Sunday, July 19, 2015

DIET & STYLE PROFILE

An interview with Nichola Whitehead


The lovely Nichola Whitehead is the editor behind the highly successful and award-winning food and health blog, Nic’s Nutrition. Nichola’s no-nonsense nutritious recipes and healthy lifestyle tips have amassed her thousands of followers, and unlike many other bloggers she interacts with her large audience in an attempt to help and motivate them to practise healthful behaviours – Nichola even features her reader’s ‘Nic’s Nutrition’ recipe creations on her blog.

Having followed Nichola for some time on Twitter, we eventually met briefly at a nutrition conference in London where she shared her love of disseminating evidence-based nutrition messages via her blog and social media platforms. I’m always inspired by credible health bloggers and therefore wanted to find out more about Nic; I decided to interview her as part of my Diet & Style Profile series.



How can people network with you?  Blog: www.nicsnutrition.co.uk
                                                             Twitter: @nicsnutrition
                                                             Facebook: Nics Nutrition
                                                             Instagram: Nics Nutrition
                                                             YouTube: Nics Nutrition 
Age or age category: 29

Where do you call home? Leeds, UK

What is your Occupation? Registered Dietitian

What are your hobbies/interests? Healthy food, holidays and being with friends & family - and I’m also in the middle of renovating a house which is taking up a considerable amount of my time (making my house a home is a new hobby for me!)

Favourite quote? It’s not about diets, it’s about a way of life.

Guilty Pleasure? Britney Spears!

HEALTH & NUTRITION

What inspired you to write a food/health blog, and what do you think fuelled your success? Having read health and beauty blogs for years I wanted to ‘give something back’ and I was also tired of reading extreme/unhealthy nutrition advice online (written by unqualified people!) and wanted to help people with honest advice - there’s no fad diets on my blog! I think my blog’s success has been down to social media and word of mouth - creating good content that people want to read and share!

What is a typical day’s diet for you? I’ll start my day with either a protein smoothie (frozen banana, milk, whey protein and spinach - you can’t taste the spinach!!) or porridge made with milk and topped with banana, berries and cinnamon and then I’ll have fruit/nuts/naked bars as a snack and then I’ll have a salad with crackers at lunch and something like sweet potato with salmon and roasted vegetables on an evening. I like to snack on peanut butter and dark chocolate after work and on an evening as well as berries with yoghurt, honey & cacao nibs!

What is/are your healthy food staple/s? I couldn’t live without oats, frozen berries, bananas & chicken (not eaten altogether!!)

What is your food vice? Peanut butter.. by the spoon!

Can you describe your physical activity regime? I work out Monday to Friday for between 15 and 30 minutes (depending on how long I snooze for!!) and follow videos from the TIU girls and girl from Fitness Blender! I also try to walk 10,000 steps a day and track them using my Misfit.

What is your favourite recipe? I love making baked sweet potato with oven baked chicken marinated in yoghurt & herbs served with a salad drizzled with oil, lemon juice, salt & black pepper! For dessert nothing beats my protein fudge!!

My version of Nic's Nutrition Protein Fudge
Where is your favourite place to eat and why? I love Nourish (in Sheffield and now Leeds) because EVERYTHING on the menu is ‘good for you’!! I also like Pret a Manger because of the salad options.

Can you offer any healthy lifestyle advice/tips in a nutshell? Don’t deny yourself anything - I live by the 80/20 rule where nothing is banned - if you eat healthily 80% of the time then you can eat whatever you want for the other 20%!

Is there anyone you follow for health inspiration? I love Helen West (dietitian), Zanna Van Dijk and Simon from The Diet Kitchen!


FASHION & STYLE 


How would you describe your personal style? My style is ‘comfy’ but ‘put together’ - I love jersey body con dresses as well as the Topshop Joni jeans - they are easy to wear but look good!

Do you have a wardrobe staple? Black leggings because they require no ironing and are comfy!

Where do you like to shop? I love ASOS and also my friend Em’s shop LVNDR.co.uk!

What has been one of your biggest fashion splurges? Probably my Raybans!

What piece of clothing or accessory are you saving up for? In all honesty, nothing at the moment!! I’m focussing on pieces for the house!!

Can you offer any fashion or style tips? Follow bloggers I have bought so many pieces of clothing after seeing bloggers wearing them - it’s great. Hassle free shopping!

Who or what inspires you in terms of fashion and style? I love Em Sheldon on Instagram!

Thank you Nichola x

10 comments:

  1. Hello Colleen! I never heard of her before and is a truly lovely discover as she is so great and inspiring, besides being so wonderful. I didnt know the 80/20 rule but is something I do as well. PEanut butter is one of my big weakness too, I like the kind of style she prefer is also the one I like, you know I always prefer to be comfy :) Have to check out her blog soon. Have a nice week ahead dear, hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the 80/20 rule is a realistic regime to go by. I love almond butter more so x

      Delete
  2. That's a great interview, dear Colleen! You and Nic truly inspired me - my favorite answers (if I can say so) are "It’s not about diets, it’s about a way of life", which I am tryyyying so much to achieve, and that her style is "comfy, but put together", what I usually identify myself with. I think I am much better now, doing the 80/20 rule, which makes me feel better and I will think of Nourish to eat next time I got to Leeds/Sheffield! I really really loved the interview! Hope you have a very nice week!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, yes it's a great mantra to go by - diets are too short term!

      Delete
  3. "I'm not on diat, it's a way of life" is a good sentence and what I "try" to live too! Peanut butter with jelly and dark chocolate is one of my biggest weakness too. Beside gummy bears. ;) Nicholas 80/20 is my 70/30, but I work on it. I swear! Nicholas interview is very interesting, i like to check out her blog.
    Since a few weeks I follow fitness video at YouTube. It's a great alternative to my normal gym routine and I love the fitness program of the Victoria secret angels.
    Thank you for this very informative interview, dear Colleen. Very motivated! Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha yes I've heard some advocating the 70/30 rule too - proof it's not a one size fits all and certainly seems to work for you! Great idea about the fitness videos on YouTuube, I'll have to check them out!

      Delete
  4. An interesting interview and I like the 80/20 rule (which I'm sure you have mentioned here) as it allows my favourite sweet treats! Nourish sounds like a restaurant worth trying. I imagine they might at some point open more of them in different cities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we need a few more restaurants like that in Birmingham!

      Delete
  5. Colleen.. you are so talnted!!! what a great interview! it's so interesting for me how your blog discovers me new people and agendas. I don't do diets which I think is pretty good, but my nutrition is so bad and full of junk food , sweets and diet coke that I have to embrace the 80/20 rule!

    have a great week ,

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw thanks Ros, yes the 80/20 rule is good regime to embrace.

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx