Sunday, June 28, 2015

OVERNIGHT OATS

Wake up happy.


You've heard of these, right? Overnight oats? They’re nothing new amongst the wellness food blogger community. They've been one of my breakfast choices for over a year now, and I really enjoy making them the night before ready to eat the morning after - I'm not sure why I didn't post my version of the recipe sooner! With wholesome ingredients such as oats, chia seeds, milk, natural yoghurt and fruit, they’re nutrient dense as well as being easy to make and filling; I also find them to be a really refreshing alternative to hot porridge, particularly at this time of year when you wake up on a warm and muggy morning after an uncomfortably hot and sticky night’s sleep – hhhhmm hot and sticky because of the summer weather I mean!

What I Used:
-1 small pot of full fat natural yoghurt
-200mls of unsweetened soya milk (I find it gives a slighter sweeter taste compared to cows milk)
-A handful of oats
-2 tablespoons of chia seeds (gives it a fibre boost)
-A dash of nutmeg
-Grated/shredded granny smith apple (or any apple really but I find these to be the sweetest (yes I have a sweet tooth)
-Any fruit of your choice for the topping (I used blueberries in this instance)





 What I Did:
-Pour the yoghurt into a mixing bowl and add the milk. Stir until completely smooth.

-Add the oats, chia seeds, nutmeg and apple and mix into the yoghurt and milk mixture. You may want to add some extra milk at this stage if it is too glutinous

-Cover the bowl of mixture with some cling film and put in the fridge overnight

-Eat the remaining apple that you didn't use

-Go to bed and wake up excited to have your breakfast creation, but don’t forget to add your favourite fruit on top and maybe a little drizzle of milk if it’s overly thick and creamy!

- You could put them in your favourite Mason jar if you like and you've got 'breakfast on the go'!





Later x

16 comments:

  1. Hello Colleen! Wish I tried it too, you know that, even though I know this kind of breakfast, I still havent had it. I usually have green tea with an apple, almonds and goji berries every mornings, but this solution is much yummier and scrumptious. Lol, u made me laugh when u wrote wake up happy u have the breakfast done :P Have a good week ahead my dear, hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't take much to please me ha ha x

      Delete
  2. What a great idea to be able to wake up to a ready-made healthy breakfast and your gorgeous photos really make everything look so appetising. I must admit I've never tried soya milk but we do use chia seeds and have just bought a huge bag of them! Enjoy this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes soya milk does have a distinct but very pleasant taste! You have a good week too!

      Delete
  3. So healthy! The Mr always go for overnight oats in winter. He's Irish descent so his oatmeal must be an Irish brand. It's so filling. I'm not a fan of oats though. I prefer granola mixed with yogurt, honey, and blueberries. As for chia seeds, I spray it on my face. Hahaha. I know, sounds weird. But I've learnt that from Naomi of Coulda Shoulda Woulda. It's a Korean beauty thing. Not sure if it helps me, but I take it's placebo effect. Have a lovely week ahead xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love me some granola, especially homemade, in fact I posted my recipe on Instagram a while back. I think I remember reading that actually on Naomi's blog - well she did say Koreans have great skin so if it's not making it worse......go girl! x

      Delete
  4. "Eat the remaining apple you didn't use" is nice :) I am struggling, I told you, to eat in a healthier way. Apple is not my favorite fruit, but I like it. I like yogurt very much and your recipe is very good, because you said it's filling. I will try it, because I want to go on with the good work - got 2 lbs back last week... need to go on with the good work! Thanks for the nice recipe!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I always find I have half an apple left lol. You don't have to use apple - any fruit that you prefer would work I'm sure. Don't let the 2lb get you down Denise, just re-focus on what you need to do differently this week - write it down if needs be and I always find keeping food diaries help to keep people on track initially. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Dear Colleen,your overnight oats sounds yummy and healthy at the same time. And you fix me up to try this recipe to. In winter i prefer warm porridge or Quinoa. But at the hot season i like Oats to. every two weeks i make my on mixture with: Oats, sesame seeds, cranberries, coconut flakes, and almonds or nuts. for 15 minutes into the oven and ready for the next days. Topping with fresh fruit every morning.

    Your reccipe with chia seeds its a perfect alternative for a healthy breakfast. Thank you and have a great, sunny week. Cla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I like my warm porridge in the winter too. Aaah yes that sounds like a nice granola mix you are describing there - would go perfect with some Greek yoghurt yum!

      Delete
  6. Dear Colleen, one of my colleagues told me already so often how yummy this kind of oats for breakfast is. Honestly I didn't try it so far but what you show here sounds and looks so convincing that I really should do it :) Thanks for sharing and congratulations for the beautiful pictures - they are even better in the most of the cookbooks! Hope you are well, dear Colleen. Wish you a happy week
    xx Rena
    International Giveaway: Bags are More Than Fun for Me
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw thanks for the kind words about the photos x

      Delete
  7. your photos are just perfection! always makes me hungry :-) and you have such a great style but also your writing is so interesting!! defentlt gonna try to make those oats for night :) Have a great day hun..

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosita - still working out how to use my darn camera!

      Delete
  8. Your photos are awesome. Awesome presentation. I just wanna eat this straight away. I need you on instagram asap! I hope all is well. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun, I'm well thank you. I tend to instagram food but sometimes I forget to take the photo before I eat it ha ha x

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx