Sunday, September 06, 2015

BIRMINGHAM INTERNATIONAL FASHION WEEK

Fashion week season is here.

Credit: www.bhmfashionweek.com
If you’re not a social media fiend, you've probably managed to escape the torrent of excitement being spewed out by fashion bloggers around the world about the forthcoming fashion weeks: New York, London, Milan, Paris. Despite my interest in fashion, I've never chosen to experience the hustle and bustle that goes on at these events; I’m quite content watching it from my PC or iPad although I’d be lying if I said I wouldn't go if I was cordially invited, especially NYFW!

Unfortunately, Birmingham gets a little lost in the world fashion scene; we have a few events here and there, but you’re highly unlikely to catch Karlie Kloss, Cara Delevingne  and Kendall Jenner strutting their stuff on the runway, nonetheless, I try to support Birmingham’s evolving fashion culture where I can. You may recall I've been working as Birmingham International FashionWeek’s blogger ambassador over on their website in the lead up to Birmingham International Fashion Week, which took place over 2 days this weekend – 4th & 5th September – at the prestigious Burlington Hotel. I attended their first show on Friday and thought I would share just a few of the highlights from the night.

On arrival we were treated to a glass of Prosecco and handed our heaving goody bag before heading to the fashion lounge and showroom where I took the opportunity to have a good old catch up with Ruth from SheWoreChic (we both turned up in knee-high boots) and network with other fashion enthusiasts. The presenter and host for the evening was celebrity stylist and model, Lewis Duncan-Weedon, who introduced collections from the various international fashion designers - which included Arabel Manners, Segrid Allen, Mary Hunter, MALIHA and Green Embassy  - and the speaker sessions by fashion brand strategist, Fabian Hirose, and blogger/vlogger, Becky Sheeran, from TalkBeckyTalk; both gave very thought-provoking and inspirational talks about different aspects of the fashion industry. We were also treated to a Make Up London Academy master-class about contouring – I now ‘think’ I know how to get those coveted cheek bones and jaw line we ladies love!














Later x

17 comments:

  1. Good evening Colleen! Yes, I remember it perfectly and Im happy for you you could join the event this weekend, must have been amazing and thrilling! But I know what u mean regarding Birmingham, here in my city is even worse when it comes to fashin events. Btw, I now want to see how u rock the contouring, a selfie on ig maybe?:P Many kisses and have a lovely week ahead! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't think my contouring skills are good enough for an IG selfie yet though ha x

      Delete
  2. Looks a lovely event. Nice runway shots and you got spoiled but what did you wear?! But I am curious what you wore. Especially BC you are representing Birmingham :) I hope you Instagram some more too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I just threw on something I found in my wardrobe lol - I didn't take many of me and those I did take didn't turn out very well soooo x

      Delete
  3. Yes, what did you wear? Photos please. I'm the same, I'm happy to read about it and watch the fashion week hustle and bustle. But of course, I wouldn't think twice if I'm cordially invited. Haha. I go easy on the contouring (which my makeup artist friend taught me, and she even gave me a Smashbox one which is soooo good) coz I end up looking like I rolled each cheek in chocolate dusting powder more appropriate for baking. Haha. But I'm learning. I think I nailed it on Friday. Photo's now my Instagram profile pic. Have a lovely week ahead! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha yes they talked about putting a darker colour on the cheeks so I'd probably look like I rolled my cheek in 75% dark chocolate if I did the contouring myself. Will have a look at your IG profile. My outfit photos aren't great I'm afraid, I was more focused on the models x

      Delete
  4. That's really good to know about Birmingham Fashion week! You know I am spending some (many!) months far from Birmingham, and I am eager to go back, I have to confess, also to be able to wear knee high boots :) I loooved the black skirt with the nice top, and to know who were there, like Becky! The premises were very beautiful! True, I agree with you - I am not like "OMG, NYFW, Fashion week here and there" like I may have been in the past (never like that, but I admit I have enjoyed more before). Though I also agree that if I were invited I would go :) I hope you have a great week, dear Colleen!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that was one of my favourite outfits too - in fact I think it was a dress x

      Delete
  5. Dear Colleen,
    I never heard about the fashion week in Birningham, but the pictures looks very intersting. I'm sure this was a great event. The German fashion week is twice at year in Berlin. I hope someone will invite me. But the most labels are interested to invite young bloggers.
    Like Lilli, I would like to see your outfit at this evening. Maybe in Instagram :))
    Wish you a fantastic week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaw well I hope you get an invite to the German fashion week, your blog has such a great following! x

      Delete
  6. Congrats on being invited to BFW! I would love to go to any shows, regardless of size, just seeing the clothes up close is so amazing! Although I think if I had to pick one, I would chose PFW. Just the fact that it's Paris makes it so much more alluring!

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right Angelina, there is something quite special about Paris when it comes to fashion.

      Delete
  7. Wow great event!!! nice fashion!!!
    Have a nice day, dear Colleen!!! my g+ for you!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Colleen, in fact I think it is a pity that the Birmingham FW don't have the huge attention as I like the fashion you selected to show here. I can also imagine that this discussion you attended was very interesting. Sometimes I have the opinion that the focus is not always on the really good things and therefore I thank you ambassador for introducing the FW there. Have a nice weekend!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there are only four main cities that get the huge fashion week attention I guess, so I've just accepted that. Thanks Rena x

      Delete
  9. Great photos of this amazing event, Colleen! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx