Sunday, April 12, 2015

THE WAREHOUSE CAFE

A Restaurant Review







Why am I smiling in the photo above? Because my belly is full! I was invited by a dear friend for lunch the other day; he’s a vegan and a fellow foodie who gets equally excited about food and eating as I do. We dined at The Warehouse Café, an award-winning, buzzing, but unpretentious, little vegan/vegetarian-friendly (it also has lots of gluten-free options) independent restaurant in the up and coming area of Digbeth, which is in the heart of Birmingham. It's not located in the most prominent of spaces unfortunately; the area is undergoing regeneration and the cafe is nestled away on the first floor of a converted period building (formerly a warehouse) so you could easily miss it if you were not looking for it or aware it even existed. Running a local business myself, I do like to support other local businesses so I'm glad I found out about it, especially as they share some of the same values as me. If you're interested, check out their website to find out more about their commitment to sustainability, from using fresh local produce to using a bicycle courier for deliveries!

There are very few places, in Birmingham anyway, that cater specifically for vegetarians and vegans, and it’s so refreshing to be able to sit down and scan the menu without having to listen to my herbivore friends moaning about the limited choice of dishes on offer or asking the waiter/waitress for a modified vegetarian-friendly dish to what is on the menu. 

THE HEALTH BIT
Most of you will know that I do not follow a strict vegetarian/vegan diet, I enjoy my meat, fish and poultry far too much for that, however, I do adopt a healthy eating regime that incorporates plant-based foods.  Plant-based foods include vegetables, cooked dry beans and peas, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and seeds. A plant-based diet has been widely researched and promoted for its health benefits; the general benefits include that it is probably lower in cholesterol and lower in saturated fat, depending on food choices. It may be lower in calories, and if you eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains, it may be higher in fibre, which may help lower cholesterol levels and help with heart disease prevention. It may also be lower in sodium (salt).

One of the benefits of eating in vegetarian restaurants, in my opinion, is that you can get inspiration from the menu and try to reproduce some of the delicious dishes at home. I’m definitely going to try making some home-made falafel and lentil daal, that’s for sure, and one can only hope they turn out as tasty as the ones I had at The Warehouse Cafe. I’m always interested to hear about other places like The Warehouse Café so if you know of any around your neck of the woods let me know so I can make an excuse to visit! I guess it’s at this point I should disclaim that I paid for the meal myself and there is no collaboration with the Café.

Falafels for starters

Lentil daal curry and roti bread with a yoghurt dip for mains


Vegan chocolate cake with vegan ice cream for dessert (gluten-free option available)

Later x

13 comments:

  1. Hola guapa..te acabo de conocer¿quieres que nos sigamos por GFC? me encantaría,te espero en:http://sonymingoss.blogspot.com.es/
    Besos!
    TRèS ChIC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Colleen! First of all, congrats on the new look of the blog, wow its gorgeous and so professional, love it! Well done! As you know, Im vegetarian, even though sometimes eat sushi, salmon or other kind of fish. I often complain about the lack of vegetarian places here in my city so this one looks so great and for sure Id love to try it too. Yummy, I do love falafels as well, one of my favs!:) You are so beautiful and cheerful in the pic, love your smile!

    Hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words hun. I can imagine how frustrating it can be when you are limited with vegetarian places - there aren't many in Birmingham either. x

      Delete
  3. looks delicious.

    I have been toying with the idea of veganism for my own personal reasons but am finding it too hard. I am trying to minimize meat though and eat only when I know it's provenance but that is harder than it sounds...

    Interestingly in Korean food one is mostly vegetarian and meat is for special occasions so I am thinking I need to eat korean food to make it easier bc salads are just too boring! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow vegan, yes I can imagine that would take a bit of getting used to - I'd struggle with a strictly vegetarian diet, let alone vegan. How interesting about meat being only for special occasion in Korea - id love to see one of your Korea recipes. I didn't start eating salads until last year - I think you just haven't found the right salad *wink*, but i do have to be in the mood for salad x

      Delete
  4. OMG, dear Colleen, thank you soooo much for this post! Not only you look amazing, I love your haircut and the boots, the jumper (great color!), but you showed me an address that I really will visit! You know I live very close to Birmingham and I am a vegetarian since childhood, so that is the right place for me! I have already announced it :) better saying shared to two people even before leaving the comment, so happy I am! I love lentils and all you showed looks great! Miam miam, thank you again for that!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw you're welcome and I hope you can visit when in Birmingham. Do book though as it gets really busy!

      Delete
  5. Dear Colleen, i´m like Coulda. I would like to eat only vegan food, but it´s not so easy for my. Sometimes my body want burgers. ;) But i eat not so much meat, just a few times at month. Your Dinner looks very delicious and i think i need a walk to me refrigerator. ;)
    Your outfit is fantastic and i´m in love with the bag and the boots. But your best accessories is your beautiful smile.
    Wish you a very nive week, dear Colleen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly cutting down on my meat and trying to opt for the best quality meat when I do eat it. Thank you Cla.

      Delete
  6. BTW: Your new blog-outfit is great too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh thanks, just a bit of experimenting.

      Delete
  7. Dear Colleen,
    when my belly is full, I love, too! You look radiant and really beautiful on the pictures and I love what you wear - it fits also perfect to you and your style <3 Obviously this was a good vegan restaurant and I would love to eat there, too. Here in the Bavarian country side we don't have such kind of restaurants although it would be a pleasure for me to visit them as I would also like to get inspirations there :) Like you I'm not a vegetarian or vegan but as I don't really like meat (and in the last time my family neither) I cook very often dishes without meat. Hope you had an enjoying weekend so far!
    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena
    International Giveaway: Zatchels Bag as Thank-You for the Supporter of my Hobby
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx