Sunday, October 04, 2015

SNACK FLATLAY

Not another flatlay.




Further to my previous post, where I alluded to the fact that my job requires some national travel (unfortunately no international travel, but I’m working on that), I thought I would discuss with you some of my favourite snacks to keep me going throughout the day. I don’t necessarily advocate that you have to snack as part of a healthy diet, however, when your day starts early and ends late with long periods between meals, or if I’m just a little more peckish than usual, I find it useful to have some healthy snacks to hand so that I’m not tempted to buy or having to resort to buying less healthy options. Here are some of my personal favourite snacks and of course there are others, but these tend to be my portable staple bites when I’m on the move:

FRUIT – fruit is particularly convenient and travels well; you don’t typically need any equipment or resources to prepare (providing you have washed the fruit beforehand) or store it, and and it will help you to reach your five-a-day. Among my personal favourites when travelling are bananas and grapes, which I find really take the edge off my appetite.

APPLE AND ALMOND NUT BUTTER – I really enjoy the combination of apple and almond butter for its taste, texture and health appeal – almond butter is low in sugar, contains healthy fats and is source of protein and fibre. Nut butters do not require refrigeration so before I leave in the morning, I will transfer a couple of tablespoons into a little a container, slice up an apple and then when I get peckish during the day I just dunk my apples into the butter -  yum!! The extra protein you get from the butter may help to keep you a bit fuller too.

NUTS – I find nuts to be slightly moreish and they are quite calorie dense, so I always share out my portion for the day rather than taking the whole packet, which I’d easily devour. Again, a really nutritious and satisfying snack that is convenient when on the move, and sometimes I’ll have them with dried fruit such as raisins.

RYVITA WITH SPREAD – How easy would it be to buy a packet of crisps or biscuits whilst out and about? Well my alternative is wholegrain crispbreads. I’ll wrap a few up in foil and take a small amount of spread with me in a container; I find hummus keeps better than dairy products, which require refrigeration so that’s usually my choice of spread (see my homemade hummus). Don’t forget the plastic knife; you can get them from most cafes/coffee shops…………ooops *covers mouth*.

WATER – okay maybe not a snack per se but keeping hydrated throughout the day reduces my appetite in between meals and ensures I’m not mistaking hunger for thirst, so I always aim to have a bottle of water with me when I’m travelling from place to place.

What are some of your favourite snacks?

Later x

10 comments:

  1. Good evening Colleen! Oh, you see, soon the travels will be also international, I know u are great! Your tips are very good and have to confess that sometimes tend to forget to have some healthy snacks when I am on the go, thats probably why I eat everything during dinner then!:P Nuts are my faves, together with fruit and water. I never had almond nut butter u know, definitely have to try it soon. Have a nice week ahead Colleen, hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's quite easy to overeat at the next meal when you're hungry x

      Delete
  2. I loved to know about your snacks, especially about fruits and nuts, because I have been changing, as I told you... in the past I used to put in my bag crisps, cookies, chocolate. Now I have raisins, maybe cashew nuts, dried apricot. I still have to work on liking apples as a snack :) I usually had soda with me, but now I always have water. I am not eating chocolate for 2 weeks (no diet, but another problem) and also not soda; it has already changed the way I perceive food immensely. I feel now everything is too sweet... it's incredible :) And I think I got more energy since then!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely to hear your progress Denise, fantastic news and thank you for sharing; keep up the good work! x

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen, first of all this is such a fantastic pictures - o love it.
    And I alway enjoy your healthy tip. In my desk at my office, I have always nuts and almonds. Between lunch and dinner I always snack a handful of nuts and fresh fruit. I love almond butter and I use it for cooking. Soda was never my favorite drink. I always prefer green tea and water.
    Yes, this sounds reasonable and healthy. But I confess, I love chocolate and cookies too. ;)

    Wish you a fantastic week dear Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh of course...... I do love my chocolate as well! x

      Delete
  4. I love munching on apples (extra sweet from South Africa thru M&S coz it reminds me of the taste of this fruit called Indian mango back in the Philippines) but haven't tried almond nut butter. I'll look for that. Thanks for the recommendation. Hope you're having a good week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely has to be sweet apples - Granny Smith and Cox are my favourites. Will have to look up that Indian mango you're talking about! x

      Delete
  5. Dear Colleen, you are very wise that you even take care of your health during your national travels! It makes much more sense to eat such food instead the fast food everywhere is offered. In my last job I was also often on business and tried to eat as much as healthy :) Hope you are well and I wish you already today a happy start into the weekend <3
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, it's too easy to just resort to fast food! x

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx