Sunday, June 14, 2015

DIET & STYLE PROFILE

An Interview with Genelle Aldred.


One minute I’m watching the lovely Genelle Aldred on my TV screen, the next minute we are following each other on social media and liking each other’s posts; this eventually led me to attending one of the events she was speaking at recently. It was a great talk and she was so inspirational in terms of her beliefs, ambitions and success, I just had to find out more about her; I decided to ask her to do my Diet & Style Profile and she happily obliged. 

Name: Genelle Aldred

How can people network with you?  
Twitter: @genellealdred
Instagram: @genellealdred

Age or age category:  Early thirties

Where do you call home? Birmingham

What is your occupation? TV Presenter

What are your hobbies? Reading, shopping, cooking and eating

Favourite quote? "My mission in life is not merely to survive, and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humour and some style."  – Maya Angelou

Guilty Pleasure? Watching too much TV


HEALTH & NUTRITION

What is a typical day’s diet for you? It depends on where I am and what I’m doing. I might be travelling away from home and in my job there are lots of social events. They make it hard to plan at times.  Plus I love food so I’m not a stickler. But I always have breakfast. That is typical, I never miss it.

What is/are your healthy food staple/s? Turkey and Mackerel, fresh fruit and veg. I really like juicing and Nutribullet drinks too.


 What is your food vice? I love beefburgers, with all the trimmings and fried chicken!

Can you describe your physical activity regime? I try to exercise three times a week. I enjoy road running  and gym classes, especially body pump. When I’m away from home or doing lots of engagements it can be hard to fit that in. But I want to stay fit, it’s important to me, because you actually improve your quality and hopefully longevity of life by looking after your body.

What is your favourite recipe? I have too many…! I think my family and friends would say my lasagne, jerk chicken and cakes. I make my all my sauces from scratch for the lasagne and Jamaican jerk sauce. When I have time I make my own pasta too. I love it.

Where is your favourite place to eat? Piccolinos in Bridleyplace is somewhere I love. I went to Opus in Birmingham the other day and loved it. Sabai Sabai in Harborne was great too! Then I have my favourite London places. Basically I like places that serve good food!


Can you offer any healthy lifestyle advice/tips? I’m trying to be consistent with my exercise even when I’m busy and especially when I feel lazy. If I push myself when I don’t want to it feels a million times better than normal. I used to try lots of faddy diets and they never work. I’m now focussing on trying to make changes that I can keep up with, so delicious food that is good for you. I'm cutting out as many processed sugars as I can.

Is there anyone you follow for health inspiration? A family friend, my mothers god daughter in fact. Her body is insane and she’s about to launch her personal training company. I also love Instagram, there are loads of healthy people on there with great recipes and exercises!


FASHION & STYLE

How would you describe your personal style? Eclectic…

Do you have a wardrobe staple? No I like to mix it up

Where do you like to shop? Various places

What has been one of your biggest fashion splurges? A Dolce and Gabbana handbag, it lasted me years.

Can you offer any style tips? For work, dress for the job you want not the one you have. It’s always better to be over-dressed rather than under-dressed. And if it’s not quite right in the mirror, don’t wear it out you’ll feel uncomfortable. Finally, wear heels you can manage, walking around like a newborn calf is not a sophisticated look.


 Is there a current fashion trend that you are rocking or would like to rock?  It’s always white and pastels in the summer so I’ll be wearing those. I also love culottes, I remember them being a child and a few years ago. I’m glad they are back.

Who or what inspires you in terms of fashion and style? I love Solange Knowles' style… super stylish.  Isabel Marant is so effortlessly cool too. I love New York and Parisian style - very chic.


Thank you Genelle x

7 comments:

  1. Morning Colleen! I had no idea about her but Ive really enjoyed the interview as she looks like a great and so inspiring person. Ive noticed we have many things in common, especially I agree with her about breakfast in fact is the most important meal of the day for me and never skip it; I also try to be regular on exercising too. Love her style tips too, thats why I dont wear heels too much lol!:) Well done Colleen, has been an inspiring reading this morning. Have a wonderful week! Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I'm such a breakfast person but there are so many people who do not eat breakfast at all x

      Delete
  2. Such a great interview and so good things to learn! She is gorgeous, and I may have seen her already, cause I watch ITV very much :) That is so good that you are following each other, and that she is so nice! I loved one of the quotes - I am always looking for quotes for inspiration and motivation and that by Maya Angelou (another lady that inspires me very much) is fantastic - living with some passion, compassion and humour! And the tip she gave, Opus restaurant in Birmingham, sounds great - I will visit it one day! Loved the interview, thanks for sharing it! (Ah, by the way, I am proud to tell you that I've lost 4 kg! Thanks for the motivation - although you may not know about it, a lot came from your healthy habits!)
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeeeaah! That's fab news Denise, thank you. Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen, what a great and interesting interview. I never heard about Genelle Aldred, but what she is saying is very interesting and in so many Issues i agree with her.All my meals are important for me, but i also never skip the breakfast. My body need this basic in the morning. Exercise is also important for me and my body need it too.
    I´m glad for you and Genelle for following each other. You guys have absolute the same interests. Thank you for sharing the Interview. i really like to read about Healthy living.
    Wish you a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it's always nice to meet people with the same interests as you, isn't it.........

      Delete
  4. What an interesting interview and I agree with so many of these responses. So true about the heels! As much as I love them, I try to only wear a height that I can comfortably (and hopefully elegantly!) walk in. Piccolino in Liverpool just happens to be a restaurant which we often choose too and the Maya Angelou is a favourite quote of mine!

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx