Sunday, August 30, 2015

BANANA ICE CREAM

Who cares that's it approaching the end of summer!


You mop up the last bit of gravy from your Sunday dinner and thoughts move to the next course as you sip on your Prosecco, well that’s how it goes where I was brought up. It’s always been a household tradition to have dessert after Sunday dinner and me being a dessert lover has maintained this tradition since childhood; most of the time it’s home-made, other times I have to credit the supermarket.

Last weekend I realised I hadn't bought a pudding and was left stuck for ideas on what to rustle up……..okay I was just too lazy to think of or make anything. It was when I was sitting down, skimming through the Sunday paper’s magazine that I noticed a recipe for a quick and effortless ice cream using simply frozen bananas; this quickly prompted me to walk my way to the kitchen. It was a recipe I had successfully tried once last year and for some reason - despite the delicious taste, ease appeal and the fact I always have a freezer full of bananas for my smoothies - I never really thought to make again.

Whilst savouring each mouthful of my slightly amended version of the recipe and nodding with appreciation at what I had concocted, I confirmed to myself, ‘this is for the blog!’, so here it is: home-made ice cream without the lashings of cream and sugar and that does not require a fiddly, space consuming ice cream maker -  you will however need a good food processor that blends ice! If you love sweet, creamy puddings, I challenge you to not lick your lips and kick yourself for not making more after tasting this.

WHAT I USED
3 frozen bananas to serve two (best to slice them into 1 inch rounds before freezing for at least 8 hours)
2 tablespoons of milk
I teaspoon of coconut oil
1 teaspoon of almond butter
A sprig of mint (optional garnish, although I eat it)
A handful of crushed pecans



 WHAT I DID
-Add the sliced frozen bananas, milk, coconut oil and almond butter to the food processor and blend until smooth

-Spoon the mixture into your favourite dessert bowls and sprinkle on the crushed pecans and garnish with mint

If you’re planning to photograph it, you’ll have to be quick before it melts, like mine did!





Later x

16 comments:

  1. Good evening Colleen! Oh, your household tradition is very nice! Actually, I have a similar one but after the Sun lunch, especially in winter!:P Let me tell you how much love this recipe, being a sweet lover as well and never think something similar, make me want to try it soon. Seems pretty easy and quick to make, plus also halthy. The pecans also add a yummy crunchy taste, very scrumptious!:) Well done Colleen! Have a nice week dear, hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very easy and quick, just don't forget to freeze the bananas! x

      Delete
  2. Mmm, delicious and nutritious, dear Colleen! I don't eat bananas, like, as a fruit, pure, but desserts with bananas I always love - I don't know why :) But it's true! So I am sure this ice-cream was great and with pecans, mmm, I want it! I love ice-creams, so I love to test new recipes - and this one is practical, with frozen bananas! I never tried it, but I will, guaranteed! Thanks for the lovely recipe! Hugs and kisses and a lovely week!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of just eating bananas either, but like you I love banana in desserts (banoffe pie being one of my favourites) and banana flavoured food and drink x

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen, we have the same tradition at home. We always eat dessert after dinne. The most time cake or pudding. At summertime of course icecream. I never made icecream by my self, because i thought, it's to difficult for me lazy person. But your recipe sounds easy to do. Icecream with nuts is a great combination. I will try this for sure.
    Wish you a fantastic week dear Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember watching James Martin make ice cream from frozen bananas a while ago on TV and thinking it was such a great idea. However, I didn't actually get around to having a go. Your photos have inspired me and I imagine that the addition of pecans will give it an extra flavour boost and texture too! Better put some sliced bananas in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the pecans give a nutrition and flavour boost and gives the ice cream a great texture especially when it starts to melt! x

      Delete
  5. I have the same thought whenever I manage to concoct something too hehehehe! I'd really love to give this recipe a go, though I hate bananas so I might try substituting it for frozen berries or mango.

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frozen berries and mango would work equally well - maybe more like a sorbet unless you add yoghurt x

      Delete
  6. Dear Colleen, I'm honest, now my mouth is watering! I'm convinced this recipe is very yummy and now I'm thinking about how and where I can get today bananas and coconut oil. In my opinion this recipe is a wonderful and obviously very healthy alternative for ice cream or desserts with cream and/or fat :) Thanks for sharing and it made me smile that you can't neither imagine a Sunday without dessert as I prepare also mostly for our family a dessert on Sunday. Hope you are well and you are looking forward to the weekend! Lovely greetings from Bavaria
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh well I hope you manage to get your hands on some bananas then! x

      Delete
  7. This looks so delicious, and I love the photos you took as well! I've actually never had banana ice cream, and would love to try it. Do you think it would work with a blender instead of a food processor?

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angelina. Yes, I actually used a blender but just make sure it's one that can blend ice.

      Delete
  8. WOW.. you made it yourself ?? you have to be a chef.. I'm telling you.. this recipe looks so easy and tasty!! and you always think about the health aspect of the dishes you make so it's the perfect combination for me-looks amazing, yummy and healthy! bingo!!

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaaw thanks Ros. I couldn't be a chef though, believe it or not I don't really like cooking too much unless it's really simple like this x

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx