Sunday, March 01, 2015

TOMATO & BASIL SPAGHETTI

but not with the spiralizer this time

Spirali from Amazon
Okay I've done it, I've succumbed....…..I've upgraded my mini, inconspicuous handheld spiralizer gadget to a larger, sturdier, ‘can’t find any space to put it’ gadget. As you’re probably aware, spiralizers are great for cutting various fruit and vegetables into spaghetti-shaped spirals; in fact the finished product has become somewhat of a social media sensation with vegetarian food bloggers, raw food advocates and low carb enthusiasts photographing and posting their freshly prepared coodles/courgetti dishes where they have substituted, what typically would be, wheat-based spaghetti or noodles for courgettes and other vegetables.

I don't have an allergy or intolerance to wheat or gluten, I'm not a raw food vegetarian, and I’m against people generally cutting out all carbohydrates from their diet for reasons I have discussed previously, however, for me the Spirali is a useful gadget for making alternative, and might I add pretty, dishes when I feel like a change from the norm. Despite my recent purchase, I made a quick and simple lunchtime dish this weekend - Tomato and Basil Spaghetti, which can also be made with vegetable spirals using the spiralizer, however I didn't have the vegetables I needed, so this time I've made it with whole-wheat spaghetti. Wholewheat pasta provides a good portion of wholegrains and evidence is growing that eating wholegrains regularly as part of a healthy diet and lifestyle may help to reduce the risk of many common diseases such as heart disease and bowel cancer.


What I used:
Whole-wheat pasta or vegetable spirals (e.g. courgette spirals)
Plum tomatoes
Olive oil
Lemon juice
Honey
Basil
Pine nuts
Feta cheese


What I did:
  • Mix up a small amount of basil-oil dressing by tearing approximately 5-6 basil leaves and grinding it with enough extra-virgin olive oil to cover the leaves
  • Slice the tomatoes in half and drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes with a sprinkle of salt (add pepper too if you like - I hate pepper!) and then put them in the oven to roast for about 20 minutes. Half way through, throw in some pine nuts (these were an afterthought whilst cooking)
  • Meanwhile, cook your spaghetti as instructed on the packet and make some extra dressing to drizzle over the pasta
  • The extra dressing is made in the same way as the basil-oil dressing above except this time add extra basil and oil, and also add the juice of half a lemon for that zesty kick and a teaspoon of honey
  • Once your pasta is cooked, transfer to your favourite bowl, drizzle the dressing over the pasta being sure to expose every spaghetti strand possible to the dressing, then pour over your roasted tomatoes and pine nuts and top with feta cheese.

Ready for roasting
Making the extra dressing
adding the pine nuts to roast with the tomatoes
Gobbling it all up!
Later x

16 comments:

  1. Hello Colleen! When do you invite me for a lunch/dinner?!:) You are always an excellent chef and have to confess, the recipes are one of my fav topics from you! Btw, to be honest I didnt know about that gadget, well done on your new purchase! I share your thoughts and I would use it as you, not to substitute wheat-based pasta (as I do love it). Your whole wheat spaghetti looks soooo appetizing, even though Im going to sleep, I wish I had that plate in front of me, very good! Plus, I simply adore the care you put to display it. Hope you have a nice week ahead my dear, happy March too! Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaw thanks for your kind words about the photographs, especially since some of my friends and family don't appreciate why I take photos of my food ha ha x

      Delete
  2. My husband got a vitamix but don't think it has s spiral attachment. I am curious so might succumb but I am trying not to clutter. Plus I can't stop at one plate of carbs yet I can't finish a steak...this looks good I might need 3 plates!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, the size is a problem but I tried some courgetti today and definitely worth the investment, particularly if you do over-indulge in carbs and it's so easy to use.......and clean! x

      Delete
  3. I was looking at these spiralizers just a couple of weeks ago but was reluctant to buy another gadget as we have so many. Having said that, I do think we will probably succumb! Feta, pine nuts and tomatoes are three ingredients which I love and they go so well together. Definitely a dish for me! Thanks for the recipe and those very clear step by step instructions! Great photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss B, I've been reluctant to buy one for months for the same reason as you, but one more gadget won't hurt ha!

      Delete
  4. Oh my word, I feel so ignorant now :) Because I didn't know about this "spiralizers are great for cutting various fruit and vegetables into spaghetti-shaped spirals" :) I didn't even know about spiralizers! But now I am so glad you wrote this, so I can buy a spiralizer and I am eager to have courgette spaghetti since I read it on your blog, too! I must say, I will love the courgette spaghetti, I am sure (I love courgette), but this one that you prepared now is "wow" - I love basil (in big quantities!) and pines, and it looks divine!!!!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, nah not ignorant...I only found out about them on Instagram last year. I hope you enjoy a delicious recipe with it if you decide to buy one.

      Delete
  5. Dear Colleen, i got the same question like Lilli. can i come over for dinner to you? Your recipe looks alway so delicious an healthy at the same time. And i like all these ingredients. It´s a pity a have not this spiralizers, but for long time i got such a gadget on my kitchen-wish-list.
    And i agree with you, i´m also against cutting out the carbohydrates at a diat. Carbohydrates are very important fpr the brain. Lover your pictures, they are very appetizing. Wish you a relaxed week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cla. Hope you get to buy one soon. I'm testing it out this weekend.

      Delete
  6. Dear Colleen, honestly I was really surprised when I saw the spiraliziser here as I didn't know so far that such things are existing - I'm really a country bumpkin :) But I think it is really nice to own such a spiraliziser. Thank you for the recipe for the pasta as what you cooked is absolutely my taste. Like you I'm not a really vegetarian but I don't really like it to eat meat and therefore your recipe is wellcome to me :) Happy weekend to you!
    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Colleen, you were in my thoughts and I hope you are doing well. Wish you a wonderful rest of the week <3 xx Rena

      Delete
  7. Just popped by to say thank you very much for your comment. It must have been a treat being a student in London. You should definitely organise a visit so that you can wander around at your leisure doing a few touristy activities!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its almost arduous to argue with you. You positively put a brand new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx