Sunday, May 10, 2015

FATTY SALAD

and new cherry-blossom, salmon coloured booties





For approximately 2-4 weeks, we've been treated to scenic views of pretty cherry blossom tree-lined streets. These same cherry blossoms instigated my recent shoe purchase: a pair of blush pink leather peep-toe booties from Dune.

This weekend I noticed the majority of cherry blossom flowers had fallen from their trees and littered the streets, and my back garden - a clear sign that spring has been and gone and summer temperatures are well on the way; it’s nearly time to really get our skin out girls! *gasp*

As a nutritionist, you’ll know I’m a firm believer that what we put into our bodies reflects not only in our general wellbeing, but in our skin as well. Of course there are no special foods that guarantee you that summery healthy glow and clear complexion, however, I am an advocate of consuming a good portion of healthy fats as part of a varied and balanced diet to support good skin health - not all fats are the enemy! For this reason, I often make my ‘fatty salad’ to take to work for lunch; a quick, easy and tasty salad full of all my favourite healthy fats, which are rich in mono-unsaturated and/or the polyunsaturated omega 3 fats, and does not include freakin' coconut oil might I add: salmon; avocado; nuts (toasted pine nuts and almonds); omega seed mix; and extra-virgin olive oil (I made an olive oil-based dressing using white wine vinegar and dijon mustard). 

There’s no recipe as such; I’d suggest just adding any of the above sources of healthy fats to your own salad, or if you’re not a salad person, just add them to your favourite meals - I sometimes add a hard boiled egg if time allows too! In the words of Madeleine Shaw………..#GetTheGlow





 Later x

8 comments:

  1. Hello Colleen! First of all, Im in love with your new purchase, those peep-toe booties are way too stunning and suit you so good, well done!! And regarding the fatty salad it looks very tasty and yummy, the ingredients you used are very good and Id like to try it, now that summer is approaching Im going to eat more fresh salad too. Many kisses and have a great week ahead Coleen! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I tend to eat more salads at this time of year too x

      Delete
  2. Hi, dear Colleen! First of all, the cherry blossom trees and flowers falling down, yes, summer is arriving! I am looking forward to reading where you will go this summer! Then, the beautiful booties, they are really lovely! Such a great purchase, elegant booties! And then the amazing salad! I don't eat salmon, but I loooove avocado and pine nuts (and olive oil, very much!) I will remember your words as a nutritionist and will try to eat salads more often. I am doing fine till now, eating them kind of 3 to 4 times a week.... I was always a fussy eater, unfortunately. But I am glad I started eating avocado regularly and to know that it makes skin glow, thanks for the information! I love reading about good food facts here!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love avocado but I can never eat it on its own, always has to be part of a salad/meal.

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen,
    Yes summer is in the air and we can smell all these beautiful flowers. To see all these blossoms are great for my soul. And for my body and of course for my skin I try to eat health to. I'm not scary about "good" fats and enjoy avocados, almonds, Saloms. Your salad looks really delicious.

    And I'm in love with your new peep toes Booties. I like this color for shoes, they matches so many outfits. Great purchase. Wish you fantastic week dear Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in love with this colour too - I've just bought a duster coat in this colour as well. Glad you enjoy your good fats!

      Delete
  4. Dear Colleen, congratulations to your new shoes and your wonderful backyard! I can imagine that you will wear your new cherry blossom booties very often during this summer as they are so beautiful and I'm sure also very versatile. Thanks for the "recipe" for the salad, absolutely my taste, not only because I believe in the same things like you do and which you mentioned here. Hope you had a wonderful week so far!
    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rena - hope you have a great week too!

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx