Sunday, November 08, 2015

#FITSPO

Fitness inspiration to get me going through winter





It can be easy to get into winter hibernation mode when it comes to exercise; colder temperatures, regular precipitation, gloomy grey skies and a roaring flame from the fire in your cozy living room can make the disciplined training schedule of road/park running or going to the gym a little more arduous. At this time of year, some of us may need a tad more encouragement, motivation and inspiration to get going with our physical activity regime, and it's possible to get some of this from social media.

Whilst there is a quite a bit of debate about the role social media plays in inspiring better living – some critics suggesting that it promotes a new form of fascism alongside self-loathing and addictive behaviours, rather than a healthy lifestyle – I personally take the images of health devotees posting pictures of ‘clean’ food, sculpted abs and captions with health-related rhetoric with  a pinch of salt and just appreciate them for what they are: pretty photos that convey a very small snapshot of peoples’ lives. Nonetheless, some of the posts I see on the various social media platforms I find quite motivational, inspirational and useful in terms of my own personal fitness goals, and today I've decided to share a few of my personal favourite ‘fitspo’ (short for fitspiration) accounts that I enjoy following for different reasons, and which sometimes give me a gentle, visual nudge to get sweaty and ‘strong’, especially at this time of year!

Brittne Babe -  This girl has transformed my home and garden workouts (don't underestimate working out at home!) by incorporating many of her suggestions into my exercise routines. Her tips, which she shares via video posts on her Instagram, on how to get a bootylicious booty and abs of steel are great for people who do not like or have the time to get to a gym.

Zanna Van Dijk – She brings a sense of humour and humility to the fitness world, particularly through her Snapchat. As a personal trainer, she gives us a glimpse into her world when she is working out inside London’s popular Lomax gym, and she occasionally offers ideas on how to challenge yourself to get fitter.

Girl Gains -  founded by Zanna Van Dijk and her two best fitness buddies, I love what this account stands for. Girl Gains is described as, "a movement which aims to unite women and inspire them to become fitter, healthier and happier and I really think they are doing this" -  their posts reflect this.

So Sascha -  I like the mix of high street fashion and fitness that Sascha brings to her audience. One day you can see her road running in the latest stylish active-wear, and another day you’ll see her looking sassy and fit in heels and a biker jacket.

Shona Vertue – I’m not into yoga, but this lady’s account is filled with images that have made me consider getting into it. Alas, I’m not that impressionable and therefore I follow her chiefly for entertainment: her witty captions; tropical backdrops (when she’s not in London); and remarkable body poses.


Share with me some of your favourites!






Wearing Forever 21 leggings and top.

Later x

10 comments:

  1. Morning Colleen! Today the cold is arrived also here and is definitely something I hate when working out outdoors as Im easy to that "hibernation" mood too in winter:P But people like u are very motivational and inspiring for me, look at you, you are just amazing and so in shape in the pics! I just bought a similar set for gym but from Tezenis. I dont follow any special account but I do enjoy the yoga ones. Regarding that debate, usually a good and real photos always inspires me, if is fake there is no point and sense. Have a great week ahead my dear, many hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I enjoy the yoga ones even though I'm not into yoga myself, although I do like to turn myself upside down occasionally. Thanks for your kind words x

      Delete
  2. Wow.. look at you girl! how do you do that ?? I am impresed!!! you cook so well, have a great style and exercise like this - you are a my inspiration ! I don't work out at all and it pretty a shame but when I look at your posts you make me wanna start :) have a great week hun

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaw bless you, I do try and really notice a difference when I don't exercise. I hope you find something you enjoy to get you started with being more physically active, even if it's just extra walking along a scenic route or finding exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home x

      Delete
  3. What for a great body, dear Colleen, really well done with exercising! I need to do the same and that is a goal for 2016. I normally don't have any new year's resolution, but now I feel the need of. I like when I see dancing channels, so that could be a good motivation for me :) I loved your clothes, they are beautiful and comfortable, I guess, and you look stunning!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Denise, that's a great idea!. If you can find something you enjoy, I think you are likely to feel more motivated to do it. Dancing would be an interesting option - perhaps you should try it now and then set yourself a goal to increase it for 2016 maybe? x

      Delete
  4. Aaaaaah I need more exercise. You look amazing dear Colleen. Just the pictures of you are a big motivation for me.
    At the moment I'm very busy and I wish I had more time for sport. I feel my body want more sport. So I exercise 3 times at week with some YouTube channels and sometimes I go to a yoga class.
    Dear Colleen you look fantastic and so fit. Great Work!!
    Have a nice week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the YouTube channels offer some great videos and for free which is great; I've not really thought to use them, I'll have to give them a try, thank you x

      Delete
  5. Hey there,
    I love doing yoga in Winter as in Summer and I recently started running again (I was pregnant and after delivery not supposed to go running for six months...). It feels really good to be back on track after a year break adue to pregnancy and delivery. Your blog is beautiful! I would love to stay in touch!
    Xx
    Larissa
    cenestquedelachance.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely know what you mean; when you get back into exercise following a break, it really does feel good to be back. I may have to try a yoga class one day. Thanks Larissa x

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx