Sunday, October 11, 2015

AFTERNOON TEA

For a gentleman..






I love Birmingham’s evolving restaurant scene, but I typically reserve meals out for the weekend or special occasions; firstly because I need to give my credit card a break sometimes, and secondly, because when I dine out I tend to indulge a little……yes I’m a nutritionist and I indulge!  I’ve mentioned before that I tend to follow an 80/20 eating regime whereby around 80% of the time I eat whole, nutrient dense, minimally processed foods, and 20% of the time I eat foods that we should eat less often – what some might call ‘treat’ foods. I would categorise an afternoon tea consisting of white bread sandwiches, pork pies, sausage rolls, donuts and bacon scones with butter as part of my 20% and this is exactly what I had (except the pork pies because I’m not a fan of them) when I attended the launch of Hotel La Tour’s exclusive Gentleman’s Afternoon Tea range.

Hotel La Tour is a modern, luxury, 4-star hotel in the heart of Birmingham’s city centre, and last week they introduced a new menu concept to their offerings, which is based on the quintessential British tradition of Afternoon Tea. What makes the Hotel’s Tea different, apart from the fresh, contemporary, chicly-styled bar it’s served in? It is a ‘Gentleman’s’ Afternoon Tea which, in contrast to standard afternoon tea menus (which they still serve), feature hearty delicacies such as Welsh rarebit, pork pies, cheese and bacon scones, New York deli club sandwiches and mini donuts with a dipping sauce, and rather than a glass of bubbly, you’re offered the finest beer, cider or ale. Characteristically, in my opinion and various others, Afternoon Tea is a treat for the ladies-that-lunch type, but Hotel La Tour have added a twist and created a new, exquisite Tea menu aimed at the sophisticated gentleman.

I indulged in the freshly made sausage rolls, which had a perfect balance of meat and flaky pastry and I tried the warm toasted club sandwiches, which was a refreshing change to soggy cucumber ones; I finished off with a cheeky donut dipped in a smooth caramel sauce (although a chocolate sauce was also available) and a savoury cheese and bacon scone, which was light and fluffy but had a little too much butter on for my liking, plus I prefer my scones as a sweet with jam. Nonetheless, it was all finger-licking good and I did have to restrain myself from having an extra sandwich and sausage roll. I’m not a beer gal, so I settled for an orange juice to wash it all down, which I guess wouldn't usually be included in the price.

Whilst munching away, to some live music, I chatted to a few of the blokes that attended and asked whether a Gentleman’s Afternoon Tea would be something they’d consider in the future; I had a mixed response, but when I asked the women they all felt it would be new-fangled way to treat the men in their lives (spouse/companion or client) and I’m inclined to agree, just remember to fit in a good workout afterwards.












Later x

Disclosure: I was invited along to the menu tasting where all food was complementary, and, as expected on my blog, this is an honest and personal account of my experience and opinions

11 comments:

  1. Hello Colleen! I always thought it was a thing for ladies as well, so is very nice they launched a type for gentleman too, very chic and refined. To be honest, I never take part to an afternoon tea, but next time in England I have to have one. The menu sounds delish (except for the meat, as u know Im veggie), You were so smashing, trendy and very pretty; love the vest and the perfectly matched sandals. Wish u a great week ahead Colleen, hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a vegetarian or health-focused afternoon tea would be a nice idea too x

      Delete
  2. Love your jumper, vest, sweater?? Sorry, not sure how to call it, but I love the colour theme matched with white :) Haven't been to Afternoon Tea for a long time. The last memorable one for me was with the Mr at Waterstone's Piccadilly Circus. Also took a few friends there. I know, it's a bookshop, but because it's a 1930s building, it's just gorgeous. You just reminded me to go back. As for the men having mixed opinion about the service, you know them, they don't have much to say when you need them to say something. Hahahaha. Have a good week ahead! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what to call it either ha ha, I just saw it in Zara and took it home! Ha ha true what you say about men! x

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen,
    I also thought "afternoon tea" is typical a women thing and men prefer late afternoon beer. ;) This place looks very interesting and I'm sure with all this delicious food and the piano man, you had much fun. I'm a fan of afternoon tea. It'd some of my rituals every weekend.
    You look very stylish dear Colleen. The long jumper matches perfect with your sandals.
    I wish you a very nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cla and yes I agree, afternoon tea does tend to be something typically associated with women x

      Delete
  4. Who doesn't want to go to Hotel la tour now, so great this afternoon tea seems to be! I loved the sandwiches look, they must be very tasty! I think a gentlemen's afternoon tea is interesting. The piano also helps to create a perfect atmosphere! I would live to have some of the tasty things, as I said, and I am trying my best to improve my "diet". Funny that I wrote diet one of these days and someone understood I am/was on a diet, so it's good to talk to a nutritionist - by diet you know I mean everyday eating, not to lose weight! Hope you have a great week, dear Colleen!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear Colleen, this looks extremely yummy and how good you follow this 80/20-rule in the context of what yu eat that you have been able to enjoy this meal! Honestly I think your rule makes really sense and now I'm only sad we don't have such kind of restaurants which offer such a bunch of yummy things here in Bavaria ... Love also your super stylish cape! It looks fantastic together with the white <3
    Wish you a happy weekend!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post as usual! :)
    Have a nice weekend!

    http://www.itsmetijana.blogspot.rs/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful place!!! You look so pretty!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend, dear Colleen!!!

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a great idea an afternoon tea launch for gentelman!!!!! the food looks so delicious and tasty! you look so amazing - love this combo! so chic! kisses hun..

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx