clients made you a very lovely gifts! Have a wonderful week Colleen, hope ur holidays are going great! Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lilli, yes the Baileys adds a nice touch but not too often ha ha x

      Delete
  2. Colleen!! Just catching up on my blog readings. Belated Happy Christmas! I only managed to get on Instagram (thanks to that social medium). I could use some of your hot chocolate now! Yum yum yum! I'm too lazy to make my own, but I always try :D Yes, I've managed to use my Xmas gift. It's a new camera! I'll be sharing snapshots soon. I'm a certified shutterbug now, I think I take photos of anything and then find out that I've captured something which I didn't see with my naked eyes. Anyway, I don't think it's too early to greet you happy new year, so, Happy New year! See you in 2015! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh can't wait to see all your snaps with your new gadget - I still stick pretty much with the basic settings on my EOS but will consider some photography lessons in the new year. You too have a Happy New Year when it arrives and see you on Instagram whilst slurping my mug of cocoa xx

      Delete
  3. Oh dear Colleen, this sounds so delicious. I like chocolate very much. My favorite is dark chocolate with chile. But a hot chocolate with Bailys is a great idea. Be sure i will dry your recipe. Your Mantra about sweeties is admirable. My mantra is: if i got chocolate, cookies or something like this, in the house. i will eat it. If i have nothing at home, i go the next day and buy some sweeties.
    The cups are really cute, lucky clients.
    Dear Colleen. I wish you a great end of 2024 and a wonderful beginning of 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha your mantra made me chuckle. Happy New Year Cla!

      Delete
  4. Hope you had a good holidays! This is so delicious and I love baileys - if it weren't so sweet and alcoholic i would have it for dessert everyday but i have no self control. It really is a problem - i can't jsut have one...naught you for making me have one tonight even though I am still stuffed from the holidays! I wish you a happy new year and all the best for 2015 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite alcoholic tipple too. If I weren't a nutritionist I'd drink it every day as well ha. Enjoy your drink tonight! xx

      Delete
  5. Wow delicious!!!
    A new year always brings new dreams, new goals, new challenges, but old friends always remain.

    ★⋰⋱★⋰⋱★⋰⋱★⋰⋱★
    ★ Feliz Año Nuevo ★
    ★⋱⋰★⋱⋰★⋱⋰★⋱⋰★
    \_2_/\_o_/\_1_/\_5_/
    ._|_..._|_..._|_.._|_

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh such lovely words, thank you Marcela.

      Delete
  6. Great post !Would you like to follow each other?
    http://kasjaa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Colleen, today I cooked also a hot chocolate for my husband and our son when they came back from skiing but I have to admit that my hot choclate was poor in the comparsion to your for sure dreamy hot chocolate! Thanks for sharing this here, next time I will do it better, but I think I will maybe leave the alcohol away :) Yes, I used one my Christmas gift already, I wore a few time my new pistol boots.

    Dear Colleen, I wish you only the best for the New Year, that you will still enjoy the choclate and the sweetness of life in general <3 Thanks a lot that you are visiting my blog so reliable and leaving always so nice and interesting comments. Looking forward to meet you virtual in 2015!

    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena
    International Giveaway: Christmas Surprise with Self Interest
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rena for your kind words and yes the healthier option would be to omit the Baileys........ Happy 2015 x

      Delete
  8. Ooooooooh My GOSH - Col, this post had me drooling. Wow. I have actually been far too good lately and not had much chocolate at all - but crisps on the other hand......... thats my weakness :) hehehe
    after this post though i really might need to indulde in some milk choc!! :)

    www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. although dark chocolate is a healthier option.

      Delete
  9. Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its almost arduous to argue with you. You positively put a brand new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx