Sunday, July 12, 2015

SUMMER HYDRATION

Sparkling water on tap, thanks to the Sodastream



I’m sure my parents won’t mind me telling you this, but when I was younger, during my teens, dinner was typically served with a glass of fizzy soda such as Ginger Beer, Coke or Sprite. A lot has changed in that household since I went to university to study nutrition; the family made a pact to cut down on sugary sweetened beverages (SSBs). Fast forward a decade and the plight to reduce SSBs has gone global. Public policy initiatives to reduce sugar consumption are the subject of current national and international debate and a variety of reports have made a consistent and compelling case for a reduction in the nation’s/world’s sugar intake. According to research published in the journal Circulation, consumption of sugary drinks may lead to an estimated 184,000 adult deaths each year worldwide.

Sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs) are defined as sugar-sweetened fizzy soft drinks (not ‘diet’ sodas), fruit drinks/cordial, sports/energy drinks and sweetened iced/fruit teas. 100% pure fruit juices contain natural sugars, rather than added sugar, but it’s a sugar with calories nonetheless (juices are also acidic which may harm the teeth); juices do, however, contain some vitamins and minerals and therefore offer some nutritional value compared to sugar-sweetened sodas such as coke. It’s recommended that consumption of fruit juice is limited to one small 150ml glass daily at mealtimes. So what does this leave us with to drink regularly throughout the day, which won’t affect our waistline or our teeth? Well, still water, sparkling water, fruit/tea infused water, and did I say water?

I've never really lost my liking for carbonated drinks from my childhood days, and while I’ll very occasionally have a glass of coke or lemonade, I tend to satisfy my taste for fizz with sparkling water (okay okay and a drop of Prosecco), and the rest of the time I tend to drink still water. Up until this weekend I would buy bottles of sparkling water, but I decided to invest in a Sodastream so that I have sparking water on tap - another gadget to take up space in the kitchen! I love it; it's quick and easy to use, however, there are two things to be mindful of if and when you buy it: 1) the home carbonator comes with bottles of flavoured juices which contain sugar; 2) I didn't realise this but once you use up the gas which is included with your purchase, you have to buy another gas cylinder each time the gas runs out, which costs £9 and reportedly lasts approximately one month, depending on how often you use it of course! 

I flavoured my sparkling water with cucumber, lime and mint.                






Later x

16 comments:

  1. Hello Colleen! Ah, you make me feel guilty as I still love to indulge in a glass of fizzy soda too during dinner, especially now in summer I have more desire to drink it. Love sparkling water and I cant stay away from it,my fault! So this would be the perfect gadget for me, have seen many times and always curious of how it works and then how the water tastes. Love how you customized it, more refreshing and health!:) Have a wonderful week ahead my dear, hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water tastes fine once it is carbonated and even better once you add some fruit to infuse in it x

      Delete
  2. I am just terrible lately with water - i know i am deyhdrated and just cant seem to get there. I testsed myself last year and i am severly deydrated and just cant catch up. It's hard for me to drink a full bottle and yet why can i drink so much junk!! i will try and add something to make it more fun - like gin hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheeky monkey ha and don't forget your fluid intake doesn't just have to be made up of just water: teas, coffees, herbal drinks,cordials (preferably sugar free) all count. xx

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen.
    It's great you changes the eating routine of your family. I did the same with my mother. Today we know more about healthy living and healthy food.
    If I was younger I drunk much sparking water, but now I prefer without. The only time I drink coke is if I eat Pizza. I don't know why.
    The sodastream Sounds interesting and of course it's easy to handle. Your dink with cucumber looks very refreshing. Thank you for introducing this product.
    Wish you a very relaxed week dear Colleen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny, the only time I drink coke is when I indulge in a portion of chips!

      Delete
  4. I can relate to you, dear Colleen, with dinner with a glass of Coke or Sprite or similar. I drink a lot of water for years now, I would say 20 :) Purely because I like the feel of it, not the taste, but to drink water, I don't know how to explain, but I am sure you understand! I like sparkling water too :) And £9 a month for the cylinder is OK, better than buying a bottle. I have a friend who has a machine like that (maybe not the same) and she loves it! I love the tips you give!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes initially I was shocked by the £9 but it still works out cheaper than regularly buying bottles of sparkling water. Thanks Denise.

      Delete
  5. Got the same gadget :) I usually just add lemons or limes. Sometimes, I make iced or cold tea instead. I brew 5-6 bags then put them in a gym flask, then chill it. I sometimes bring it to work when it's a really hot day. I'm quite good in hydrating myself coz probably I naturally sweat immediately and a lot especially when exercising, so I constantly drink. The one immediate effect when my water intake is not adequate is I bloat. That's a sign of dehydration. So drink as much as I require! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool that you have this gadget too, can't believe it took me so long to buy it. I usually look at my urine colour to assess my hydration levels - hope that's not too much information! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey hun.. you are such a talented photographer! love the fresh unique falver of mint too !!! unfortunately I don't drink water.. only diet coke - health and me are not buddies:)

    Have a great weekend,

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  8. PERFECT post as usuall dear :) how has your summer been so far ???

    Check out my new travel post....Visit magical Brännö island :)

    have a wonderful weekend .

    LOVE Maria Inredning - it's Swedish for decor

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Colleen, this is very interesting that you still like such drinks and you had them in your childhood! I remember that drinking in my childhood had not the significance than nowadays but mostly we drank home-made juice with water. In my own family we drink since our children are little only water from the tab with the meals (or tea) and between the meals the children have some applespritzer but also often water. But the recipe you introduce here sounds very yummy and I think is a very good alternative to the usual water and tea we habe :) Thanks for that and a happy weekend for you!
    xx Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! I absolutely love these type of fresh drinks :)
    WritingMonique

    ReplyDelete
  11. I vaguely remember my parents having a Soda Stream when I was a teenager, I think. The only time I drink coke is the occasional glass when I'm on holiday. As a result, it immediately makes me think of holidays in the sun! Lately, I have been making a special effort to drink more water ( I find it so boring!!) and adding lime, cucumber and mint does help! I've even bought a fruit-infusing bottle (which is not really necessary!) so that there's water always ready in the fridge. Your photos, as always, are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my type of water to drink with fruits or veggies Hi Colleen.

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx