Sunday, October 25, 2015

PUMPKIN & LENTIL COURGETTI

A plant-based seasonal gem of a meal





The forthcoming weekend will see some of us participating in Halloween celebrations,‘some of us’ will not include me, and I say that proudly rather than with regret. I haven’t revelled in the festivities of Halloween since I was a child, and now I only really observe the true spirit of it when I’m greeted at my door by children disguised as witches and other ghoulish characters, and whom I always feel obliged to give a treat to because I can’t take the risk of being tricked - there’s some very wayward children out there these days.

Halloween, coinciding with the midst of autumn, is also a time when avid foodies take full advantage of farmer’s markets to make their seasonal culinary delights, however, if I see another pumpkin soup it will be too soon; I’m not a fan of soup at the best of times! I was always going to do a recipe post this week, but I debated whether I should conform and make the cliché pumpkin-based dish. Having talked myself out of it, I happened on a hearty, somewhat healthy pumpkin recipe which I thought I would try: it looked creamy (I typically love a Carbonara sauce); it gave me an opportunity to use my spiralizer again; it suggested I could sprinkle feta cheese on it; and it resembled proper comfort food, which is exactly what I need now the nights are drawing in and the temperatures are dropping. It’s a nutrient dense, plant-based gem of a meal if I do say so myself: Pumpkin & Lentil Courgetti.

I adapted the dish by adding some lentils to boost the protein and fibre content, substituted the cream for low fat natural yoghurt to reduce the fat and calorie content, and I used the seasoning I already stocked in my cupboard rather than what the recipe suggested.

What I used:
A generous slice of a whole pumpkin
500ml of vegetable stock (or to taste)
Natural yoghurt
Herbs of choice including salt and pepper (I’m not keen on garlic but most chefs would suggest this I guess)
Olive oil
Courgette
½ tin of lentils
Onions
Feta cheese

What I did:

-Slice your pumpkin into smaller slices and place in a baking tray with your herbs of choice (I used bay leaves, thyme and rosemary), add a dash of salt & pepper and a drizzle of olive oil to cover all the slices. Put them in a pre-heated oven (gas mark 6) and roast until soft, which will be approximately 45 minutes

-Whilst they’re baking, prepare your other ingredients: spriralize the courgette (I tend to use my spiralizer for this) and sauté your lentils and onions in a pan

-When the pumpkins are roasted, you will need to puree them with some vegetable stock and two tablespoons of natural yoghurt; I also added a teaspoon of turmeric for colour and an additional nutritional kick. I just pureed it in my standard blender that I use to make smoothies to do this

-Add your spiralized courgette to the pan of lentils and onions and fry for a further 1-2 minutes. In my opinion you don’t want the courgette to be too soft, you want it to have a little al-dente bite just as you would with pasta in a sauce.

-Add the pureed pumpkin mixture to the pan of courgetti and lentils and heat through gently until piping hot.

-Serve with a generous amount of feta cheese and enjoy straight away. Well obviously take a picture for social media first!








 Later x

5 comments:

  1. Good evening Colleen! Oh well, you will smile but I always loved Halloween 'cause all the treats, though Im not a fan of costumes or themed parties. Here we dont celebrate it, just in the last years is felt more. Btw, your recipe looks so delicious and the perfect one for the cooler autumn nights. Id like to taste it right now, the sauce in particular seems so savory. Well done! Many kisses and have a great week ahead! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Colleen, Halloween is in Germany not so big. Of cause some bars offers Halloween party's and in very supermarket you can buy Halloween sweets. But this is all. Sure for kids this is much fun.
    Pumpkins are typical for fall and I love the cook meals with pumpkins. My favorite is a pumpkin soup with ginger or coconutsmilk.
    Your recipe look so delicious and make me mouse watering.
    Dear Colleen with you an amazing week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dish really looks great, dear Colleen! As a matter of fact, it adds what I love, pumpkins and lentils. I wanted to prepare a pumpkin lentil soup yesterday (I like soups :), but in the end it turned to be good, I think, but the appearance was you can imagine - due to lentils, and I blended them, it looks a bit disgusting, though, as I said, the taste was good. That is my "programme" to lose more weight and be healtier :) I will try your recipe, it looks very beautiful!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Looks so yum. Your kitchen gadget is definitely being put to good use. I wish I can cook more. The Mr does it. Luckily, he tries to eat and cook healthy, so it rubs off me. I would really like to try some more vegetarian options. Have a lovely weekend soonest! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. saw this on the instagram and immediately told my hubby that this is going to be our friday night dinner!!!!! thank you for that! you have the best recipes-easy and delicius!

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx