Sunday, September 20, 2015

BIRMINGHAM INDEPENDENT FOOD FAIR

They said share your photos.








We’re bombarded with information about food; when you scroll down your social media feed, open your preferred magazine, sit down in front of the television or computer, or listen to the radio, we are inundated with messages, intelligence, reports, news, images and advice about edibles - sorry (not sorry) I'm guilty of contributing to this -  and I do wonder how much of an influence it all has on people's eating habits, especially the unhealthy ones and in the context of the UK's obesity epidemic. 

Despite being a self-proclaimed foodie, I do draw my limits at what I subject myself to when it comes to food: I don’t watch cookery programmes (sorry Great British Bake Off) and I don’t buy food and drink magazines but, putting aside eating out and cooking at home, I do love a good old foodie fair/festival. I've probably mentioned before that I’m not a street-food fan so when I attend these foodie fairs, I’m typically going for recipe/meal ideas and to network, rather than devour all that it is on offer at each stall.

Last week, I attended the Birmingham Independent Food Fair, an annual event that I go to each year (you may recall the previous write-up), which hosts a selection of independent chefs, restaurants, bars, producers and street-food traders. I taste-tested, chatted and laughed my way round the exhibition, purchasing a few spices to stock the kitchen cupboard and enjoying an attentively made pancake and freshly blended fruit smoothie along the way. They said 'share your photos', so that's what I'm doing.








WHAT I WORE: Gladiator sandals (Topshop)      Suede waistcoat (Zara)      Bag  (Mulberry)      Cropped trousers (Oasis)

Later x

8 comments:

  1. Good evening Colleen! Yep, I perfectly remember the post from last year and Im glad you got the chance to go also this year, the next I want to be there too!:) Im not a fan of street food as u but this kind of events are a different thing, inspirational for new meals, tastes and recipes. You look so smashing and Im totally drooling over your whole outfit, wish I wore it right now! The vest is amazing, love the '70s/boho vibes of it!:) Have a good week ahead! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe a year has gone so quickly. Yes I love 70s right now - going to be living in my flares! x

      Delete
  2. First of all, you look so beautiful! I thought it was a skirt, but now I see they are trousers! Second, I loved the photos and third, what for a lovely festival! I never went to a food festival, but hopefully I can attend it next year. In fact, I started watching some food programmes a few years ago, on the Food Channel, because people at home watched them. They didn't really influence me, but now my health did :) Not that I am unhealthy, but I told you that I have unhealthy habits. I am trying to change them, by eating more vegetables. This food festival would have been of great help to me! Nice post and nice that you went there!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting to hear your opinion that the food programmes didn't influence you. I'm pleased you're working on trying to improve your unhealthy habits anyway. Keep going............

      Delete
  3. Ok, now we are three. Like Lilli I like to visit this food fair too next year. Dear Colleen, I swear I will never visit your blog again, if I'm hungry. ;) All these foods look very delicious. I like food fair with food from other countries. Very inspiring. Also your outfit. I like the color flash of your bag in your combination.
    Have a great start into the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Colleen, thank you for additional sharing your tasteful and stylish outfit! I love your suede vest - goes perfect with the black dress. And I agree, food is everywhere and I have to admit that food definitely belongs to the topics I talk about most :) Therefore I could imagine I would have loved to visit this fair, obviously there were very yummy things offered! But now I'm hungry ... :)
    Wish you a happy week!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops sorry for making you hungry Rena x

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx