Sunday, April 19, 2015

SPIRALIZER REVIEW

One of my new favourite kitchen gadgets


Lurch Spiralizer
Summer is synonymous with sandals, spaghetti-string/strapless tops, sunglasses, sea, sand, spritzers, and yes........salads. It’s the time of year when you substitute your lunch time soups and “comfort-food” dinners for, what some people consider, rabbit food.  I only started eating salads as a main meal (rather than as an accompaniment to a meal) after eating one at a restaurant last year and being somewhat impressed by the textures and flavours that hit my palate – I've enjoyed salads ever since but prior to that I couldn't understand why someone would choose a leafy, mundane salad as their meal of choice. Note: not all salads are made of leaves or mundane!

You may recall from a previous post that I replaced my handheld spiralizer gadget for a larger, safer, sturdier Lurch spiralizer about a month ago. My previous one was very small and fiddly and used to occasionally splice the skin on my fingers as well as the food. Inspired by the super-foodie-bloggers, I upgraded my spiralizer and if I’m honest, I’m quite frustrated I didn't upgrade sooner, especially since it was only £26! After the NutriBullet, this is definitely my favourite kitchen tool. It’s trouble-free to operate and clean, and although you have to make a 32cm x 25cm x 17cm space to store it, I think it allows you to enjoy fruit and vegetables in a more creative and fun way, which could also be an added benefit for fussy children. The gadget has three interchangeable blades (in integrated storage compartments) which allows you to create spirals, spaghetti or slices out of most fruit and vegetables - I've only used one of the blades so far to make courgette spirals, AKA coodles or courgetti.

This weekend I sliced a sirloin steak into strips (with a knife!) and created a coodles stir-fry, adding splashes of balsamic vinegar, pineapple juice and pineapple chunks; I loved the al dente texture of the coodles against the soft, succulent texture of the beef strips. This would work equally well with chicken, prawns, salmon and tofu, I guess.








Later x

18 comments:

  1. Hello Colleen! It would be my ideal kitchen too as well since Im a huge salad lover and in summer I do enjoy to have it and create new ones. I think you are very creative, I dont eat meat as you know but creating a kind of salad with steak too makes it appealing, Id love to try it with tofu instead. Courgetti spirals are also very nice to see :) Have a wonderful week ahead my dear, hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think tofu would work equally well with spiral vegetables and you can make great fruit salads too! x

      Delete
  2. As you know, I am vegetarian and salads are like that - definitely not mundane :) I am not the biggest salad fan, I must confess - unfortunately, I am into cookies and cakes :( But I know people need salad for many things. Reading your blog inspire me to have more salad, I told you before! And now I soooo much want this device! I am eager to have courgette spaghetti and this device would be of great help!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that, I wasn't a big salad fan until about last year so i'm always looking for ways to be creative with it.

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen. Great to hear, you upgraded your spiralizer. I got an eye on such a device since long time. Maybe your post is a sign for me, i should buy it at last. ;) I got a few c´very interesting vegan recipe with Zucchini as noodle replacement. And fpr this kind of Noodles i need a spiralizer. Thank you for remind me.:)
    Wish you a very great Week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love kitchen gadgets! I haven't bought a spiralizer yet, but I'm sure if I show this to the Mr, he'd want to get one. He can get more obsessed than me (his current obsession, and has been for the last 3 years, is to find the perfect flask; we have at least 10 at home and only two get to be used regularly, and he still hasn't found the perfect one). I like this dish, too! It looks scary to see the courgette stuck, but it looks so tempting and succulent as coodles. Now that's what you call metamorphosis :) Hope you're having a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes i love my kitchen gadgets too - hoping to get my all time sought after gadget at some point - an AGA ha ha! The Mr sounds hilarious. You're right the courgette does look a little strange; I think it's the way I took the photo because it looks less scary in the flesh hee hee x

      Delete
  5. Oh you killed me with this recipe. I need this gadget. Am so stucked with peas and sweetcorn. I love this,looks yum. Am gonna give it a try. Come live with me please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to give it a go - I think your kids would love it too.

      Delete
  6. Hi dear Colleen, now you inspired me really again, as I learned the last time from you about such spiralizers :) You were in my thoughts when l last week cook a dish with spiralized vegetables - which I prepared with the potato peeler, which was really an huge effort! And now I saw this wonderful spirals you made obviously so easy ... now I have something to thing again. Thanks for sharing your experience and I hope you are well.
    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I have problems with handheld peelers too - they are such an effort, aren't they? Thanks Rena x

      Delete
  7. I've had my eye on a spiraliser for what feels like ages but for some reason I can't seem to find one for less than $89 Canadian, which is an awful lot to spend on a kitchen gadget that only does one thing - at least I think. Still, those zucchini noodles look so tempting, I may just have to take the plunge!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciated this review as I have been so curious about this gadget and actually saw a chef using a similar one on TV last night. I'm impressed that it's your favourite after the Nutribullet and that you find it easy to operate and clean (important!) Now do we have room for one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really appreciated this review as I have been so curious about this gadget and actually saw a chef using a similar one on TV last night. I'm impressed that it's your favourite after the Nutribullet and that you find it easy to operate and clean (important!) Now do we have room for one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great introduction to one of this year's must have kitchen gadgets!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,

    Indeed a good post, And I believe having a Spiralizer in our all important kitchen is crucial as it helps us cook the best food for our family by making cutting and chopping easy, we can prepare food very quickly, so that's why we need the best Spiralizer, and recently I have purchased one of the top Spiralizers available, because i want to make best food by making cutting easy with the best Spiralizer.
    By the way, Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,

    Indeed a good post, And I believe having a Spiralizer in our all important kitchen is crucial as it helps us cook the best food for our family by making cutting and chopping easy, we can prepare food very quickly, so that's why we need the best Spiralizer, and recently I have purchased one of the top Spiralizers available, because i want to make best food by making cutting easy with the best Spiralizer.
    By the way, Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx