Sunday, August 09, 2015

SWEET & SAVOURY

Tickles my taste buds



If you’re a fan of dishes that combine sweet and savoury, you may thank me for this simple meal idea. Some of you will know that although I’m a nutritionist and self-proclaimed foodie, I’m not a fan of spending copious amounts of time in the kitchen following recipe instructions to create finicky dishes which require distinctive ingredients and skilful culinary techniques; I want to make/cook something that is as easy as preparing a ready-meal, but that ticks all my nutrition and health-related criteria.

I’d never really entertained the idea of eating figs until recently, mainly because I've never found them in my local supermarket. When I finally managed to get my hands on some at a food market, I had only considered incorporating them into a fruit salad or using them as a topping for my breakfast granola, but then I happened on a recipe where they had been used in a sandwich and decided to make a version to suit my taste using wholemeal pita bread, mature cheddar cheese, spinach, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar - and that’s it!




WHAT I DID

*Create a salad by tossing together a good handful of spinach (I’d recommend tearing it into smaller pieces), some roughly chopped pieces of cheddar cheese, 2-3 sliced figs, a good glug of olive oil and a generous splash of balsamic vinegar in a bowl -  here, we are combining the heart-healthy fats of the olive oil, fruit and vegetables, a low salt dressing with tangy and sweet properties by using balsamic vinegar, and some protein and calcium in the form of cheese

*Lightly toast the wholemeal pita bread – wholemeal is a good source of wholegrains compared to white pita, and evidence is growing that eating wholegrains regularly as part of a healthy diet and lifestyle may help to reduce the risk of many common diseases. Recent UK recommendations have also suggested we need to increase our fibre intake (to 30g/day)

*Toss the fig salad mix on top of the toasted pita and devour with your hands like a pizza (and be prepared to get all that oil and vinegar dripping down your mouth), or eat it with a knife and fork if you’re feeling prim and proper!





Later x

14 comments:

  1. I enjoy the combination of sweet and savoury flavours together and any dish which is quick and healthy appeals to me too! I'm not a fan of figs on their own but combined with mature cheddar sounds lovely. As always, your gorgeous photos make this look so attractive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I've never eaten figs on their own

      Delete
  2. Hello Colleen! You are a genius! Im already thank u as Im truly inspired by your recipe. Actually, I seldom eat the 2 savours together( sweet and salt) but Im a huge fan of figs as here in my country are very typical. The dish looks so yummilicious and u have been very good on the way you showed it, well done! Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha a 'genius', I wish, but thank you. I don't find figs very easily here unfortunately x

      Delete
  3. I like sweet and savoury and I love figs! I also like to be kind of fast in the kitchen, and spinach would be very good for me (always lacking iron and vitamins :) I try my best to be healthy, but guess what I ate yesterday - the whole day - onion rings and chips for lunch, two pralines for dinner - OK, yoghurt for breakfast. But it's so much better to have this dish with spinach instead of the junk I ate - but OK, I confess I am trying to be healthier, I will prepare this dish for sure! It look delicious and it is nutritious!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh nooo Denise - well I hope you try it and get back on track soon; I love it because it satisfies my sweet tooth, but balsamic vinegar does that with lots of dishes - good luck and get those pralines out the house - my favourite chocolate, even I'd eat too many of them!

      Delete
  4. Wow dear Colleen, only watching the pictures makes me appetite. This looks so delicious. I like cooking but don't want spend much time in the kitchen. So is like you and always looking for easy doing recipes. Your one sounds easy and healthy. Be sure I will give it a try, especially I love figs.
    Wish you a fantastic week dear Colleen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I'm not a fan of cooking for too long believe it or not! Thank you

      Delete
  5. I gotta say we have such a different taste palette because fruit and savoury is not my thing at all - I dont' like duck and watermelon salads and the like. I might eat this when I am hungry though. But then again that is why you look the way you do and i look the way I do!! ;P xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do love my fruit and savoury - sweet and sour pork with rice and pineapple, or duck and plum - yum! Watermelon is not sweet enough for me. I wish I didn't have a sweet tooth! x

      Delete
  6. Dear Colleen, now my mouth is watering as your creation looks extremely yummy! Thanks for sharing, I really must try this - not only because I love figs :) Like you I don't like it to spend hours in the kitchen for preparing a meal although I think I like cooking more than I admit usually ;) Hope you are well and you are enjoying still the summer! Have a nice weekend, Colleen!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know figs aren't for everyone but I've really grown to love them! Thanks Rena x

      Delete
  7. I've never been crazy about figs, but when I saw this recipe on your instagram, I was instantly intrigued. All of the other ingredients are favourites of mine, and the recipe definitely meets my criteria for simplicity (because I am not a cook!) so I think I'll have to give figs another go :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious to know how you get on trying them again ha ha. Thanks Cee x

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx