Sunday, September 13, 2015

EAT LESS, MOVE MORE.....

A lot more!




Consider this! You wake up, fling on your activewear, grab your hydration bottle and work out so hard that you can’t wait to get in the shower to wash away the sweat from your skin; you then sit down ready for a hard day’s work with your laptop or computer in tow and rarely move from that position until the clock turns 5pm. You feel smug that you managed to fit in the recommended amount of exercise that morning, only to be told you are still considered sedentary……yes sedentary! Last week was National Fitness Day, and therefore I took the opportunity to remind my clients that even if you go to the gym or do some other form of exercise for 30-45 minutes a day, but sit down the rest of the time, you are still described as having a sedentary lifestyle.

Research has shown that remaining seated for too long may put you at increased risk of diabetes and cardiovascular problems, regardless of how much traditional exercise you do -  even I was shocked when I first realised this. In addition to the 150 minutes of exercise we should be doing each week, we should aim to reduce the time we spend sitting down throughout the day. Recommendations suggest breaking up long periods of sitting time with short bouts of activity, even for just 1-2 minutes, and trying to take an active break from sitting every 30 minutes. I know this can be more difficult with certain jobs, but it’s imperative you look for opportunities during the working day to try to move more.

On that note, I’m off to stretch my legs! I may invest in one of these for the office.


Later x

11 comments:

  1. Hello Colleen! Oh my, need to invest in one of those too now! Even though, love sports, go to the gym and I like to be active, I spend the most of the day sit and isnt good at all! I need to break with some exercise but sometimes is very hard especially when u are concentrated. You look so smashing in the pics, love ur hair and the whole outfit, effortless yet stylish, well done! Have a wonderful week ahead Colleen, many hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely easy to forget when you're engrossed in your work. Thanks for your kind words about the pics ha ha x

      Delete
  2. OMG! I am the typical example of that, dear Colleen, unfortunately. OK, I move the 1-2 or even more minutes every 30 min and I don't know how I could come to this point. In the past I used to go tap dancing and I was good on that, presented myself on theaters - yes! - as a flameco dancer (because I have a diplom on that and was part of a group) and went roller skating twice a week. Not to mention the long walks. And now I am a potato :( I am trying to reach one personal goal to change this bad picture! Wish me luck and send me good vibes! A very nice week, Colleen!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wishing you good luck, lots of determination, motivation and good vibes.......hope you got them!!

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen.
    I also sit the whole day at my office-desk. But a really try to stand up and walk a little bit every hour. (One reason is, I drink a lot of green tea at work and so I have to visit the bathroom very much) ;)
    The other reason is, I got a little step counter in the pocket of my pants. I I try to have 10.000 steps every day. And now I have an eye on these amazing fitness Tables. This is a great invention.
    Have a very nice week, dear Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I used to have a pedometer/step counter and tried to aim for the 10,000 steps and didn't always reach it unfortunately. You made me chuckle about the green tea, it's so true!

      Delete
  4. I'm so sedentary in that case, even if I break my balls from dancing or circuit training (sometimes). Hahaha. My old job required me to be on my feet the whole day, but I'm paying for it now with a developing bunion that hurts. I know I need to up my exercise, but I'm too tired sometimes. I can't have it all! Hope you're having a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the issue for most people isn't it, tiredness and time. Most times I don't feel like doing anything but once I've done it I do feel more revitalized x

      Delete
  5. As I get older I like nothing more than being in bed with all my accroutements around me. well i like baths but i end up shriveling up. I am trying to exercise more but it just doesn't seem to be happening. I am also trying to be realistic and trying not to pig out so much - so small steps eh? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl I'm with you, I love my duvet time and yes I agree small steps......but not too small! x

      Delete
  6. Hi Colleen, you always pushing me to do something with myself!! if you remember I am not an active person at all! I sit through all my days including at work so this exercise solution during work is brilliant!
    you look so well-built and stylish - it looks you definitely implement what you recommend ff!

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx