Sunday, March 29, 2015

ALMOND MILK

just for a change


There are various reasons why people forgo drinking cow’s milk: a person may be lactose intolerant; you may simply dislike the taste of milk; vegans eliminate dairy products from their diet; and some folk believe that cow’s milk should only be consumed by……well…..cows! Me, I enjoy drinking cow’s milk just for the taste, the nutritional benefit is the bonus; I have it with my breakfast cereals, add it to smoothies and sometimes simply have it as a refreshing drink with my snack. However, for those people who cannot or choose not to drink cow’s milk, there are plenty of milk alternatives from soya milk and oat milk, to specific dairy-free milks and nut milks -  the latter being the subject of this post.


As well as cow’s milk, I’m also quite partial to nut milks, particularly almond milk, however I find the unsweetened ready-made boxed versions a little insipid. Some versions are quite tasty but the sacrifice is that they often contain added sugar, so when it comes to nut milks I tend to have home-made almond milk, which means I can make it to suit my discerning taste: I add a dash of nutmeg and vanilla to excite my palate and I make it as deliciously creamy as possible. Of course, this type of milk is not suitable for people with nut allergies and although almond milk is a source of vitamin E (nuts are rich in the antioxidant vitamin E), be mindful that it can lack some of the nutritive qualities of cow’s milk (e.g. protein and calcium), however a balanced and varied diet should account for this.



What I used
3 cups of Water
1 cup of Almonds (blanched or unblanched works equally well I feel)
Nutmeg (or cinnamon)
Vanilla essence
Cheesecloth
Sweetener (optional)


What I did
It’s so simple, albeit a little messy!

Soak the almonds in a bowl of water for at least 6 hours. They say the longer you leave the nuts to soak, the creamier the milk.

Blend the drained nuts together with fresh water (I used my NutriBullet for this), vanilla essence and nutmeg. You can alter the volume of water depending on your preferred consistency.


Strain the milk using the cheesecloth so you’re left with a smooth and creamy milk -  this is when it can get a bit messy if you’re not careful because you have to squeeze the liquid out……just like milking a cow.

Put the strained milk in your mason jar (okay it doesn’t have to be a mason jar), pop it in the fridge and serve once chilled.

It’s a shame to discard the nutrient- dense pulp left in the cheesecloth, and I’m still looking for delicious recipes that’ll show me how I can make use of this filtered goodness.






Later x

15 comments:

  1. Hello Colleen! You know, I always look strange people when they say dont drink cow's milk just 'cause dislike its taste, I mean I cant live without it! Usually I have it before to go to sleep, with some biscuits, it makes me feel more relaxed. But actually I never tasted almond milk and is a real shame as I know I could appreciate it a lot. I am not able at all to do it at home as you though, Im the first messy lol so I cant! You did an excellet job, looks very appealing and u are stunning in the last pic! Have a wonderful week ahead, many hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it, especially if you think you'd like a creamy milk which I do - don't worry about the mess, you can always clear it up ha ha x

      Delete
  2. I don't drink milk, I mean, not pure, just in yoghurt or anything else with it, like ice creams, cakes, so on... but not pure, as I said. Recently I saw on TV a presenter making almond milk cheese and I got crazy about it, want to try it so much! So what for a great post you wrote now, teaching how to make almond milk! I will try! And the fact that it contain vitamin E is great! Due to my junk food food I need vitamins so much, and this recipe came very handy, thank you!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a opportunity to try it, although you perhaps will not like it if you do not like milk - I like easy recipes and this is definitely easy enough to try, and see if you like it x

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen, i really like milk but unfortunately i´m lactose intolerance. So i prefer lactose free milk. But i´m sure i can make this almond milk with lactose free. I kno almond mik, but never made it self. I buy it from a farmer Market. You recipe sounds great ant not so difficult. So i will try it.
    You post is great and all the pictures fantastic. I love the last picture of you with milk in bed. Very lovely. :) Wish you a very nice week, dear Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cla. Almond milk is a great option for people who are lactose intolerant and you only really need two ingredients - almonds and water. I hope you get to try it one day x

      Delete
  4. Am definitely gonna try this.looks very creamy, better than the one from the shop. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's why I love it, I can make it so creamy!

      Delete
  5. I'm finally catching up on my blog reading! I like cow's milk paricularly in the morning straight from the fridge on my cereal. I decided to try almond milk (from the suermarket) a couple of weeks ago and I made a hot chocolate with it but the taste was disappointing and not as rich and nutty as I expected. I shall have to make your version as the addition of vanilla and nutmeg sounds delicious.
    Have a lovely Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly - supermarket versions are not a touch on homemade versions.

      Delete
  6. Dear Colleen,
    honestly I never tried almond milk but I think with your helpful advice it is manageable to prepare this kind of milk. I think this is really an alternative to cow milk and why not to try it? I have also read several times about the thesis that cow milk is only for cows - but as I feel well with drinking cow milk and products made from cow milk I didn't stop it so far :) But who knows what future will bring? Wish you Happy Easter, dear Colleen!
    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. so interesting post ! beautiful pics !

    www.madamedaria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I look forward to trying it out...
    Restaurant in South Campus

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx