Sunday, February 15, 2015

BIRMINGHAM PARKRUN - PERRY HALL PARK

at a park near you!




You may recall a previous post where I reported that I was not a big fan of running outside when it’s freezing cold, and consequently I look for alternative ways to get my recommended 150 minutes of physical activity into my week. I bought a treadmill a couple of years ago, which often comes in handy, however, having used my treadmill more frequently recently (due to the weather) I've succumbed to the belief that nothing really beats working out in the great outdoors -  better scenery, fresh air for my sweat to evaporate into and a chance to meet new people.


Parkrun UK is a not-for-profit organisation that organises free, weekly, 5km timed runs in pleasant parkland surroundings on weekend mornings. They welcome all ages and abilities, from those running for the first time to those at more trained levels, even Olympic level!

 I went along to my first Parkrun this weekend and I'd highly recommend it: a beautiful parkland setting; friendly fellow runners; encouraging support staff (who are volunteers); and, as you leave, a feeling of motivation to beat your time the following week. The history of Parkrun can be found here  but if you have been contemplating starting, increasing or changing your exercise regime, Parkrun is definitely something to consider – but don’t wear your best trainers or Net-a-Sporter attire because they’re likely to get quite grubby as you stomp your way through the parkland. Don’t think this is just a Birmingham or UK event either; Parkrun organise these events all over the world, so why not look out for your local Parkrun.





Later x

12 comments:

  1. Morning Colleen! I remember very well that previous post and, as you, I definitely love and prefer to wour outdoor then inside, though of course the cold is still a problem. Parkrun is something I would love to take part in, love running and I can imagine the nice atmosphere and fun there were also with the other runners, the training works even better in this way. Btw, I wanted to see you in your sporty/glam suit though!:P Have a wonderful week dear, many kisses! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wasn't glam at all - in fact I wore exactly what I wore in the previous post I wrote about exercising. I do need to invest in some sporty clothes though.

      Delete
  2. Dear Colleen,
    Because I freeze always very easily, training is also often too cold for me outfit. But it gives more pleasure and the fresh air is sure also better for the health. Therefore, I also force myself to outdoor-sport. After five minutes I have warmed up me anyway. :)
    Parkrun looks interesting and for sure running is more fun with many people and of cause it´s a chance to meet new people.
    Wish you a very nice week, dear Colleen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's very true - after a while you do warm up but my fingers never do, whatever gloves I wear.

      Delete
  3. Hello dear Colleen,
    I think to run in a group can be motivating. Here on the Bavarian country side are also many running groups which run regularly and at least once a week. I personally didn't belong to such a group so far as I'm not the running type. But I wish you by all my heart that this is on the long term a good possibility to run even when it's cold outside and you benefit from the group power.
    Hope you are well!
    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes that's the things, finding something you are willing to do in the long term!

      Delete
  4. Wow, this park looks amazing, very beautiful pictures! I love parks and water around, a pond, a lake, water in general! It's nice seeing people jogging, accomplishing their goals... and even freezing cold, well done!I hope you take part in more events like this one, cause I see you really liked it! Hope you are having a nice week so far and in order not to miss any post, I have subscribed by email now!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise and yes water has such a therapeutic effect, doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. I've never really been too keen on exercise outdoors in the cold but I can see how motivating this must be in a group. I prefer taking classes for the same reason as it's more fun with others. Fresh air and lovely surroundings though would be a bonus! Perry Hall Park looks very attractive and we are fortunate in the UK to have these open spaces in our cities and towns. Parkrun is a great initiative! Thanks for introducing us to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes very true, we are fortunate to have these parks and I want to take more advantage of them.

      Delete
  6. I've heard of Parkrun on other UK blogs and I have to say, I think the idea just seems so clever. I'm devoted to indoor exercise in winter because there's nothing worse than pounding the pavement on your own in the cold and rain... but a group setting like this could make all the difference!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree Cee, I wrote a whole post about being adverse to the cold and rain when training outdoors ha ha

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx