Saturday, January 03, 2015

NEW YEAR'S EVE/NEW YEAR'S DAY - IN LONDON

A time of reflection







 First of all, let me take the opportunity to say what you've probably been hearing and reading for the past 48 hours: Happy New Year! How did you spend your New Year’s Eve? Well you've probably guessed I spent mine in London cruising the River Thames in anticipation of the epic firework display that spills out of the iconic London Eye. My family and I decided to watch the spectacular from a boat instead of the sofa this year and we were not disappointed by our decision. If you're considering doing something similar next year on the Thames, I'd highly recommend the Barracuda or The Silver Sturgeon cruise boat, which offers a sit down waiter-service meal while you wait for the chimes of Big Ben.

WEARING: The ubiquitous camel coat (ASOS)
After dropping off our bags at the hotel, we braved the chaotic shopping mecca of Oxford/Regent Street and then took a walk along the route we’d have to take later that evening to board the cruise boat – the scenic Parliament Square. Despite living in London for four years as a student, I never tire of what the city has to offer; I relish being a tourist when I’m there with my flimsy tube map and hefty DSLR draped around my neck. It was a New Year’s Eve well spent!





I returned to Birmingham on New Year’s Day and took the opportunity during my one and half hour journey to log in to my social media accounts and explore how everyone else had spent their new year and identify what resolutions had been made. I don’t tend to make resolutions, but I do take time to reflect on my achievements from the previous year, and my goals for the coming year; the quotes I see on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter sometimes help me to do this and get back to the grind, so I thought I’d echo a few  of the more poignant ones here; I think they can apply to many aspects of life: health, well-being, career, family…



"2015 won't change anything unless you do"








Do you make New Year resolutions? What do you hope 2015 has in store for you?

I wish you health, happiness and prosperity!

Later x



26 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! wishing you a very happy 2015 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quotes babes and lovely inspirations. Love the way you spent the beginning of your 2015. Wow.... on the boat? Watching fireworks!!! Damn.... girl that is so cool. Happy 2015. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha thanks Kim. Happy 2015 to you too x

      Delete
  3. Hello Colleen! Wow, I see you had a huge blast either nye and new year's day. I wish I was in London too, cruising the River Thames right that night with the fireworks must have been so dreamy and picturesque, and wow, look at you, you were STUNNING! I usually dont make resolutions as well but as you I like to reflect and those quotes are for sure very inspiring, the first one in particular. Have a wonderful weekend Colleen, many kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaaw thanks Lilli, hope you had a good evening too. x

      Delete
  4. Dear Colleen,
    first of all, happy new year. 2015. Starting into the new year like you, is a fantastic way. The pictures of London looks great. You too, i can see a little bit of your golden Pants. Wish i could see the whole outfit. :)
    Normally i´m not a big fan of resolutions, but this year i need some. Maybe i´m then more disciplined.
    The most of the quotes are very vise.
    Wish you a very nice weekend dear Colleen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaah yes I didn't take my coat off for ages, I was so cold. I've worn the same outfit before though here: http://forcailini.blogspot.co.uk/2013_02_01_archive.html
      Thanks Cla

      Delete
  5. Never even thought of that boat ride on New Year's eve! That's lovely :) I don't do resolutions. I just set goals to achieve and work on. I need a purpose. For 2015, I have major life events planned that I've set aside for a long time. Some of them are deeply personal, so they won't likely make it to the blog or even Instagram, but the rest are quite exciting and full of adventure, they have to be shared :)

    Happy New Year to you all the best for 2015! I hope to meet you one day, when you're next in town xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically I used to work on one of these river boats doing silver service when I was at uni many moons ago and always promised myself I'd be the one getting served one day!

      I set goals rather than resolutions too. I'm super excited to read about your 2015 adventures - take me with you pleaaasse! xx

      Delete
  6. Wow Col, NYE in London must be absolutely incredible. Looks like you had a spectacular time - wish I'd spent mine like that!!

    Hope 2015 is all you hope it to be and more love! Also really like your images and quotes you've added - 2015 won't change anything unless you do! So true and awesome to read!! xxx

    www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That quote is so true, right? Thank you Jade

      Delete
  7. Some things can be absorbed best, amidst the rushing currents. It can always keep you one with the motions of the nature. Boat rides can definitely be a blast, whether it's a rental or arranged, in which either way is fine. Anyway, thanks for sharing your New Year's Eve memories with us, which are really splendid, indeed! All the best to you!

    Kent Garner @ White Marine Center

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Colleen,
    you had really a good idea how to spend NYE! You look beautiful and if I ever will be in London on NYE I will do exactly that :)
    I neither make any resolutions but I like it also to have reviews on the end of the year (honestly I do this constantly). But I love the quotes you post here, they are so true and it's good that you remembered on these important facts in this context.
    I wish you a very happy and healthy New Year, may all your wishes come true and may your year be filled with love, fun and laughter <3
    All the best for you from Germany/Bavaria, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rena. It seems a lot of people aren't making resolutions these days - reviews are always a good idea.

      Delete
  9. So inspirational post...Happy New Year, a lot's of amazing handbags, shoes and love in Year 2015 for you girl...

    lttreasure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's such a fabulous way to welcome the New Year and having a perfect view of the fireworks from the boat is a bonus. London is fabulous at any time of the year but particularly attractive during the festive season. We enjoyed our short break in the run up to Christmas. Your photos as always are stunning and that's a very stylish coat too! Great choice of inspirational quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great article, Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That’s a fantastic way to welcome the New Year. Well I welcome this day by hosting a rocking party at best new year eve party nyc venue. I invite all my closed ones to this party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's amazing and interesting post which is written beautifully
    Great Post and Keep Sharing
    Pay for Custom Homework Assignments

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah dear, there are several different types of party venues and party city locations NY available for your all different types of parties like wedding, anniversary, birthday, New Year eve and other events.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is an extremely smart written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic photos and quotes, you've really captured the most beautiful areas of London here!

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx