Sunday, January 18, 2015

JANUARY TRADITIONS

 Two things I won't do



There are two January traditions I don’t engage in: detoxing and shopping in the sales. With respect to the latter, it’s not that I don’t like a good discount, I most certainly do, but there is something about post-Christmas shopping trips that just don’t evoke the same level of passion and excitement I usually feel at other times of the year; it’s almost like I need a detox from retail stores, which stands to reason given the amount of time I spend in them in the lead up to Christmas, trying to decipher what to buy family and friends – I kind of just need a break from it all. Boxing Day saw all the savvy bargain hunters rummaging through mounds of discounted items whilst I was sat at home in my pyjamas, curled up by the fire, eating leftovers and watching Planet Of The Apes.

With respect to detoxing, I’m guessing every qualified nutritionist/dietitian is currently at their wits end with reading and hearing about special detox diets. Detoxing is the basis of many people’s diet-related resolutions in a bid to rid their body of the toxins that have built up over Christmas and lose weight – it’s all a load of ole’ balderdash.  If toxins did build up in a way that our bodies could not excrete, we’d be in need of serious medical intervention or even dead. The healthy body has kidneys, a liver and skin which are more than capable of carrying out the detoxifying process on a daily basis without having to resort to restrictive, tedious and in some cases dangerous detox diets, which claim to ‘cleanse’ organs. Despite this, I wouldn't say to abandon all plans for a January light on alcohol and chocolate and heavy on kale and juices because this might just be the opportunity to reassess your eating habits and give you the kick start you need to get on track to a healthy lifestyle.

Now I’m off to massage some kale in lemon juice, olive oil, omega seeds and Granny Smith apple chunks -  yes there is such a recipe as massaged kale - massaging the kale is supposed to transform the green from being bitter and tough, to soft and sweet.




Later x

20 comments:

  1. Morning Colleen! I share your thoughts, though I love sales if I find a great bargain (I just bought a scarf that was on my wishlist, but thats all) I dont like shopping during this time of the year. The stores are so crowded, still like before Xmas, and if ever have to "detox" from something, it is for sure stores and spend money lol! Regarding the diet, I agree with you, actually I find it nosense, first big noshups and then the run to the detox, is bad for the health and the body. Your recipe looks tasty, I thought it was cheese but then read was apple. Have a wonderful week ahead Colleen, hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feta cheese goes really well with kale actually. Yes I agree, crowded stores are just not my thing! x

      Delete
  2. I think many people also,Blanche it so they isn't as stringy. I don't think we have great sales anyway so I don't get excited. Today is blue Monday apparently which is the saddest day of the month. I would have beer but it's too cold! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That recipe sounds and looks delicious Colleen! WOW! I am definitely going to try it out. It sounds so healthy!!
    I hope 2015 has been good to you so far - this post was a lovely read.

    xxx

    www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not been bad at all Jade, thank you x

      Delete
  4. Dear Colleen, i also thought it´s cheese, but apple is a great idea for this recipe. I never heard about massaging the kale, but it makes sense. :)) The recipe sounds healthy and yummy at the same time.

    Thank you for your correctly explain about detox. I have already thought to me that is not healthy for the body.

    In Germany sale starts at December and we have still sale. Now one finds only what nobody would want.I like in general no crowd of people.
    Dear Colleen, i wish you an wonderful week. Cla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, just the scraps that nobody wants - like at a buffet ha!

      Delete
  5. I don't detox. I just drink plenty of water. And lots of green tea (preferably jasmine flavoured). I don't queue at any sales also, whether pre or post-holidays. But I always try to find the best deals online. Or anywhere really. But I never join physical sales. It's too stressful for me. I love bargains but not willing to sacrifice comfort. Haha. I love outlets though. But don't make me shop now. Please. Haha. Hope you're having a good week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been clothes/shoes shopping online recently - I've previously found myself having to return items and it got annoying. I don't mind a nudge and a shuffle in the sales, just not at this time of year. Go to an outlet, go to an outlet! xx

      Delete
  6. I don't detox either! I must try masaging the kale and the addition of apple sounds like an excellent idea to add a little sweetness. As for the sales, I haven't usually the patience to go rummaging through all the rails. ( having spent so long buying presents in the run up to Christmas too.) Having said that, I was looking at some of the new stock in Whistles and actually spotted some boots and a cashmere sweater which were in the sale. They just had a small rail and shelf of sale items so no rummaging needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does exactly that Miss B - the apple adds just the sweetness it needs. I certainly find it more tolerable to shop in the sales of more high end shops like Whistle and Hobbs than places such as Topshop/Zara but alas even their bargains can be a little pricey.........ha

      Delete
  7. Dear Colleen, honestly now I feel myself a bit boring as I think you know that I don't like it in general to shop and that I'm not a huge fan of sales. And as I normally don't drink alcohol, I rarely eat sweets my January is for me from the shopping and health side the same month than the other 11 month in the year :) Wish you a wonderful weekend, thanks for stopping by!
    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agree with your aversion to detoxing and sale shopping. I don't do detoxes but I am going the month of January without drinking any alcohol. I'm not sure really why I decided to do it. Partly to get rid of unnecessary calories and partly because I felt like I was drinking too much around the Christmas period. Glad the month is almost over though because I am craving a glass of red wine!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Colleen.

    I agree. It is good to have a detox from shops. I like good discounts but post- Christmas shopping can be horrible, with so many people who tried to grab bargain. It is too street full...
    Take care.... Lubica

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk

    http://lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looove kale! And I agree with you about January shopping. Because I buy much more on the web, I am not really affect by discounts in January. And the crowds, that would put me off, so I agree with you on not engaging on that tradition!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just thought I'd say hi and thank you for your comment about Paddington. I was so surprised to find out about the Jeremy Clarkson link and was also wondering whether he had seen the film!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx